MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a big M&P fan, and would like to get the compact. However, the April edition of Gun Test hated it.

httSUBCOMPACT 9MMS:

The Sigarms P239 DAK is the leader of this trio; Glock's 26 is OK. The S&W M&P 9mm malfunctioned in our tests, netting a 'D' grade.

HTTp://www.gun-tests.com/

·
Registered
514 Posts
YukonGlocker said:
The 'Gun Test' tests are highly biased. I could care less what they had to say.
I agree. I love my M&P. I finally found another local M&P owner and will be heading to the range this weekend with him.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have all three of the guns tested and I believe the M&P is light years ahead of the Glock and the best all around carry weapon. While the SIG P239 is an awesome pistol and one of my favorite, the M&P still beats it in terms of capacity, ergonomics, trigger and weight. I have not had any malfunctions with my M&P 9 Compact.

This article makes me feel better about the fact that I decided not to renew my subscription to Gun Tests last month. They don't know what they're talking about, IMHO.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I can't remember the name of the rag but it came out last month (i believe) with a buyers guide in it. It had a big XD on the bottom right of the cover and a really small M&P on the upper left. They loved it and I do to. I'd LOVE to hear what is SO wrong with it.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
yeah definitely curious about the malfunctions.

If they had a striker break, I could see them giving it a bad review.

However, their methodology is no better than getting a cherry picked review sample from the company. Forums like this one have pretty much made gun rags obsolete, even gun tests.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Re: mag articles

I hate to stroll of the path here but first I'm glad to see the M&P compact finally showing up in magazines.I'm tired of seeing the XD on every cover..Has anyone fired this new compact .45? Is it all that? I had picked up a XD before I bought my M&P 9c and immediately put it right back down.I did not like the feel of it at all..Though I am in the market for a .45 in a smaller package..I can't really afford to go to a Kimber,even though I like them alot< any suggestions? thanks guys!!!

·
Registered
5,726 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts

Choochboost,

I was meaning a compact .45 in the XD line not S&W....If S&W M&P offered the compact .45 there would be no other choice for me...Because I love my 9C all the way!!!!!

·
Registered
255 Posts

PENS-66 said:
I hate to stroll of the path here but first I'm glad to see the M&P compact finally showing up in magazines.I'm tired of seeing the XD on every cover..Has anyone fired this new compact .45? Is it all that? I had picked up a XD before I bought my M&P 9c and immediately put it right back down.I did not like the feel of it at all..Though I am in the market for a .45 in a smaller package..I can't really afford to go to a Kimber,even though I like them alot< any suggestions? thanks guys!!!

I owned an XD45 Compact up until recently. I sold it to fund the purchase of my M&P 40c. That should tell you something.

I loved the XD45 Compact though. It was a nice gun and I had zero problems out of it. It was just a bit on the "still too big and still too heavy to carry concealed" side of things. It was only about a quarter of an inch longer in the slide than my beloved Glock 23 was, but it weighed nearly half a pound more.

Would I own another? Sure, I suppose I would. I really don't have a need for it as I have a 1911 for my .45acp fix and ammo is nearly $10 more per 100 rds of .45acp than it is for my .40SW. But if someone wanted to just give me another XD45C I'd certainly give it a good home.

But I wouldn't carry it. I'd stick with the smaller and lighter M&P 40c for that and just let the XD45C come out and play at the range periodically.

·
Registered
270 Posts

Well if you were to purchase an affordable .45 what would be your choice..thought about a Glock 30 or the G38 compact .45 gap...not really sure? Then of cource thought about getting the M&P 40C ,which I have the 9C already....just undescided! :?

·
Registered
255 Posts

PENS-66 said:
Well if you were to purchase an affordable .45 what would be your choice..thought about a Glock 30 or the G38 compact .45 gap...not really sure? Then of cource thought about getting the M&P 40C ,which I have the 9C already....just undescided! :?

I'm interested in seeing how the new M&P 45 works out. Right now I'd go for the XD45 or the XD45 Compact. But the M&P might change that.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Gun Tests Magazine - April 2007

I just received my April issue.

The problem was their MP Compact suffered a 70% failure rate (slide held open with one round in magazine -- both included magazines). They rated it a D rather than an F because they said they realized it would be a good self-defense gun if the reliability was there, but that they personally had not seen it with the one they purchased for testing.

Much like many of us on here have experienced. The MP line, like every brand and make of gun, has lemons that come off the assembly line.

It is not fair that they base their opinion on one gun like that without at least trying a second one to see if it was just that one instance or not.

For what it is worth, they rated the Taurus 1911 poorly as well in a previous issue and I totally and whole heartedly disagreed with their assessment.

I've decided to not renew my subscription to this particular magazine.

·
Registered
910 Posts
A 70% failure rate? Oh please. I could jam mud into the chamber and barrel of my Walther P22 and it would have less of a failure rate than 70%. What a joke.

I know a few have had minor issues with the M&P's but I'm pretty sure most, like myself, have had a problem-free gun since day one of ownership.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts