1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first a little about me

B class production USPSA shooter.

Certified USPSA Range officer.

I can shoot 2 to 2.5 inch groups at 25yards free style with a sig p226 all day with several types/brands of ammo including

My own custom ipsc loads (zero, precision delta, montana gold,)

Winchester whitebox

Federal American eagle

Accuracy:

M&P 9

getting 4-5 inch groups at 25 yards with the following ammo

Winchester white box

Federal American Eagle

My ipsc Montana 124gr JHP loads

in all cases I was around 2 to 2.5 inch groups, with 1 or 2 flyers, this could be operator error(altough I don't have this problem with my sig226), or possibly barrel leading, barrel locking up issues.

so I'm disapointed thus far with the accuracy of these guns.

There is another IPSC shooter that shoots at my local USPSA matches and he is a master class production shooter and he is reportadly have poor accuracy with his M&P 9 as well.

I will try again after I get past 1000 rounds, and thouroughly clean and lubricate the gun.

Reliability:

4 failure to Extract's out of 325 round

WWB(1)

Federal American Eagle(1)

My ipsc 124gr JHP Montano gold loads(2)

Again disapointed thus far, I had 2 malfuctions of any kind with my Sig P226 in 10,000+ rounds and both were my custom loads, one had a failed crimp on the case(operator error) and the other was a failure to feed, do to a squib load in the barrel just past the chamber preventing the next round from fully entering the chamber,(again operator error on custom load).

Hopefully the gun will settle in after 1000 or so rounds and a good thorough cleaning and lube. I really like shooting it.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Well, this is one of the first complaints regarding M&P accuracy that I've read. Although I don't shoot USPSA I do shoot IDPA and I will state that my M&Ps are as accurate and if not more accurate than my Glocks and as accurate as any of my Sigs.

As for the Failures To Extract, I experienced 3 of these during the first 200-rounds using WWB and switched to American Eagle, Black Hills, and Remington UMC (Green/White box) for the next 600-rounds. I did not experience a single issue with the AE, UMC, and Blazer ammunition and after 800-rounds, went back to WWB and have not experienced anymore issues. From what I've read on various forums, the M&Ps are a bit ammo sensitive for the first 500-rounds of break-in and after that, the issue(s) go away. I bet after 1000-rounds the gun will settle in quite nicely and once the trigger breaks in those groups will tighten up.

I've had my MP9 since June and have yet to compete with it. I have a rather large ego and simply cannot place my G34 down in fear of the MP9 failing during a match. But, since we are entering the "off season" I may compete with my MP9 during the Winter just to see how it and I perform during a match.

·
Registered
422 Posts
The M&P is a combat handgun, not a target pistol. Yes Sigs are gonna be a bit more accurate. Carry the M&P, and buy a X5 if you want accuracy.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
The 3 M&P pistols I've owned have been very accurate.

I've shot some 1.5" groups at 25 yards with mine.

I believe with some load tuning I can do better than that.

What is the load you are using Jade?

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
If you are shooting the same size groups but getting occasional flyers, it's almost certainly operator error. I had the same thing happen to me when switching from the SIG to the M&P. The break on the M&P is much, much different than the SIG's in either double or single action.

Also for what it's worth, I find that my M&P groups better with hotter ammo. For example, the 124gr American Eagle TMJ (lead-free indoor range ammo) is consistently giving 4-5" groups, while full power Gold Dot (both 124+p and 147) are shooting 1.5-2.5" when I do my part.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I have also found that hotter loads are more accurate in my M&P's. Sand bag rest and 15 yards consistantly produce sub 1" groups for me. Old eyes and arthritus prevent doing the equivelant at 25 but you can extrapolate to greater distances. My lousy nerves also produce flyers but I don't blame the gun.

:twisted:

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Both my .40 and .45 M&P are very accurate. I was shooting Sig P220's and Glock 21 FS before MP and they were very accurate as well. But I shoot the M&P rapidly and accurately noticeably better then either Glock or Sig even though I am very familiar with them. I am much less likely to have to shift grip or trigger finger in rapid fire with M&P than anything else including 1911's.

·
Registered
280 Posts
As Steelshooter said, I've also found that I can put rounds down range faster and more accurately with the M&P as compared to the GLOCK or other platforms of pistols. The most accurate pistol I've ever fired was a plain-jane Beretta 92FS, but that fire was slow and deliberate. My M&P9c has produced results almost as good, but at far faster rates of fire.

Give it time for the trigger to break in, and I think that your flyers will not show up as often or as badly. Like it's been said, it's mostly operator error.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update:

Ok so after the 500 round mark

gave it very good cleaning, and lube

Ran 200 rounds at our local match with no malfunctions.

shot 1 full 17 round mag full at 25 yards free style, and got 2.5 in groups with no flyers, and I was not even really trying that hard, I'm sure if I was actually practicing and trying harder I could get it tighter.

these were with my custom ipsc loads that include used brass, and montana gold bullets.

So its breaking in nicley I'm very happy with it at this point.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts