MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you are thinking about buying the M&P pistol, you might be interested in this...so read on. First of all, let me tell you a few things about me:

1. I am NOT a firearm expert. I'm just the Average Joe with a CCL.

2. Pistols that I have owned: HK USP 40C, HK P2000 40, Kel Tec P3-AT, Kahr PM9, Sig 239 40, Glock G22, G23, G27, G26, and M&P 40 and 40C.

3. My shooting skills...lets just say that I can hit the target :wink:

4. I don't have anything against HK, Glock, of any other gun make.

5. I prefer 40 cal. but that's just me.

6. I have small hands.

Okay, enough with the intro, lets go. Somtime in April 2007, I went to my local gun dealer just to "look" and notice that he had a few M&P on display. I asked for his opinion, and he said that he "preferred Glock." So I decided to go home and do my own research (BTW, thanks everyone for your input on this site...). I was very intrigue with the M&P 40C, so I decided to go back to the gun dealer and take a closer look. The next day, I held the M&P 40C and I was immediately impress with the ergo of the firearm, so I decided to buy it.

I took the gun home and immediately strip it (VERY EASY), and change the backstrap. Afterwards, I headed out to my local range and shot about 200 rounds of Winchester target rounds. I was truly amazed. The 40C shot very true and felt great in my hands. The pistol NEVER had any issue and fed EVERY single round without any problems. Even without the extension, I was able to "control" the gun. With the entended mag, I was able to group better, but the flush plate gave me no problem.

I was very impressed with the 40C, so the next day, I went back to the gun dealer and bought the full size 40. I didn't get to test the full size til today (been very busy). I took both the 40C and 40 to the range today with a friend (he took his HK P2000SK 40). At the range, I decided to shoot a few warm up round with my full size 40...Amazing!!! Then I shot about 20 rounds with the HK P2000SK...nice, but not my cup of tea. The HK didn't fit me. So I went back to my M&P. I decided to rapid fire the M&P, and I was able to hit the target every single time. Remember, I am not an expert and I don't go to the range every week (actually, I only make it out there maybe 6 or 7 time each year), but I was able to "group" my shot within an 8 inch circle at about 10 yard out.

After today, I have to say that the 40C with be my weapon of choice for conceal carry. I live in Texas, and it's REALLY HOT here, so I can't carry a full size all the time (again, thanks everyone for your input on holster...I bought the Comp-Tac Infidel and I have a KD holster on order).

If you're thinking about buying a M&P, just go to your local gun shop and hold it. The gun points very well, and feels really nice. I am well aware that some M&P owners have had problems with their pistol, but you have to understand that this firearms are mass produced and sometime, a bad apple might slip through. My HK P2000 FTF a few time, and even my Glocks have some issue. However, from what I've heard, Smith & Wesson has been really good about fixing any issue in a timely manner.

In closing, I just wanted to give credit to Smith & Wesson for producing a great firearm and to everyone who posted on this website for your input. Okay, that's it. I hope this has been helpful to someone.

One last thing, does anyone know a gunsmith in Houston, Texas that can two-tone my M&Ps. I don't really like the idea of mailing my M&P. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
First, welcome to the site... Second, that was a great range report. I hope you enjoy your twins as well as I have and continue to spread the good word about our M&P's.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Welcome

Welcome to the site, and thanks for the post.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My .02 cents, also. I hear ya on the ammo prices for the 45. The 40's are almost just as bad. The 9mm's not to bad as of yet. I love shooting my 45 M&P, and the M&P 40, I have both and now I like the M&P's so much, I want to get the 9MMC. That way I will have a threesome. I have had no problems with my M&P's, they are great weapons for the price. I really would like the AR15 but I can't afford one right now. Its my dream weapon however.

I am a LEO and the 40 cal. is our Dept. issue and I carry all the time. I would like the 9mmc for off duty carry. The 45 cal is for personal use and I really love shooting the thing. Its a greattttt gun.

As far as I'm concearned, Hats off to Smith and Wesson and the M&P's.

Ammo prices do need to drop soon, there like buying a gallon of gas or a gallon of milk. :roll: Ok my .02 cents.

rogero

·
Registered
100 Posts
slomo said:
<SNIP>

One last thing, does anyone know a gunsmith in Houston, Texas that can two-tone my M&Ps. I don't really like the idea of mailing my M&P. Thanks.

Great report. I also love the M&P. Bought my second 9 on Saturday a compact this time and am on the way to the range today to test drive it.

Ref you question about gunsmiths -- I'm not sure they can do it, but there is a custom gunsmith/shop called MG Arms located in Spring, TX, near Carter's Country range. I stopped there once to inquire about some work. Haven't used them, but you might want to check them out. Seemed like a good bunch of guys.

·
Registered
319 Posts
way it fits my hand(and i have small hand with short stubby finger....) is what sold me to the M&P over Glock 17 and XD9.

I had a Beretta 92FS INOX that i loved when i bought M&P. Great gun, was pretty accurate, and NEVER jammed on me. But compared to M&P, it was heavy, trigger was bit too far, and heavy, and because it was aluminum frame that is powder coated, it gets scratched easily.

I ended up liking M&P so much that it became my primary CCW over Beretta(which was my CCW for 4 years), and i ended up selling it(to get Para 1911 - another great gun that i love).

Pic of my beretta when I got my M&P.

Beretta was pure beuty. But in the end, it just didn't fit the shooters hand as good as my M&P does

I think many people - including myself - makes mistake of buying a gun based on hype. Thats why i bought the Beretta. it was pretty, and US army used it. So i bought it, even tho it didn't fit my had that well.

I've seen buddy buying Glock 21, without even trying M&P45 or XD45, because he like glock, even tho grip was so big, he can't hold it right at all. my brother in law bought S&W Model 29 as his first gun ever(
). Because it was the "the most powerful handgun in the world", and can't shoot it AT ALL because it hurts his hand.

No matter how good the gun is, u can't shoot it accurate unless it fits you good. M&P tought me that.

Below is from yeasterday. Double tap, X3 from 10yd(except lower left corner. thats my gf shooting 22. And upper right corner - donno what happened there. i got 5 within 2", except 1 ended up almost center of paper :?: )

I think M&P IS right gun for me

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
slomo I am excited we have a new member not complaining :wink: :wink: I am happy you are happy welcome to the site and enjoy

·
Registered
79 Posts
Great post and report. +1 on all other comments about having new members and posting great things we need to see more of that. I have only the .45 right now and my wife has one too but am thinking of getting a .40c for our carry guns.

·
Registered
246 Posts
slomo...

Very nice report, I think it was much more than .02.

Like you, I like my M&P a lot. So much in fact that I bought another M&P today, the first one was a full size 9 and this time I went with full size 40. I have very little experience with the .40s&w caliber so I am anxious to get to shoot it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone. I just wanted to share my thoughts with anyone who is interested in purchasing a M&P. I honestly have to say that Smith & Wesson did a wonderful job with the M&P. I know there are die hard fans out there who will sell their soul before giving up their Glock (Sig, HK, etc.), but I honestly believe that the M&P is a great pistol and it will hold its own.

If you are considering buying any pistol, you should give the M&P a thought. Besides a few manufacturer (which I will not name), you can't go wrong. Do your research and check out all the forums. Try to stay away from sites that have "die hard" fan that claim that their "choice" is the best. You should try to find site, like this one, that is open minded and honest. Keep this in mind, what works for me might not work for you. If you can, find a range that will allow you to rent the pistol that you wish to purchase, and fire about 100-200 rounds. Don't jump the gun and buy something that you can't handle or something that doesn't fit you.

I went through alot of gun to find the one that fits me, and I happy to say that the M&P is the one for me. It fits my hand, and the price was just right. Before the M&P, I never owned anything from Smith & Wesson and to be honest with you, I didn't really like anything that they produced. Don't get me wrong, I didn't have anything against S&W but nothing they didn't produced anything that fit me. Now, I'm a big fan of S&W.

Again, thanks everyone for your input and I hope this has been useful to someone.

·
Registered
175 Posts
+1

M&P45 two months ago. Yesterday, purchased the M&P40c.

slomo said:
Before the M&P, I never owned anything from Smith & Wesson and to be honest with you, I didn't really like anything that they produced.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I haven't had the honor of holding an M&P .45 yet because they aren't in Norcal yet. (If anyone in the Sacramento area has found one please let me know.) I went to the local Glock dealer that carrys M&P's to see if they had any 45's yet. Of course a simple question turned into how crappy the M&P was and how great the Glock was. I have nothing against Glocks but every time one spouts off I'm glad I'm part of the M&P gang.

·
Registered
708 Posts
awesome, I also did alot of research before i bought the m&p. brought a friend who never heard of it, last year and he said it felt like a solid gun. Ive watched the websites vids and was sold.

would buy it all over again.

·
Registered
175 Posts
The first shipments hit CA around the end of April. My dealer had just gotten two in and both did not even hit the display case before being sold. Timing was right as I got one of them.

Sigman said:
I haven't had the honor of holding an M&P .45 yet because they aren't in Norcal yet. (If anyone in the Sacramento area has found one please let me know.) I went to the local Glock dealer that carrys M&P's to see if they had any 45's yet. Of course a simple question turned into how crappy the M&P was and how great the Glock was. I have nothing against Glocks but every time one spouts off I'm glad I'm part of the M&P gang.

·
Registered
115 Posts
ken851 said:
The first shipments hit CA around the end of April. My dealer had just gotten two in and both did not even hit the display case before being sold. Timing was right as I got one of them.

[quote name='Sigman']I haven't had the honor of holding an M&P .45 yet because they aren't in Norcal yet. (If anyone in the Sacramento area has found one please let me know.) I went to the local Glock dealer that carrys M&P's to see if they had any 45's yet. Of course a simple question turned into how crappy the M&P was and how great the Glock was. I have nothing against Glocks but every time one spouts off I'm glad I'm part of the M&P gang.
[/quote]

Lucky Dog. Well at least there are out and about. I can hold out a little longer. Thanks for the update.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts