MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well doing a once over on my full size .40 I realized that the rear sight was EXTREMELY loose I cannot completly take it off but its pretty close It slides around. I have the right size allen wrench but when I try to tighten it it clicks and will not tighten... Any Suggestions..

·
Registered
288 Posts
Sights are overrated anyway. I mean, I have sights on all my guns and I can't hit the side of a barn from the inside. Real men don't use sights. We point shoot from the hip -- center of mass on the target of the guy 3 lanes over, that is.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Contact Smith about it. Be honest: Were you fiddling with it or did it simply come loose. If it just decided to come loose, ask Smith to install a replacement set. Maybe they'll slap some nights on there for ya. If there's a problem with the slide, they may have to replace it.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FieroCDSP said:
Contact Smith about it. Be honest: Were you fiddling with it or did it simply come loose. If it just decided to come loose, ask Smith to install a replacement set. Maybe they'll slap some nights on there for ya. If there's a problem with the slide, they may have to replace it.

I am thinking about that but My barrell is not the stock color and I have stipple done which voids the warranty If I can just send the slide I will be good

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
OK, if you guys are going to be helpful.....

S&W won't give you any grief about what you have done to you gun so long as what you have done didn't cause the problem.

That being said if you don't want to be without your gun, take the sight off the gun, take the set screw completly out (helps if you use a brand new allen wrench). then see how loose the sight is. to tighten it up you can put the sight on a flat hard surface and use a punch (1/8in) and a hammer and hit the bottom back dovetail a times or to rasie some material then it should be nice and tight again. Just be acreful here a little goes a long way.

I also have a few spares around here if you want to try another one out.

·
Registered
55 Posts
How many rounds through it? Never had a problem before?

The first time I took my M&P40 out to show off to my Glock friends, it was shooting right for all of us (gave them something to chirp about, even though they loved it). When I got home I noticed my rear sight was loose. Not happy! I was bragging about its accuracy.

I was able to tighten the set screw and it has held. I suspect that little set screw would strip before the threads in the sight. You can send it in to Smith and they'll most likely repair it no charge but do you want to be without if for however long? Maybe just get another set screw and try that. If you can't find one to fit, get item # 108010000 from S&W for $0.27 + stamp.

Sliding the rear sight over and putting a little green loctite under it would work too (with a good set screw). S&W customer service is outstanding but I wouldn't want to be without my M&P40 for that long if it was a simple fix. Now if there's something wrong with the slide, that's a different story.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
If you do what Dan said be very carefull not to lose the disk and spring that will fly out when sight is removed.

I would start with a brand new Allen Wrench and attempt to tighten before resorting to removal.

Good luck.

:twisted:

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for the help you guys I am going to try a new allen wrench first if that doesnt work time to call s&w-Jason

1 - 13 of 13 Posts