MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's funny... fellow MP-Pistol member Kraigster414 and I seem to be living parallel lives. He and I both came from XDTalk and we both still own Springfield XD firearms. We showed up here around the same time and both of us owned M&P 40c compacts. I also owned an M&P 40 "service model" and my wife still owns her M&P 9c.

Our similarity continued when he and I both turned up buying new 1911s around the same time (his a Nighthawk Custom, mine a Kimber Pro CDP) so it shouldn't have surprised me that we'd end up doing the same thing again when we both ended up buying Heckler & Koch P2000's for our every day carry guns. You would think we coordinated this stuff... but we didn't. Scout's honor!

Kraigster's already shown off his new toy so I guess I need to do the same. I've had her for a few weeks now and am loving it. While Kraigster went for the 9mm Variant 3 that runs with traditional SA/DA and has a decocking mechanism, I with for the .40SW Variant 2 that uses the proprietary H&K LEM trigger.

The LEM is like a SA/DA except that it allows a second-strike against a dull primer by pulling the trigger once again. It is also like a striker-fired handgun such as the M&P, Springfield XD or Glock in that the action of the slide pre-cocks the firing pin and the trigger is used to complete the firing sequence through manipulation of a very light weight hammer. Descriptions really don't do it justice and it's one of those things that almost has to be experienced before you really understand how it feels and what it's advantages and disadvantages are.

Anyway... I really like the gun. A lot. HK firearms may be expensive but it is easy to see why. The fit and finish are second to none and it isn't plagued by some of the freshman year problems that the M&P seems to still be suffering from. I loved my M&P ... don't get me wrong ... and as soon as Smith and Wesson gets it in gear and releases the 9mm Pro, I will be all over it for competitive shooting.

But the P2000 is my new daily carry and I'm tickled carburized black by it.

PS: This is easily one of the softest shooting .40SW handguns of this size that I have *EVER* used. My hat is off to HK for their engineering on this one.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
They are great pistols. I don't like the LEM though. My P2K was my EDC until I got sucked into the M&P vortex. So I sold the P2K and relaced it with a M&Pc .40.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, I will say this about the LEM trigger system, though: It really takes some effort to get used to it.

It has a very long pull which acts as a safety element considering that the gun has no external safety levers, integral trigger safety, etc. The initial travel is fairly light and then the trigger stacks up considerably right before it breaks over. That final fraction of an inch before it breaks is even heavier, which again acts as a bit of a safety.

The problem that I've had while adjusting to the LEM trigger is tipping the muzzle down right as the trigger breaks (poor muscle control on my part) and subsequently putting some of my shots pretty low but immediately below where I was aiming. The prescription for this is to either practice until you get it right... or to lighten the LEM trigger some. I chose the latter.

My new LEM springs should be here tomorrow and I'm anxious to give them a spin. Since I am more accustomed to the incredibly light and arguably "perfect" trigger feel of the 1911 platform, I am sure that the lightened trigger will be more to my liking.

The only other changes that I have made to the gun were to install some Meprolight night sights and to swap to the Small grip backstrap. The gun ships with the Medium backstrap, but the Small gives the grip a circumference much closer to that of the 1911s that I am more familiar with.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
choochboost said:
They are great pistols. I don't like the LEM though. My P2K was my EDC until I got sucked into the M&P vortex. So I sold the P2K and relaced it with a M&Pc .40.

I hear ya. I think if perhaps my M&P Compact were the 9mm, I'd still own it. I like shooting my wife's 9mm and think that it is far more controllable in that size than the .40SW was. For me, at least.

I just didn't enjoy shooting the 40C as much at the range as I feel you should to want to practice with your carry weapon. I'd shoot a few rounds off with the 40C and then stuff it in the range bag and switch over to the standard 40. I guess that's more of a personal problem than anything.

The P2000 is also nearly the exact same size as my old Glock 23. I loved that gun but always found myself wanting for ambidextrous controls and a supported chamber design. The P2000 strikes me as being an evolutionary step forward in that respect.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts