MP-Pistol Forum banner

My .40 Shield Story

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  BRL 
#1 ·
I live in a little cabin, in a little lake community, right next door to a huge Christmas tree forest, with endless fire trails that I could ride my quadrunner on to my hearts content.

It was no problem to pack my big Glock 20 10MM Auto around out there of course, because all I had to do was sit and ride.

Then one day the owners posted signs saying "NO OFF ROAD VEHICLES - VIOLATORS WILL BE PROSECUTED!"

So now I had to hike out there to go shooting, and that dang gun got HEAVY real quick!

So I sold it, but I still had about 1000 Hornady .40 caliber bullets for reloading, not to mention 10MM/.40 S&W reloading dies, shell holders, trimmer pilots, etc.

That adds up to a lot of money wasted if I were to change calibers. and I always thought the Glock 19/23 fit my hand like a glove, so I bought a Glock 23 in .40 S&W.

Turns out that packing around 14 rounds of 180 grain bullets in that gun got almost as HEAVY real quick!

About a month ago, a shooting buddy showed up with a .45 Auto Shield and told me they also come in .40 S&W.

That little gun is a pleasure to pack around in the sticks with me all day! :cool:

See less See more
#2 ·
Congratulations! I have a Shield 9 and a Shield 45 and every now and than I believe I have to carry a larger pistol. So I get it out, load it up, carry for a few days, and realize just how big and heavy it is. So it gets unloaded and put back in the safe and my Shield 9 goes back on duty. As a non LEO or security person, 7+1 is perfect for everyday concealed carry.

#3 ·
...and realize just how big and heavy it is...
HA!
Big and heavy...you're kidding right? :D

Those .45 Shields are nice, but I can't afford to change calibers at this time, and I didn't want to let my spent .45 ACP brass mixed up with my friends brass either.

I had cut down the grip frame on the G20 to G29 size, so it only held 10 rounds, but it probably still weighs as much as two .45 Shields!

#5 ·
Friend showed up today with his .45 Shield and his new Marlin .45-70...CANNON!

We both have Trijicon night sights on our Shields.
He has the Apex trigger kit in his and I have an M*CARBO spring set with a polish job in mine.
He has that wonderful 2.0 stippling on his and I have...a bicycle inner tube. :(

Anyway I just wanted to show off my new awesome brass catcher! :)

We both reload, and I got tired of spending more time trying to locate spent brass in this stuff than actually shooting!

It worked perfect! What a FUN day!

#10 ·
I do have a number of 40 caliber hand guns, eleven or twelve, mostly carry a Taurus G2C in 40 (hard to find, but out there) it carries 10+1, I can pocket carry (But hard to fish out) or AIWB in a Cook's Kydex or OWB in a Versacarry. I also have a XDS and XDS Mod 2 in 40 for pocket carry or IWB, OWB,
My 40 Shield seems too big for pocket carry as the backstrap is visible to someone standing beside me (45 Shield even more)
I do carry my XD40 SC or my M&P40C a bit less, but they have more capacity ... and weight and bulk.

#11 ·
I do have a number of 40 caliber hand guns, eleven or twelve...
You guys got too many guns!

I've owned 3 S&W revolvers, but my .40 Shield is my first S&W semi auto.
I really like it!
I carry it in somebody's kydex IWB holster, not so much for concealment but mostly to keep it out of the elements when I'm out in the woods.
Everybody around here owns guns and you hear gunfire on and off all day.
I could carry my gun on my head and nobody would notice.

My holster had a clip, but I kept accidentally slipping it over a belt loop in my blue jeans, and when I would go to pull out my Shield, the holster would come with it...and my pants would fall down. ( ok made that part up)
So I made a nylon strap for it and it positively keeps the holster on the belt, but it has too much flexibility and allows the gun to shift position.
Going to make a more firm strap for it, maybe out of leather or even a stiff piece of a plastic Tupperware lid. :giggle:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.