MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quickie ...

Two weeks ago I took my Texas CHL course, and qualified with my Glock 17. I have never been terribly comfortable with the Glocks, the grip feels like a 2x4, the grip angle is wrong, and the trigger always gave me problems. I described the trigger as a daisy BB gun trigger <G>.

I decided a long time ago to sell the Glock, but hung onto it to take my CHL as Texas has a goofy law about qualifying with a semi-auto versus a revolver. As soon as I completed the course I advertised the Glock and sold it the next day.

I bought an M&P 9 but hadn't had a chance to get to the range until today. I only had an hour or so before dark and three rifles to check zero on for an upcoming hog hunt. But I finished in time to put 50 rounds thru the M&P.

My Glock 17, maybe all Glocks?, didn't like cheap 115 FMJ ammo. It was reliable, but the accuracy was terrible. That Daisy BB Gun trigger didn't help matters either and I dropped two points with it on the Texas CHL qualification, which is EXTREMELY easy.

I shot the M&P starting at about 15 yards, I was presently surprised when 3 of the first 4 rounds hit the 1 inch red center on my rifle target. I finished the magazine at this distance and wound up with about a 3 inch group, not bad for rapid fire with a brand new gun. I backed off to about 25 yards and fired another magazine, my 30+ shot group is now about 4 to 5 inches. I am tickled to death with this thing.

I loaded up the rest of the box and proceeded to plink at peices of clay pigeon on the backstop. Plinking was hopeless for my with the Glock, but with the M&P I hit everything bigger than a quarter sized peice with one shot.

This thing is a shooter! The trigger feels gritty and "crunchy" for lack of a better word when I dry fire it, but in actual shooting the trigger felt great, worlds better than the Glock trigger. Smith & Wesson definately has a winner in the M&P.

I also have a 9mm Compact on layaway, can't wait to get it out and shoot it too.

·
Registered
154 Posts
sounds like a successful trip to the range - good luck with your new gun.

BTW, glocks do take a while to get dialed in with....they are also great shooters but the M&P has them beat on ergonomics by a mile. Both are great and I own/shoot both.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The ergos are probably my biggest problem with the Glocks, that and the trigger. The M&P trigger just feels way better to me.

I've rented Glocks over the years, and shot other people's Glocks, I know they are good guns but they don't fit me and I just don't care for them.

The M&P with the small insert feels like it was made for my hand.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My youngest son was home from USAFA over the holidays and we were able to have some fun. We killed a couple of nice wild hogs the day after Christmas, then spent a couple of days in Arkansas deer hunting (no deer though).

We also put a few more boxes of ammo thru my M&P9. He was exceited about shooting it and he did most of the shooting. It's had another 150 rounds thru it now, all without a failure. He was short stroking the trigger at first and not getting it to reset, but that was operator error and he quickly figured it out.

So far it's digested the following without a hitch.

CCI Blazer Brass 115 FMJ

Fiocchi 115 JHP

WW +P 115 JHP

WW 115 FMJ

1 - 5 of 5 Posts