MP-Pistol Forum banner

My new carry rig for my new gun 40c!

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Srigs 
Are you hand stitching (saddle stitch?) or using a machine? Any tips on getting the tension (as it relates to keeping the gun in the holster) just right? I tend to make mine too tight.

10-4. That makes sense. I've been using a wheel to mark the stitches. Works good, but not as straight as I'd like sometimes. And I've been attempting to mold the leather prior to stitching it together. I have found that holsters, particularly IWB, which have the back sde (the side closest to the body) as flat/non-molded as possible, tend to be the most comfortable. The outside side then is heavily molded to the contour of the pistol (exterior edges in particular) for retention. I got this to work well on one holster. It works pretty well, but is ugly as sin. It's mostly ugly because I made it rough out to help preserve the finish on the Kimber I made it for.

What sort of leather treatment are you using? I found a receipe a while back on the net that I have used with some success. It was a 50/50 mix of beeswax and something that I can't recall at this moment. I melt it down and dunk the whole holster in, then let it dry. Then take a heat gun and gently melt off what's left. It leaves the holster hard and waterproof (and it has a nice mild smell too
). Most importantly, it hold the molding in the leather very well. The pistol doesn't click in quite like kydex, but it's close.

You are making some good looking stuff and have some some nice designs. When actual shooters get in the holster business, it's a good thing.

Srigs,

After I posted above, I hit your site (again). I have a suggestion. You you how folks sometimes complain about the mag release getting hit while in the holster? I can think of two ways to mitigate this that I've not seen implemented anywhere.

Looking at the backside shot of your OWB belt rig (the shot of the S&W). How about bringing the leather up to the mag release so the holster leather actually surrounds the release button, at least partially. This would have the effect of putting the mag release in a sort of recess making it harder to inadvertently bump. If you could put a double thickness of leather right there, so much the better.

The other way (probably less effective particularly with leather v. kydex) would be to cover the right/off side of the mag release with the holster so that the mag release would have to overcome some pressure from the holster (hope that is clear).

The rub is that you would have to do some precise trimming to accomplish all this and still be able acheive a proper firing grip on the handgun. But it might be worth the effort. I've read numerous posts on this board of folks commenting on the ease with which the mag release on the M&P can be inadvertantly activated and I've seen no holster maker address this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.