MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Gorgeous!!! That does it...one of mine is going somewhere for the treatment. I'm thinking maybe my 9 compact.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks alot for giving me something else to spend money on highrider!

Looks Great!!!

What was the turnaround time?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. The finish is hard chrome by Tripp Research. About a 10-day turnaround. I'm really happy with the finished product.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Looks cool. I think I'll have them do my M&P compact next.

I just had them do my Walther P-99. But they took over three weeks with it.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Looks great highrider. I can't understand why S&W hasn't done the obvious and offered their M&P series in a polished stainless slide. Wouldn't require much effort or investment on their part, and it just seems such an obvious step considering the slide is already stainless steel.

·
Registered
52 Posts
ClosetCaseNerd said:
Looks great highrider. I can't understand why S&W hasn't done the obvious and offered their M&P series in a polished stainless slide. Wouldn't require much effort or investment on their part, and it just seems such an obvious step considering the slide is already stainless steel.

Probably because the raw stainless is soft, & like an M&M without the hard candy shell you would have a mess on your hands. LOL

BTW may I recommend brushed flats with hard chrome, the look is SWEET, and being done in hard chrome means it'll stay that way.... A hell of a lot longer than raw stainless that is.

·
Registered
52 Posts
ClosetCaseNerd said:
Hmmm, don't see why they would have to remove the melonite and through-hardening processes just because they don't blue the slide.

Interesting idea, I'm not sure if you could do melonite over a polished slide and not have a moderate amount of discoloration, I thought the melonite was a high temp process. If it didn't discolor it would probably look like titainium, NICE.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
The black finish on the M&P is part of the Melonite process. It takes an extra step to remove the black finish left by the Melonite process.

S&W offers many different configurations of M&P pistols. If they offered a "stainless" option, it would double the configurations and part numbers. It could be done, but it would just cost S&W and the customer more money and time.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Highrider,

Do your pictures accurately depict the actual color of the finish? Also, which finish did you go with, brushed?

I have been trying to decide between Hard Chrome or NP3. Hard Chrome would normally be cheaper, but Robar is having a 10% off sale so the slide and barrel would be $130 vs. $135 for Hard Chrome. I have a NP3 coated pistol which just requires a wipe down to clean, hardly any brushing. What is the texture of the Hard Chrome like, does it have any lubricity properties that would make it easier to clean an care for?

Was there a particular reason you did not coat the barrel?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
moshooter said:
Highrider,

Do your pictures accurately depict the actual color of the finish? Also, which finish did you go with, brushed?

I have been trying to decide between Hard Chrome or NP3. Hard Chrome would normally be cheaper, but Robar is having a 10% off sale so the slide and barrel would be $130 vs. $135 for Hard Chrome. I have a NP3 coated pistol which just requires a wipe down to clean, hardly any brushing. What is the texture of the Hard Chrome like, does it have any lubricity properties that would make it easier to clean an care for?

Was there a particular reason you did not coat the barrel?

moshooter,

The pictures are a good representation of the brushed Hard Chrome finish. The finish, as you mention, does have a slick texture, but I will reserve comment on that until I can put 300 - 400 through it and then see what I've got after a couple of good cleanings. Price was $95 + $15. Went with chroming just the slide because I thought I would like the bit of black/chrome contrast.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Highrider,

Can I bug you for a picture of the underside of the slide? Did you notice any change in the trigger pull? I am happy with my Burwell trigger job and like to avoid any changes in the action due to refinishing the slide.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Highrider....how does that hardchromed finish hold up...curious about holster wear,scratches,etc...

It looks great!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts