MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a new shooter, anything that is "different" from the standard experience does scare me a bit.

I've had my M&P9 to the range 3 times -- the first with about 60 rounds, the second and third approximate 100 rounds each.

Midway through my 3rd visit, I experienced my first ever failure to eject.

I've got to admit, this really took me by surprise ... I guess I should have taken a cell phone picture of it, thinking in retrospect, but since this was my first failure of any kind, I was taken aback.

What I witnessed was the casing still lodged in the barrel, perhaps backed out less than a 1/4 of an inch, the with the next live round in the magazine pressing firmly against it.

The slide was stuck open, and mulitiple attempts at racking the slide to eject the spent casing yielded no result.

Pressing the mag release button also did not result in the mag dropping. I had to physically press the mag release and pull on the bottom of the mag with a fair amount of force to get it to come out.

At that moment of release the slide slid back home into battery position, and at that point, I was able to rack the slide and eject the spent casing.

I guess I should have brought it home to shoot an image, but frankly, 1) it was hot! (LOL!) *newbie mistake* and 2) it didn't really look any different from any of the other spent casings nearby.

So, after this long post, should I be concerned at having a failure to eject with less than 200 rounds through the pistol?

Is this just something that can happen once in awhile, but not a major concern?

I've been reading posts mentioning flawless performance with 1000 rounds as a requisite for comfort and reliability, so naturally, this has me concerned.

I've been using Blazer Brass 115gr and Remington JHP 115gr, both found at WalMart -- not sure which was the FTE.

I'll be putting some WWB 115gr and Winchester JHP 147gr and possibly some more Remington's through next visit.

Please let me know if I should be concerned, worries, or relaxed concerning this occurance.

Many Thanks!

Cet.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Well, lots fo 9mm ammo has been running out of spec due to wear on the production machines meeting military contracts and civilian demands.

But if it were that, you'd likely have experienced more.

Since you are new, firt thing I would check is if you lubed the chamber and barrel too much. Oil in the chamber can cause a hydraulic wedge, which can lead to a failure to extract.

Another possibility is if you are tecupping the gun. I haven't played with a compact yet, but the fullsize M&P has the rounds feed into the chamber at a very shallow angle. If there is enough slop in the magazine fit and you teacup, you can push up the magazine and cause the next round to get behind the rim of the fired case, wedge it, and the ejector pops over the rim.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Were you shooting Winchester White Box (WWB) from Wal-Mart? I've experienced three FTExtracts with my M&P 9 and it was all while using WWB and the weapon was brand new. No problems since I changed ammo manufacturer.

·
Registered
62 Posts
gtmtnbiker98 said:
Were you shooting Winchester White Box (WWB) from Wal-Mart? I've experienced three FTExtracts with my M&P 9 and it was all while using WWB and the weapon was brand new. No problems since I changed ammo manufacturer.

experienced the same thing with WWB with a few boxes.. Not always but the WWB from walmart has caused problems with the 9mm & .45 ACP.. Havent had an issue with the .40 yet...

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
getsome said:
[quote name='gtmtnbiker98']Were you shooting Winchester White Box (WWB) from Wal-Mart? I've experienced three FTExtracts with my M&P 9 and it was all while using WWB and the weapon was brand new. No problems since I changed ammo manufacturer.

experienced the same thing with WWB with a few boxes.. Not always but the WWB from walmart has caused problems with the 9mm & .45 ACP.. Havent had an issue with the .40 yet...[/quote]

I had a lot of problems with my 9mm wwb so bad I even got a 20.00 coupon from Winchester... try different ammo if it turns into a pattern with different ammo then start worrying :wink:

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have had 4 failure to extract's on my brand new M&P 9 out of about 325 rounds, this was with

WWB (1)

Federal American Eagle (1)

My own IPSC loads (2)

using this same ammo on my sig 226 with 10,000+rounds I had the following failure to extracts

zero

zero

zero

but, I don't really get concerned with a new gun, having a small percentage of malfuntions until it gets to about the 1000 round mark, it it still has issues then I will be needing a solution.

what I will do in the meantim is mark the magazine when I get the FTE's and see if it is a particular magazine.

·
Registered
380 Posts
raz-0 said:
Another possibility is if you are tecupping the gun. .

what is "teacupping" ?

is that when i see people grip with one hand, and just rest the fist on the weak hand palm?

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Having this problem very frequently (1 per mag) on 9mm full size.

(Fired case still in chamber-next round behind it coming out of mag)A double feed.

(This will give great experience clearing type 3 malfunctions)

Has approx 8,000 rounds thru it.

At a shooting course Mon-Weds was told it wasn't my grip and could be weak extractor spring or slightly bent extractor arm.This by a VERY experienced shooter and also instructor.

He also did a full cleaning of extractor (which I have been doing anyway)AND cleaned chamber with chamber brush and crocus cloth. Malfunction still happened.

Happens with WWB AND Fed Amer Eagle.

Had to switch to 9c to complete the course.

Problem only started 3 weeks ago.

Sending back to S&W tomorrow for repairs.

Will advise results when pistol comes back.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
f-bomb said:
[quote name='raz-0']

Another possibility is if you are tecupping the gun. .

what is "teacupping" ?

is that when i see people grip with one hand, and just rest the fist on the weak hand palm?[/quote]

More or less. Really, with most people, what you are doing is resting the magazine of the gun in your off hand. Thus putting upward pressure on it in many cases. Some guns are finiky about it. DUnno if the M&P is as I don't know anyone who owns one and teacups and I can't be bothered burning up good ammo testing it out.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Mine has been 100% out of the box for a year now. WWB and Blazer brass. It eats 100 rd WWB value packs like candy. Thanks WAL*MART

1 - 10 of 10 Posts