MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks,

I have had my MP .45 for a couple of weeks and really love the feel and function of this gun. Quickly becoming my favorite. 600+ rounds through it already and no issues besides needing more time to shoot it.

Some of my semi auto guns purchased in the last few years have stated that +p ammo should not be used with some saying it will void warranty. I am one that just loves the feel of a potent round going off which is why I have so many magnum revolvers and really enjoy my 10mm's with DoubleTap ammo. I also would like the hardest hitting "safe" round in my gun if I needed it for self defense.

I have used Magtech +P 185 grain rounds along with standard .45 loads in all of my guns with no ill effects thus far and many rounds down range. I don't go after the +P+ rounds and won't be using them. The manual for the M&P does not say "don't" use +P so I am assuming it would be fine as with my other handguns.

Anyone seeing abnormal wear or parts breakage from +P ammo in their M&P.45's?

Have a great day

"Live Free or Die"

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry Folks.

My first post and it didn't end up where I thought it would. Please delete and I'll repost where it belongs.

Thanks

·
Registered
123 Posts
I proposed this same question to the very knowledgeable folks at the local gun shop.

They are a Smith & wesson wholesaler. She informed me that I could use the +p ammo, but

I shouldn't make a habit of it as it could cause unnecessary wear an tear on my gun.

I choose to stay away from it personally.

·
Registered
405 Posts
if you read the manual +P is fine but don't use +P+

With that in mind...

The following loads all demonstrate outstanding terminal performance and can be considered acceptable for duty/self-defense use:

.45 ACP:

Barnes XPB 185 gr JHP (copper bullet)

Federal HST 230 gr +P JHP (P45HST1)

Federal Tactical 230 gr JHP (LE45T1)

Speer Gold Dot 230 gr JHP

Winchester Ranger-T 230 gr JHP (RA45T)

Winchester Ranger-T 230 gr +P JHP (RA45TP)

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I don't see the point in +P in .45 I prefer 230 grain hollowpoints (in my case Black Hills) so i get the same recoil and point of aim point of impact I get with practice firing 230 grain hardball.

·
Registered
20 Posts
you will be fine the M&P 45 was designed to be entered into the Joint Combat Pistol program.

3.2. Performance Requirements:

3.2.1. Reliability. The JCP shall have a Mean Rounds Between Stoppage (MRBS) of 2000 rounds (T) and 5000 rounds (O) firing A475 and A483 ammunition. The JCP shall have a Mean Rounds Between Failure (MRBF) of 5000 rounds (T) and 10,000 rounds (O) firing A475 and A483 ammunition. The weapon shall function reliably when operated in extreme environments per section 3.6.

3.2.3. Service Life. The JCP shall have a service life of 20,000 rounds (T), greater than 20,000 (O), using A475 .45 ACP Ball, and/or A483 .45 ACP match ammunition. The JCP should be capable of a service life of 20,000 rounds when firing 5% AA18 .45 +P ammunition (O). Receiver service life shall be defined as a receiver that is at the end of its usable life cycle.

MIL-C-1311E Cartridge, Caliber .45, Ball, M1911, (A475)

MIL-C-60163 Cartridge, Caliber .45, Test, High Pressure, (M1)

SW010-AD-GTP-010 SMALL ARMS AND SPECIAL

WARFARE AMMUNITION

.45 caliber +P Truncated Cone, (AA18)

MIL-C-46482B Cartridge, Caliber .45 Ball, M1911, Match Grade, (A483)

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I don't imagine you will be firing a lot of +P due to cost so I wouldn't be concerned about shooting enough to establish the rounds reliability in your M&P.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
The M&P series, in every caliber, is designed and rated for any SAAMI-specification ammunition. This includes 9x19mm +p and .45 ACP +p.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I know this isn't very scientific so please don't flame me but years ago I did some testing of 45amp HPs in a home made water trap. All the rounds I tested, Golden Saber 230gr, Black Talon 230gr (I still have the expanded round, cooooool), and Hydrashok 230gr. performed well. The Hydrashok hit noticeably harder than the other 230gr rounds. The last round I tested was the 185gr +p Remington. It was a good thing I saved it till last because the round stuck my water trap, which was constructed from a 2.5gal (?) water jug, the type with the spigot on the end. The 185gr round fragmented and sent its fragments in a radial pattern about 8 inches in diameter that perferated the sides of the water trap. The hydrostatic pressure split the jug in half lengthwise and layed it flat on the ground. The water sprayed everywhere. I was about 20 feet away and I got drenched. The +p 45acp loads are plain wicked. I imagine they would have significant stopping power. I believe the 230gr loads are pretty formidable themselves. I wonder why we all tend to believe the extra speed imparted to a 9mm or 40 tends to make the round work better but it doesn't in 45? When I carried a 45 I would carry 230gr hydrashoks in the summer and 185gr Corbons in the winter. The faster corbons perform darn well in heavy clothing tests as the clothing would retard expansion slightly and promote a bit less fragmenting and a bit more penetration. If I was carrying a 45acp now I would probably try black hills 230gr+p. That also looks like a powerful load. Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
The Corbon loads are interesting. I read somewhere recently that the 165 grain has the same point of impact as a 230 grain. I think it was an Ayoob article. I have always heard good things about Corbon but have never used or fired it myself.

As far as +P .45 I suppose it might be a more consistent expander but I'm fine with standard 230 grain.

http://www.dakotaammo.net/products/corbon/convjhp.htm

45 AUTO +P

165 GR. JHP

1250 FPS

573 FTLBS

45 AUTO +P

185 GR. JHP

1150 FPS

543 FTLBS

45 AUTO +P

200 GR. JHP

1050 FPS

490 FTLBS

45 AUTO +P

230 GR. JHP

950 FPS

461 FTLBS

·
Registered
403 Posts
I think under most conditions the 230 grain loads are really effective but it is on the lower end of the velocity envelope for most bullets. As you decrease barrel length you start to push the bullet to a point where it might become a less consistant performer. I have never been a fan of the 230gr loads in short barrels. On the other hand, the +p loads are powerful and could become a handful in a small, concealable weapon. There is no free lunch. Thats why I prefer 9mm in the small CCW guns. The 9mm seems much less effected by the shorter barrel. In a fullsize or a weapon with a 4-5 inch barrel I think all 45 loads are pretty powerful. The +p loads are icing on the cake if you can handle the snappier recoil. I used to have a 1911 and I preferred the 185+p loads in it. In a steel frame 45 recoil isn't that much of a factor and I used a recoil buffer and extra power Wolff spring. I don't have any experience with the 165gr load but the 185gr and 200g +p loads from Corbon and the 230+p loads from black hills and hornady seem like the kings when it comes to 45acp power players. I know everyone says there is no real difference in stopping power between a regular 45 load and the +p load but set up a couple milk jugs and shoot them with a 230gr and a 185gr +p. You can judge for yourself. Physics and common sense tell me the faster load is packing some punch. Whether of not it is enough punch to make the difference is up to you.

The lighter loads I think have also reaped the benefit of newer bullet designs that will resist fragmenting and will penetrate more deeply than the old loads most current info is based upon. A 45acp load packing nearly 500lbs of energy that expands big and penetrates deep? They are out there. Dang I have got to buy a 45.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I can see the concern from short barrels but fortunately I only shoot and carry full size pistols. ;-) That may change if I really like the .45 Compact when it comes out. CCI-Speer does make a 230 grain round designed for short barrels btw.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Steelshooter said:
The Corbon loads are interesting. I read somewhere recently that the 165 grain has the same point of impact as a 230 grain. I think it was an Ayoob article. I have always heard good things about Corbon but have never used or fired it myself.

That is indeed very true. Both of my SIG 220 .45 pistols shoot the Corbon 165 gr +P load to the exact same impact as a 230 gr load.

I don't know about the M&P 45, but my 220's tend to shoot lighter weight bullets more accurately. My two favorite self defense .45 loads are the CorBon 165 gr +P, and the Hornady XTP 200 gr +P.

Here is the CorBon load:

And here is the Hornady XTP:

And here are my SIG 220 .45's One is a full size with 4.4 inch barrel and 8 shot mag. The other is a compact model, with 3.9 inch barrel, and short Officer's style 6 shot mag.

Lance

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Lance -- just curious, at what distance do the two have identical POI? From a basic physics standpoint, the much faster 165gr load should shoot to a noticeably lower POI.

Also, is there some reason you feel the need to make your text bigger than normal?

·
Registered
527 Posts
ToddG said:
Lance -- just curious, at what distance do the two have identical POI? From a basic physics standpoint, the much faster 165gr load should shoot to a noticeably lower POI.

Also, is there some reason you feel the need to make your text bigger than normal?

It was at 15 yards. I was quite shocked.

My eyesight is going to hell. It is so bad, I'm putting lasers on all my handguns. And my computer monitor is about the same distance away from my eyes as a handgun is when I shoot it. The bad news is that it is my right eye that is degrading. My night vision in it is now quite terrible.

I'm now just increasing the text size through my browser. That is a better solution that also makes everyone's messages also easier to read.

Sorry if you thought that I was trying to shout or something like that.

Lance

·
Registered
527 Posts
nevrbvictim said:
I wish all posts were that sized text. How sad is that..? :oops:

I just now go into the VIEW menu in my browser, and increase the text size there.

I wish I knew of a way to change this to be my browser's default setting.

Lance

1 - 17 of 17 Posts