MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had been watching for a full-size .45 since I already have the .45 Shield. I found one a couple weeks ago.
I would have liked to buy one already in FDE, but since I do Cerakote I'm not above buying a black one and turning it into an FDE one.
I don't like the Magpul FDE that I've been using as well as the FDE that S&W uses. The Magpul is a pale tan/green compared to the S&W being a dark tan.
Cerakote lists a good half dozen shades of FDE, plain, Magpul, Springfield, etc.

I wasn't sure what Smith uses and a call to them was no help, the lady I talked to put me on hold and checked, then came back and said, "it's a medium brown with green tones".
I was ordering another half dozen sample swatches from NIC, (makers of Cerakote) and saw one that was called Smith and Wesson Tan. It looked just like the Cerakote that my factory FDE MP9, so I ordered some.

Yesterday morning my MP45 was black, now it looks like this:

After putting the finish on the stripped frame and slide, I reassembled it with some upgrades, Tru-Glo sights and an Apex Duty Carry kit with their FDE polymer trigger.
Today I got some FDE base pads for the mags I had ordered from MGW. They fit better than the black ones even though the black ones were marked .45 just like the new ones.
The black base pads stopped just short of the grip in front and angled straight down.
The new FDE ones are almost 1/8" longer and continue the flare that the bottom of the grip has.

I have 900 rounds of FMJ stashed, I'm looking forward to breaking in the new .45

·
Registered
437 Posts
Mine is black. I do like the FDE though (got a 2.0 5" FDE 9MM).

Mine is also the "compact" with the 4" barrel. I've had good results (reliability and small groups) with Blazer 230 grain FMJ in my .45, in case you feel the need to try more/different ammo.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No issues baking the parts, the polymer frame is kept to 160 degrees and the slide I do for an hour @ 300.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Both non-factory triggers, correct?

Correction....just reread where you put the Apex Duty Carry kits with polymer trigs in them.

SB

1 - 9 of 9 Posts