MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have have any recommnedations for an "all inclusive" cleaning kit for an MP15T (or just AR's in general)? In reading other forums, like the AR-15 specific one, it sure seems like there is a lot of special little tricks or things you need to "know" about keeping AR's properly cleaned.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I don't have a "kit" per say but here's a list of the things I use:

- One piece cleaning rod

- Chamber rod & brush

- Q-tips

- Chamber Stars

- Slip 2000 degreaser and lube (CLP or Hoppes Elite work well too)

- Cleaning patches

- Assorted tips and brushes for the barrel (brass, jag, etc)

- Shop rags

As you can see it's nothing elaborate and the only AR specific things I use are the Chamber Stars. Some people like Bore Snakes and I've used them in the past with great results but there was no way the wife was going to let me put them in the washing machine so I threw them out when they got too dirty and forgot to replace them. There's really no "tricks" but a little bit of time and elbow grease.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I definitely must be doing something wrong. I just bought a Kleen Bore "AR-15/M16 Field cleaning kit" from Sportsmans Warehouse and I can NOT get the brass brush to go into the barrel more than a few millimeters before it hangs up. Hard. Then at that point, I am stuck.
I know you are not supposed to reverse directions, but at this point I have no choice. Pulling it back out takes a LOT of effort. I am going from the chamber toward the muzzle (hell, I even tried it once the other way to see if it worked any better -- it didn't).

Any ideas what am I doing wrong? :?

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
You are not trying to push the chamber brush up the barrel are you? The .22 bore brush is usually tight.

You might try to drop the rod in from the muzzle end without a brush on it. Screw the brush on it in the upper receiver, then pull the brush from chamber to muzzle. And put some CLP or oil on the brush before you pull it through the bore.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
YukonGlocker, after I made my last post I went and tried exactly the method you described. I put the rod through from the muzzle end, then screwed the brush on and pulled it up through the barrel from the chamber. THAT worked. Thanks for the response. Sure is a pain to have to unscrew and screw the darn brush though. A bit awkward to manage but I think I'll get more adept with practice.

Now, my next question is: What is the proper way to use the "chamber brush". It is a brush with two bristle areas, one brass colored and a larger diameter part at the back that is silver colored. The brass part is quite a bit thicker than the regular .22 brush normally used for the barrel, so how do engage/use this chamber brush properly?

I've never had an AR rifle before, so this is all new to me, so forgive the noob questions.

Based on my reading elsewhere of AR cleaning, it seems like I need to get some pipe cleaners as well for the gas pipe/system? I'm suprised that an "AR specific" cleaning kit did not come with them if they are a normal part of AR maintenance.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Once the bore brush is used a little, it will become easier to run through the barrel. You can probably push it from the chamber end now.

Chamber brush: You want just enough rod to get the brush into the chamber. Put some CLP on the brush and push it into the chamber with a twisting motion. Go far enough that the larger bristles clean the locking lugs. It will be tight at first also. It will loosen with use. Twist it in until the bristles clean the locking lugs, then twist it out. This will clean the chamber and locking lug area. Then use a clean patch to wipe up the CLP.

I don't put anything in my gas tube. Gas flowing through the tube will keep it cleaned out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts