MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know whether to go with the MP9c or MP40c. I've fired only 3 handgun's in my life (sig229, beretta 9mm, and the XD40) but never a compact. I'm looking to purchase an off-duty weapon and feel that the "full size MP 9 or 40 will be too big to conceal. At the same time, I want to teach my wife to shoot, as she has never fired a gun. Logically, a 9mm will have less recoil, which she would probably favor. But I would prefer the .40. Is there a big difference in recoil between the two? Unfortunately I cannot afford to buy a little .22 or something for her to learn with and an off-duty for myself. I would love to kill two birds with one stone. Any advice?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Can you take your wife to a range and have her try a few out? I think that would be the best way to go about it, if she is going to be shooting it also. I have the .40c and I love the gun!! It is a pretty sweet shooter, but I am not sure how your wife would handle it. It does have pretty mild recoil compared to many of the other .40 handguns being sold.

Ron

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
If I had started my wife out on the 9mm I doubt she'd be shooting with me today. I started her on a .22. If you can't afford to buy one, at least rent one for her sake until she's comfortable and having fun with it. These days, my wife can handle anything, but prefers the 9mm, and that's just fine with me. As long as she's having fun, and it's a caliber I trust. Just be careful about what you start her off with. I have a buddy who started his wife off with his .45 and now she's never going back to the range ever again. Does the .40 kick more than the 9mm? Yes, but I wouldn't be able to explain just how much more. Some consider it a big difference, some don't. Some believe it kicks more than a .45 since the characteristics of the recoil is completely different.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
rgr that! Thanks for the replies. I'll definately take that into consideration.

I also understand that a compact or subcompact pistol is going to be less accurate than its full size counterparts. I've been reading that the MP compacts(9 and .40) are suprisingly accurate from 25yds. Has anybody compared shot groups between the full sized and compact MPs?

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
If you mount a fullsize and a compact into a rest, each would exhibit about the same accuracy.

The biggest difference in accuracy is caused by the person pulling the trigger. Because the fullsize has a longer sight radius, most people shoot them more accurately.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
On the flip side, many people shoot the compacts more accurately. The theory behind this is the bullet is out of the barrel quicker, before the shooter has a chance to pull the muzzle off target...

·
Registered
54 Posts
I think that under your circumstances that the 9 compact would work better, especially teaching your wife gun handling. I, like you, I to like a larger caliber weapon and own both the 9 and 40 compacts. I had my 40 compact to the range yesterday and put 150 rounds through it, a mixture of WWB and Speer Gold Dots 165 grain. The 40 compact handled great with no reliability problems. It wasn't a great day for me, but the M&P was stellar. My girlfriend has no problem accuratley shooting the 40 compact and recoil is not a factor for her, shes been shooting for about 27 years.

The only other option is being able to go to a range and have her practice with a rental in a smaller caliber to get her used to the function of different weapons, revolvers and semis. This will build her confidence and maybe you then can get into the 40 compact.

Dennis

·
Registered
501 Posts
Alternately find out which of your buddies has a .22 pistol and have a shooting get together. Around these parts you'll hear "here, try this one", specially for new shooters and particularly for ladies.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
40sx & Mike, I appreciate the responses. I will definately consider the 40. and have her shoot the .22 at the range. I'm crossing my fingers!!!

·
Registered
367 Posts
not to stir the pot but I can't stand shooting a .40 cal. This is based on shooting two of them and both were not as small as the M&P and both were WAY too snappy for me. I don't enjoy the quick "high-pitched" snap. I like .410 slugs out of my 3" judge MUCH better than the .40 cals I have shot. Most would consider the .410 to have more recoil but its low pressure which I like much better. Not to mention the extra cost of ammo for the .40. That is the main reasons I got the 9c instead of either the .357 or .40.

·
Registered
471 Posts
johndoe1027, I would also like to suggest that if you get the chance to shoot the M&P in .40, do it. You may have a different opinion after doing so. I agree that the .40 round is snappy, but it seems less snappy in the M&P pistols. This has been talked about in a lot of different forums.

Ron

·
Registered
367 Posts
you might be right ron. I should have made it more clear that I haven't shot the MP40c. I was just commenting on the cartridge. I would love to try all of the M&P's but I can't find anyone around with them yet.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts