MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Smith and Wesson M&P 40C (.40SW Compact)

Yesterday, my wife and I along with a friend visited the nice folks at Guns and Leather in Greenbriar, TN. My friend had dealt with them in the past and was very complimentary of the staff and facility, and we had heard that they were doing some big sales this weekend with a Smith and Wesson rep on site... so we loaded up in the Yukon and made the drive.

I was not actively searching for a new handgun but was still toying with the idea of replacing the Glock 23 that I had sold a few weeks ago. It didn't take long for the Smith and Wesson rep to have an M&P 40C in my hands and it likewise didn't take long for me to say "Glock what?"

FIRST IMPRESSIONS...

My impressions of the M&P 40C in the showroom were that it was perhaps the perfect handgun for me to carry every day. It is smaller than a Glock 23 but larger than a Glock 27. It carries 10 rounds of .40SW in the magazine. It has the picatinny rail on the frame, a Melonite coated stainless steel slide, a supported chamber design and wonderfully ergonomic frame and handgrip.

One really neat thing about the M&P automatics is that they come with three interchangeable palm swells so that you can customize the grip to your hand and to your preference. I am using the medium grip swell on mine and the fit and feel are perfect.

Another cool thing about the M&P automatics is that the palm swell is held in by what is a breakdown tool. If you want to detail strip your firearm, the tool to remove the roll pins is right there in the gun! NEAT! And breaking it down to field strip is just as easy as stripping a Springfield XD and easier than field stripping a Glock. Very nice.

FIRST TIME AT THE RANGE...

One of the really nice things about dealing with the folks at Guns and Leather is that they give you a free pass to their state of the art indoor shooting range and one free target with your firearm purchase. So after I invested $12 in a box of Blazer aluminum cased target ammo, we were off to the basement to put the rubber to the road.

I ran the target out to 20 feet and loaded a magazine into the handgun. My first shot was a little low and to the left, telling me that I was jerking the trigger. The M&P trigger doesn't have near the amount of slack in it that my XD handguns do, and that is a very nice improvement over them. So I adjusted my approach and this time my shot was right in the red.

The next 48 shots went right where I wanted them to, with minor exceptions for me being a goof and getting sloppy with my aim. The handgun's point of impact and point of aim jive with each other perfectly. If you miss, it's not the gun. It's you.

I walked out of Guns and Leather a happy man. $500 lighter in the wallet, but happy none the less. I also knew that I would be listing my XD45 Compact for sale that evening as I would indeed be carrying the M&P 40C as my daily CCW handgun from this point forward.

DAY TWO - SECOND TRIP TO THE RANGE...

This afternoon my wife and I (along with her own new M&P 9mm 9C) went to On Target in Murfreesboro to continue becoming familiar with our new handguns. We both took 200 rounds of Winchester white box target ammo and we both ended up buying another 100 rounds for each gun before the day was through.

It took me about 50 rounds through the 40C to readjust my shooting style from the XD45 Compact but I eventually got there again. Muscle memory is such a double-edged sword.

My wife, on the other hand, was knocking the centers out of her targets from shot #1. If it wasn't so cool to have a wife who can shoot as good or better than me, I'd hate her for it. I've heard other people say that women tend to shoot better than men by and large. But anyway...

By the time I was on my 200th round, I was finally in the groove with the M&P. I had tried several different grip and aiming combinations and eventually settled back on the one that historically worked the best for me with my old Glock 23. By no real surprise, it worked best for me with the new M&P also.

The next 100 rounds flew by and I was blasting rounds through the same jagged gap where the red zone previously existed on the target. Fun stuff!

THE VERDICT IS IN...

I'm sold on this gun. It's light weight, it's small and it carries a good solid punch. It will be perfect for carry, even during the summer months when it's often hard to conceal a handgun because of lighter weight clothes. I'm very happy.

There was a time not too long ago that I would not have even given a Smith and Wesson firearm a second glance. I was still sore over how the company had caved to anti-gun groups in the 1990s when they were owned by a British parent company. The Brits don't understand the American gun buyer and really could have cared less about standing their ground in the face of harsh pressure from the likes of Sarah Brady and other anti-rights extremists.

I told the Smith and Wesson rep this yesterday at the gun shop. I told him that I was having a real hard time letting go of old wounds. He understood but then asked to give the new Smith and Wesson a chance to earn my trust again. He was right. Now it would be equally hard for me to let go of my new M&P pistol.

Job well done, Smith and Wesson. Job well done.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just wanted to note that this is the review that I posted over on a Springfield XD forum (XDTalk) and also my local forum (TNGunOwners).

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
I'll be picking up a 40c to add to my team soon. Then I gotta get it worked over!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Awesome post. Well thought out and organized. A joy to read! Makes me want to go out and buy a 40c right now. =P

A question for you:

How does the recoil compare to that of a glock 23?

~Best

·
Registered
471 Posts
Good review Tungsten. I love my .40c equally as well as you do. So far, it is an awesome gun!!

Ron

·
Registered
5,726 Posts

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Icetracer said:
Awesome post. Well thought out and organized. A joy to read! Makes me want to go out and buy a 40c right now. =P

A question for you:

~Best

Indeed a good read! Very well thought out, and detailed. I love hearing good reviews on the firearm I chose but in 9mm. My wife also likes the M&P so looks like I might be adding another to the family. I will probably buy the .45 acp, and give her the 9mm, so she thinks anyway.....will always be mine.....lol :twisted:

Thanks again for the great review!!!!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the kind words everyone. I'm really enjoying the 40c and look forward to getting a chance to shoot it some more this upcoming weekend. Who knows, maybe an M&P 40 will work it's way into my life sometime soon.

Icetracer said:
A question for you:

~Best

I think it's about the same. I had shot my Glock 23 a lot, so it was well broken in by the time I sold it. As such, the recoil on it might have been a touch lighter because the spring was worked in. I expect that the recoil on the 40c will be about the same once it's had a few hundred more rounds put through it. Any difference between the recoil from the two right now is marginal at best.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Tungsten... great review... great group here too, the M&Pers! :wink:

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts