MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just joined the forum and have a question right out of the gate. A preliminary search didn't allow me to find an answer, so here goes.... I was cleaning the .45 extractor (having removed it) and accidentally popped the spring and spring guide out of the extractor. (This is the spring and guide that are inside the extractor, not the external spring that resets the extractor). In any case, having shot the spring across the room, I now have multiple replacement springs and guides, but am having a problem snapping/pushing the spring and guide back into place, inside the extractor. My local gun smith said he's never done this, so passed me along to the Internet. It's as if the spring is a bit too long to fit the space, so when I insert the two parts (spring and guide) into the extractor, I'm "hard pressed" to push them into place. As I'm sure you all know, the curved end of the guide matches with the hole in the extractor where the pin goes through to hold the extractor. Question... Is there a tool required to compress the spring prior to insertion, or some trick to replacing this spring along with the guide? Thank you for your help! Captainjohn

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had that exact thing happen to me, only the spring was broken in mine and I couldn't find the pieces. Where did you find the spring and guide that goes inside the extractor? I even talked the S&W and they sent me the wrong parts. I can't find them anywhere.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had that exact thing happen to me, only the spring was broken in mine and I couldn't find the pieces. Where did you find the spring and guide that goes inside the extractor? I even talked the S&W and they sent me the wrong parts. I can't find them anywhere.
Hi Rangerman... sorry for the delay; I've been out of town with no access to the forum. Just returned home to see your note... I was able to purchase spring and guide at Midwest Gun Works Inc. Ph. # 636-475 7300. They were very helpful in ensuring I was getting the right parts. I ordered a couple of springs and "retainers" (not sure what it's called, but it's the part that has a curved end that accepts the extractor pin). Here's the issue... the .45 uses an internal spring and guide that's inside the extractor, but not the .40 and 9 mm. I've already shot a spring and retainer across the room and said "good by" to both, thus ordering extras. They are very difficult to install, but I'm trying to think of a way to use a nail to help compress the spring... I'll let you know if I figure it out. Order extras!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Captainjohn, thanks for the reply. I will talk with them. My Shields are the 2.0 versions in 9mm. They both have the extractor with that little spring in it. One of mine broke and it was not extracting the spent cartridge all of the time. I ordered a new extractor from Midwest that said it was for the 9 and 40 Shield. I got it and it does not have that little spring set up in it. It does not work. It will not go into battery properly or grab the case to pull it out of the chamber. This really helps to know that I have to look to the parts that fit the 45 to find what I need. The 45 was the predecessor to the 2.0 series of the Shields. I bet they used that setup in at least some of the 2.0 series of 9mm. Mine were both purchased right after the 2.0 series came out. Again, thanks for your help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rangerman... You've shared good info for me too... The rep at Midwest Gun either said directly, or implied that only the .45 used the internal extractor spring. However, he must have been mistaken, OR was referencing an earlier version of the Shield, or didn't know; thus per your knowledge, the 9mm also uses the same spring to help with extraction. The trouble I'm having is, it seems the spring is slightly long, so when it's compressed to fit inside the extractor, it seems like it won't fit. I've not yet tried any tool to help hold everything in place.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Is the spring coil bound when you compress it? Compress it with your calipers to see if the compressed length is longer than the recess is deep. If so, it is too long. You may trim it a bit, but being sure you have the right spring is better.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree... The supply shop where I made the purchase, THOUGHT it was right, but your point is very valid... I'll take your suggestion to make sure it even fits in the first place... then trim to size as needed.

A warning to all who remove the extractor, without being aware of the internal spring... if it comes out (via spring action), you'll likely never find it and it'll be a bear trying to get it replaced and inserted. Just passing along what I've learned when cleaning the .45

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I’ll pass along an old trick that I’ve used on occasion over the years:

When dealing with small parts with springs under compression, performing the last step or two of disassembly with the parts and hand(s) inside a transparent bag (one gallon zip-loc or bigger) will help keep those parts from getting away.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good thought! In this case, I didn't even know that there was a spring inside the extractor! I've shot Glocks mostly, no spring there...nor on my Shield 9 and .40... only on the .45. All to say, I was surprised to hear something hit the wall, when I was wiping down the extractor. The Q tip must have caught it just right... and that was my first knowledge of the spring! However, your suggestion fits SO many applications, so thank you very much. Captainjohn

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
never done this on a 45, but assume it is the same design as 9 and 40. Maybe the video below will help:
Thank you for putting this video online! I've seen this one before, and it was a very helpful video. The spring I'm wrestling with is actually inside the extractor itself, not the one that's shown here. It was very thoughtful for you to add this to the conversation. Captainjohn

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks for all of the info guys. I ordered my springs and guides. When I get them, if I get it installed successfully I will let you know how I did it. It will probably be a least a week to get them. Shipping has been pretty slow lately.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Captainjohn, did you ever get your spring in the extractor? I got my parts today from MGW and I got it in there and it works well. Here is how I did it. In the little spring guide there is a notch that fits into the extractor between the two little bumps on the slot in the extractor. That orients that guide so that the curved end is in the proper position. I dropped that guide in that spot on the extractor first without the spring. The while keeping my thumb over that guide so it doesn't come out I slid the spring over the end of the guide. Then with a 3/32 pin punch I compressed the spring until it dropped into the slot. It worked perfectly. The pin punch is key because the bump on the end of the punch keeps it centered in the spring so it doesn't slip off of the spring. I will shoot the pistol next week for a final test, but I cycled several rounds through it and it functioned well. I can tell by the feel it should be fine.
Hope that helps you.

Anyone that has an early 2.0 9mm Shield and probably a 40 will have this linear spring and guide inside a slot in the extractor. If you ever need one it only shows up as a part for the 45 Shield. I don't know about the later editions of the 2.0 series but both of mine are from the first 6 months or so of the Shield 2.0 series. S&W customer service didn't even know that because I called them and they sent me the wrong parts. All fixed now thanks to captainjohn's info.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay... Here's the update on getting the extractor spring into the extractor. It's a challenge, but I've not lost any more springs or retainers (the black plastic insert that holds the spring inside the extractor). Here's the key... You'll notice the spring holder has a rounded insert which takes the retaining pin that holds the extractor. There is a slot that takes the "retainer" inside the extractor. 1st, put the black plastic retainer inside the extractor so the hole for the extractor pin lines up with the rounded part on the "retainer." Now... the hard part... insert the spring onto the end of the black plastic "retainer," put your finger over the opening to hold the spring in place while you compress the spring, moving it into position. KEEP your thumb OVER the spring to keep it from "springing out." When you get the spring into place (I used a small punch, make sure it'll stay in place before removing your thumb. In the case of my install, the spring was slightly bowed in the middle, which made me think that it could "spring out" at any time. So, instead of waiting, I installed the extractor, which should hold the spring in place. That should do it, at least it worked for me. Maybe this was so obvious for others, it wasn't worth mentioning, but, nevertheless, that's my "fix." Thank's to everyone who was involved in helping this get sorted out. CaptainJohn

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Captainjohn, did you ever get your spring in the extractor? I got my parts today from MGW and I got it in there and it works well. Here is how I did it. In the little spring guide there is a notch that fits into the extractor between the two little bumps on the slot in the extractor. That orients that guide so that the curved end is in the proper position. I dropped that guide in that spot on the extractor first without the spring. The while keeping my thumb over that guide so it doesn't come out I slid the spring over the end of the guide. Then with a 3/32 pin punch I compressed the spring until it dropped into the slot. It worked perfectly. The pin punch is key because the bump on the end of the punch keeps it centered in the spring so it doesn't slip off of the spring. I will shoot the pistol next week for a final test, but I cycled several rounds through it and it functioned well. I can tell by the feel it should be fine.
Hope that helps you.

Anyone that has an early 2.0 9mm Shield and probably a 40 will have this linear spring and guide inside a slot in the extractor. If you ever need one it only shows up as a part for the 45 Shield. I don't know about the later editions of the 2.0 series but both of mine are from the first 6 months or so of the Shield 2.0 series. S&W customer service didn't even know that because I called them and they sent me the wrong parts. All fixed now thanks to captainjohn's info.
Rangerman; I should have read your post before adding my thoughts... which were exactly the same! Thank you.. I've been very busy and just an hour ago picked up the .45 to put it back together. Thank you very much for figuring this out and, since we both independently came to the same conclusion, maybe this will help many others. CaptainJohn

1 - 15 of 15 Posts