MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just joined the forum and have a question right out of the gate. A preliminary search didn't allow me to find an answer, so here goes.... I was cleaning the .45 extractor (having removed it) and accidentally popped the spring and spring guide out of the extractor. (This is the spring and guide that are inside the extractor, not the external spring that resets the extractor). In any case, having shot the spring across the room, I now have multiple replacement springs and guides, but am having a problem snapping/pushing the spring and guide back into place, inside the extractor. My local gun smith said he's never done this, so passed me along to the Internet. It's as if the spring is a bit too long to fit the space, so when I insert the two parts (spring and guide) into the extractor, I'm "hard pressed" to push them into place. As I'm sure you all know, the curved end of the guide matches with the hole in the extractor where the pin goes through to hold the extractor. Question... Is there a tool required to compress the spring prior to insertion, or some trick to replacing this spring along with the guide? Thank you for your help! Captainjohn

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had that exact thing happen to me, only the spring was broken in mine and I couldn't find the pieces. Where did you find the spring and guide that goes inside the extractor? I even talked the S&W and they sent me the wrong parts. I can't find them anywhere.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had that exact thing happen to me, only the spring was broken in mine and I couldn't find the pieces. Where did you find the spring and guide that goes inside the extractor? I even talked the S&W and they sent me the wrong parts. I can't find them anywhere.
Hi Rangerman... sorry for the delay; I've been out of town with no access to the forum. Just returned home to see your note... I was able to purchase spring and guide at Midwest Gun Works Inc. Ph. # 636-475 7300. They were very helpful in ensuring I was getting the right parts. I ordered a couple of springs and "retainers" (not sure what it's called, but it's the part that has a curved end that accepts the extractor pin). Here's the issue... the .45 uses an internal spring and guide that's inside the extractor, but not the .40 and 9 mm. I've already shot a spring and retainer across the room and said "good by" to both, thus ordering extras. They are very difficult to install, but I'm trying to think of a way to use a nail to help compress the spring... I'll let you know if I figure it out. Order extras!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts