MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just want to get feedback from those who've used both the M&P9 and M&P45. I'm thinking if I should get the .45 as a 2nd one to my M&P9. Other than ammo size
, what major differences are there with the MP45 in terms of handling. Does the longer slide/barrel provide added stability for better accuracy? Any other reason to get one? Other experiences to share are welcome too. Thanks

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have owned the M&P 9 over a year and the 45 for about 5 weeks. The 9 is one fine pistol. The 45 has more recoil but to be expected. The recoil is very manageable. The longer slide does provide a longer site radius. The big difference I see is in the trigger. The 45 has a tougher trigger but being new I am giving it time to smooth out. The 9 has roughly 3000 rounds thru it and the 45 has roughly 250 rounds. No failure to feed or fire issues from either. The Blackhawk serpa holster fits either.

·
Registered
559 Posts
sherpa said:
Anyone have experience comparing using the M&P45 in competitions, over 1911's?
At the 2007 IDPA Nationals, Ernie Langdon took 3rd Master in CDP with an M&P .45. CDP was originally created for 1911s, but had a Springfield XP (Dave Olhasso) and a G21SF (Dave Sevigny) come in 1st and 2nd. The first 1911 was in 4th place.

Having said that, the shooters involved are the ones who won, not the guns. It just points out that the M&P .45 can be competitive versus 1911s.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I like my M&P45 and bought the 9c as a second M&P. My only gripe about the 45 is the super heavy trigger. Not really an issue anymore because both M&Ps are in Dan's shop getting matching trigger jobs. In the mean time I'm "making do" with my 1911s.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the inputs.

Has anyone compared the MP45 with the XD45? And how does the trigger compare?

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
sherpa said:
Thanks for the inputs.

I've compared how they look. Ewwwwwww
I'll take the M&P anytime. Plus the trigger lightens up quite a bit just dry firing. But I still think it's well worth getting Dan's magic done.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I shot my M&P45 alongside my friend's XD45. My M&P was more accurate for both of us. Also, we both ended up prefering the way the M&P45 felt. At the end of the day, my friend wanted an M&P. Also, to get back to the orginal question posted, I ended up getting a M&P9c as a second to my 45. I shoot both more than any of my other handguns now.

·
Registered
380 Posts
yes, you should get the .45 as a second M&P...

then, the .40 for your third.

after that, you'll definately need a 9c, a .40c... and if it comes out, a .45c

·
Registered
373 Posts
On Friday I took both my MP45 and my Sig P220R Carry Elite to the range for a brief outing and I must say, given the amount of money spent on both weapons, I certainly got a greater deal with the MP45. It is as accurate as my beloved Sig at half the price. However, for some reason, my MP45 does not seem to like Blazer Brass. Other than that, the MP45 is an excellent .45 ACP and I actually am growing to favor it over my G21 and my Sig P220.

But reader be warned, I'm not partial to the MP line, I only own 4.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I shot lots of Blazer Brass through my two M&P .45's with no issues at all. I sold my M&P .40, not that I didn't like it but I just liked the .45 so much I was always shooting it so I decided to get another one. My second .45 is a newer serial number and has a really good trigger out of the box. I also like big pistols since I have big hands. I had the large grip on the .40 which was fine except it pinched my hand some near the trigger guard. I have no problems CCW'ing the .45. It's also a very accurate pistol. As accurate as 1911's that cost me four times as much.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sholling said:
[quote name='sherpa']Thanks for the inputs.

I've compared how they look. Ewwwwwww
I'll take the M&P anytime. Plus the trigger lightens up quite a bit just dry firing. But I still think it's well worth getting Dan's magic done.[/quote]

How much different is the M&P45 trigger with the M&P9? Is there a big difference?

yes, you should get the .45 as a second M&P...

then, the .40 for your third.

after that, you'll definately need a 9c, a .40c... and if it comes out, a .45c
I'd sure like the 9c too, but sadly the compacts are not yet available here in Manila

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
For awhile the .45's were known for really tough triggers. Hard to pull until broken in. My newest one purchased about a month ago had an excellent trigger out of the box. Unless I was just lucky Smith has improved the out of the box .45 triggers. My latest has serial MPRXXX.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
In my opinion new 9 and 40 M&P triggers feel gritty until broken in which doesn't take long. The .45 feels like you are snapping a bar at the point when you fire and takes longer to wear in. Thats how my first .45 was but my second was fine.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
sherpa said:
Can you describe the difference in the 45s trigger vs that w/ the 9s?
Sure... about 3lbs.
My M&P45 came out of the box with roughly a 9-1/2lb trigger. I say roughly because my RCBS trigger scale only goes off the scale at 8lbs. 200 trigger pulls dropped it to a bit over 7lbs but smoothed it up a lot. Out of curiosity I made a call call to S&W and they said anywhere from 7-9.5lbs was normal when new and to let it wear in for 200rds. They were right when they said it would come down to around 7lbs. It's a smooth and shootable 7lbs but I like a lighter trigger.

My 9c I've only dry fired. I sent it off for a Burwell trigger the day after I picked it up, but out of the box it was a very smooth 6 or 6-1/2lbs if I remember correctly. I suspect that with a couple of hundred trigger pulls it would have become a very pleasant if long 5.5-6lbs.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
wow, 3 lbs is quite a big difference. At first I thought they were similar. I guess breaking it in for several hundred rounds would lower the weight the same as it did with the M&P9, so the M&P45 would still be hard even after break in.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I sent both the 9 and the 45 in together for matching trigger jobs. When I brought up the idea Dan liked it a lot. I don't like super light triggers on self/home defense pistols and we agreed that 4.5-5'bs was a happy medium. Hopefully they'll be back late this week.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts