MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to show off my first 10 reloads. I can't wait to shoot them.

The only problem I had was knowing if I had enough crimp. I am using the RCBS taper crimp die. I adjusted the die as instructed; screw the die down until it touches the case, then down another 1/8 turn. It said to put the cartridge in the barrel chamber to check it. But my uncrimped cartridge fit in the barrel just fine. So I think I might not have belled the case enough; although, I didn't have any problems seating the bullet.

I couldn't tell that the crimp die did anything at that setting, so I screwed it down another 1/16 of a turn. Right there it definitely took the rough edge off the mouth of the case. It felt and measured real close to a factory cartridge I had, so I left it at that. I really don't know if that's enough crimp. I think I will load one of them a few times in the gun and see if it has any bullet setback.

Speer 9mm 147gr. TMJ

CCI 500 primer

3.3 gr. TiteGroup

1.130" OAL

This is straight from my Speer Manual. I'm curious to see how it runs. With the TiteGroup there is no start load. It just lists 3.3gr. as max, and lists DoNotReduce under start load.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Nice looking ammo. With a taper crimp all you want to do is remove any bell you put in the case. If the ammo looks measures and feels like factory ammo, you are probably good to go. Tension between the case and the bullet is what holds the bullet against setback, not the crilmp. If you over crimp you can actually lessen the tension between the case and the bullet.

·
Site Staff
9,606 Posts
Normally when the book only shows a max load, you should start at 10% less than the max load, but you should be fine, Hodgdon's manual shows a starting load of 3.2 gr of Titegroup when using a 147 gr jacketed bullet and a max load of 3.6 gr of Titegroup, your load is only .1 over Hodgdon's recommend start load.

http://www.hodgdon.com/data/pistol/9mmluger.php

A taper crimp when properly done will show a slight crimp at the very top of the case, the easiest way to see it is to use a jeweler's loupe or a magnifying glass, it needs to be a little more than just straightening the case out. It's fairly important to use at least a little crimp on semi auto pistol calibers because the bullet can be pushed deeper into the case during feeding, if the OAL becomes too short the pressures can spike.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I chambered a round from the magazine under full slide force. (S&W M&P) Each chamber would set the bullet back about 0.001". So I screwed the crimp die down just a hair more and recrimped another round. This round would set back about 0.0005" with each chambering.

So I decided to check some factory cartridges. CCI Blazer Aluminum was setting back about 0.004" with each chambering!!! Next up was Speer Gold Dot 124gr. +P (my carry load). I chambered a round 3 times and it set back 0.0005" total.

I think I will just head to the range and try them out. I have 2 rounds that are now 1.125" OAL. Is this too short to shoot???

·
Site Staff
9,606 Posts
Hodgdon's info shows an OAL of 1.100 so you should be fine.

·
Site Staff
9,606 Posts
Hodgdon's info is for a Hornady 147 gr XTP bullet, so it's not the same bullet, but it's probably close enough.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I shot my reloads tonight at the range. They shot perfectly. I was really surprized at how low recoil these rounds were. I'm not sure the action would cycle reliably with a smaller powder charge, but I could be wrong. I am going to try some loads with the Bullseye and Unique next.

I I'm hooked!!! It's just like someone stuck my upper lip with a 5/0 Gamakatsu Wide Gap, and I can't get away from it.

On a side note: My M&P ate another 300 rounds tonight without a hickup. I fed it 50 rounds of Speer Gold Dot 124gr. +P. It likes this load also. My wife went to the range with me, and she likes the M&P also. She said this is the first time she has left the range with no sore spots on her hands. Glocks always seem to rub her the wrong way...........................Oh my. I guess I better stop there. Anyway, she wants to go back and shoot it some more!!! Needless to say, I really like the M&P. I am finally getting used to the trigger and grip angle. I shot good tonight; and my wife shot better than I have ever seen her shoot. Holy Cow, she was scaring me with that accuracy!!!

·
Registered
107 Posts
YukonGlocker said:
I shot good tonight; and my wife shot better than I have ever seen her shoot. Holy Cow, she was scaring me with that accuracy!!!

Sounds like your gonna be needing another M&P for your wife.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, I need 3 more.

1 more 9mm for competition.

1 .40 for carry/hunting.

1 9mm compact for carry.

Ohh, make that 4 more.

1 of the M&P .45 when they come out.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Your wise seeking advise. I wasn't that smart, my first reloads were in the early 70s. Couldn't find the powder the reloading chart said to use, so I thought "this number is close, I'll try it." That was a big mistake! 30-06 loaded with shotgun powder turned out to be a terrifying thing to shoot. Lucky for me it held together, and then I got some advise. I still shoot that rifle today and I still remember how that load kicked.

·
Registered
77 Posts
speers are plated like rainier and berry's but thicker. dont crimp them too much btw what was your crimp?

measure the bullet dia then measure the casemouth thickness should be about .020. 9mm is usually .355 .3555 .356 the good bullet manufactures get it to .3555. crimp should be about .380 +/-.003 IIRC

most cases they say remove the bell.

147gr bullet better to error to longer OAL. Unique is fairly easy to measure in my experience but its dirty,some have complained about how it measures been fine for me. unique will fill the case up good most loads are compressed tough to double charge.

for titegroup Lymans 48th list start charge 3.2gr and 3.6gr maximum at 1.115" OAL with Speer TMJ 147gr.

get yourself more reloading books with data. http://www.loadbooks.com handy book so it Lymans 48th and Modern Reloading 2nd Ed. powder manufactures have data you can print off.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Sounds like your wife is going to hijack your M&P9. Glad to hear your reloads shot good. Now, all you have to do is teach your wife to reload.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts