MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to keep this short - I really did - but I had to write it up as long as I did or it just didn't sound right. Ok, here it goes:

==========================

Getting a haircut – mentioned to my barber down the street from where I work how the gas station owner across the street to my workplace has been shot at two or three times in attempted robberies in the past several months and mentioned other shootings in our general area. I asked my barber if he’d ever had any trouble.

He said if he didn’t have his .38 Special he’s sure he’d have been robbed, shot, stabbed or something last week. He’s a one man shop.

Here’s his story as best as I can remember it:

White male & white female drive up in an old beat up van with headlights duct taped on.

No other customers at the time. WM has several tatoo’s – kinda scruffy looking, not too tall but stocky, WF has tatoo’s on leg and neck. The couple comes in the shop.

WM asks price of haircut – Barber tells him $14 dollars

WM says – Whew, that’s too high, Barber says – Well, that’s how much it is, you are welcome to go somewhere else if you want too.

WM sits down and says – ok, go ahead.

Some conversation – WM says – My wife just got a job teaching not far from here & I’m working construction – yadda yadda….

After haircut WM tells WF to pay the man.

WF says – You know I don’t have any money.

WM pulls out a $20 and watch’s my barber open his money drawer to make change.

The couple walks out the door.

My barber watch’s out the window – sees the WM smoking, WF gets in the van – turns it around – backs up into the parking space, sits there with motor running.

WM stands there looking around, finishes smoke.

My barber gets his .38 out & holds beside him out of sight.

WM comes back in – says he’d like some powder on his neck.

Barber says – I can do that – just sit back down in the chair.

WM says – naw, I’d rather you just come over here and do it.

My barber had already noticed the WM’s shirt being out and something bulging from under his shirt.

Barber repeats, no sir – you have to sit back in the chair and I’ll put some powder on you.

WM says, naw – well, I just want to wash my face off.

Barber says – ok, just go back in the washroom and use the sink.

WM says, I’d rather you go bring me a towel (I guess he meant a wet one).

Barber says again – your welcome to go back there and wash up – there are towels already there.

WM says one more time – I’d rather you bring me one.

Around this time my barber had decided it was time to put an end to this situation.

My barber pulled his .38 around to where the WM could see it – told him that right now the best thing he (the WM) could do is get out of here and never come back again.

The WM left abruptly, got in the van – they took off.

My barber tried to get the tag # but only could tell it was an out of state tag.

My barber said his hair was standing up on the back of his neck and it took him a while to settle down after that.

Local PD who gets his hair cut there heard his story – told him he did the best anyone could have done in a situation like that and agreed that if he hadn’t been packing – it sounded like something bad would have happened.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Wow close call who says criminals play by the rules... glad noone got hurt

·
Registered
937 Posts
Good story. An important thing to remember: Barbers and Bartenders encounter all types, hear everything, and are pretty good judges of character.

This one obviously picked up on something being amiss with these two pretty quick, and recognised the second warning, the tactical re-parking of the vehicle, added them up, and came to the right conclusion. Yet another instance of the "undocumented" lives a properly used gun has likely saved.

·
Registered
405 Posts
surprised he didn't say "that's brandishing" since he was flashing the guna nd not pulling it out/using it.. :roll:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Just wondering if it pays in these situations to keep a sign prominently displayed that the store owner is armed. Or perhaps just a NRA or GOA sign somewhere to make crooks think twice.

·
Registered
501 Posts
SilentHyena said:
Just wondering if it pays in these situations to keep a sign prominently displayed that the store owner is armed. Or perhaps just a NRA or GOA sign somewhere to make crooks think twice.

IMHO it makes as much sense as wearing a "I'm carrying a concealed handgun" sign around your neck while carrying a concealed handgun.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
mikenkansas said:
IMHO it makes as much sense as wearing a "I'm carrying a concealed handgun" sign around your neck while carrying a concealed handgun.

I have yet to see one of those even in northwoods GA

1 - 9 of 9 Posts