MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got the chance today to take both my M&P compacts to the range to thoroughly test them before carrying them as my primary ccw. My M&P 9c munched through 200 rounds of 115grn WWB and 50 rounds of 147grn +p Gold Dots with absolute perfection. Unfortunately, my M&P 40c couldn't make through two or three rounds in either of its two mags without having the mags pop out out during shooting.
After a dozen or so mag pop-outs, I gave up on it and just concentrated on the 9c. I was pleased that at least one of them performed to the same level of reliability as my full-size 40. I would have been happier if both of them did, though.

I noticed that with the slides off of both of them, my 40c has much more wiggle play at the top of the mag inside the frame, like the frame's mag well is oversized for the mag. The wiggle play seems to be well over an 1/8 inch in any direction. Both my full size M&P 40 and compact 9c hold mags tighter than this.

Anyway, I believe that the problem has more to do with a mag well that's out of spec as opposed to a mag catch. I'll call S&W tomorrow to get a return shipping label and let you all know what happens. At least my full-size 40 and compact 9 are keeping me happy about the M&P line.

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
interesting that the mag's are the same size on both pistols, see if the magwells are the same, wouldn't be an out of spec magwell, could be an out of spec mold.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've tried the full-size mags...

"...try shooting using the full sized mags in the compact" - I've tried the full-size mags and they pop out too.

"...could be an out of spec mold" - or, it could be a problem with QC of the process they use to cool the frames down after molding to ensure they don't deform out of spec. - just speculation...I don't know.

Interestingly, when I called S&W this morning for the return label, the CS rep I spoke to said that they had "many thousands" of incorrectly manufactured mag catches on hold because "the vendor didn't make them to the latest spec". He said S&W discovered this just in the past week. Don't know if it's true or not, but that's what he told me.

Anyway, I told him I think the problem is part mag catch and part incorrectly made frame and that I'd like them to check it there.

As soon as I get the return mailer it's off to S&W.

·
Registered
138 Posts
tagging so I can keep up with this one--out of spec mold, out of spec mag release, man oh man...

Good thing you took it to the range, would be a pain to have the mag come out in a real fight.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
last saturday my 9c started droping mags With every shot.my full size 40 at s&w now for same thing.WHATS GOING ON?

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm going to try to mic my magwell tonight and get measurements here tomorrow, can some others who have a micrometer do the same?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I know what's going on...

I think I know what's going on.

I still love the M&P, but I believe that there is room for improvement. I want to see S&W implement ROBUST and PERMANENT solutions to the mag popout problem so that I can trust my life with my M&Ps (or is that the other way around?). Note that the following are just my opinions, so value their content accordingly. My observations to wit:

1. My M&P's mag wells are oversized and allow too much wiggle room movement of the top of the magazine. If want to check yours, take the slide off of your M&P and put a mag in the frame. Now use the tip of your finger and see how much you can move the top of the magazine in all directions. This wiggle amount is noticably greater in my compacts, probably due to the shorter magazine/mag well lengths and the amount of contact surface area between them. Not good. This leads into the next item.

2. The metal "tooth" of the mag catch engages only the smallest amount of surface area of the mag catch cutout in the magazines, while the magazine is optimally seated. Here's another experiment you can try to illustrate, again with the slide off of the frame, and with a dissasembled magazine body inserted into the frame as it would be normally: look inside the magazine with a flashlight and see how little of the mag catch tooth actually holds onto the mag (warning: shivers up your spine are soon to follow). Now, with the disassembled mag still in the frame, wiggle the top of the magazine. If your mag can be EASILY pushed out of the frame this way, I'd consider sending it back to S&W immediately. Again, this is just my opinion...use your own judgement.

3. The mag catch rod spring is undersized and doesn't hold the mag catch as firmly as it could optimally. Consequently, vibration from recoil, inadvertent depression of the mag catch button (see next item), etc. seems to be able to, all too easily, displace the mag catch tooth just enough to let the mag pop out.

4. The mag catch button protrudes too far above the surface of the grip, and is not adequately recessed or protected to help prevent inadvertent actuation. This is ESPECIALLY true on the compact models, that are supposed to be designed for deep concealment use. They need to reduce the button's profile and contour it inward towards the trigger so that it takes a much more deliberate depression to actuate. Maybe if they addressed the previous items adequately this wouldn't be such a contributing factor to the unwanted mag pop outs. Just a thought.

I seriously hope that S&W gets their poop in a group and fixes the mag pop out issue for certain and for sure ,as the current situation can't be good for their best attempt yet towards taking a bite out of the other players in the markets they're targeting with the M&P product line.

We'll see.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I hope S&W is aware of the discussed magwell issue noted in this thread. I just returned my 40C to them today for dropping mags... MPN version with a #2 stamped on the underside of the mag release button. Sure love this gun, but if it's not doing to be reliable, it's gotta go. Fingers crossed that S&W will permanently correct this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts