MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really love this gun! This is my first automatic and I have had plenty of time to pore over it, learning as best I can how it works. I've been laid up for almost a month now with a broken femur and kneecap. I got hit head on by a guy with passing out problems who was passed out, it was entirely his fault.

Just now I'm getting to where I can hobble out on the back porch with my walker and my MP to fire a few rounds out into the hill.

I have noticed a couple odd things though and thought I would ask everyones opinion.

Yesterday evening I went out and pulled the trigger with no fire. I cycled the action and the next round fired. The round that was chambered first had not been struck by the striker pin. The round looked fine so I reloaded it second in a stack of 3. This time all 3 rounds went off fine. I'm shooting Winchester white box 230g FMJ.

I'm just wondering what may have caused this because when I shot off the back porch with a buddy tonight it did the same thing, but again I reloaded the round and it fired off normally. I "think" I pulled the trigger completely but I'm not sure. If its operator error, I'll learn. I just don't want this to be a problem with my MP.

Also when I first got the gun, after cocking with the magazine empty and installed, I could not make the gun dry fire. It just never would. However tonight I tried it with the magazine removed and the gun dry fired. Now the gun will continue to dry fire whether or not the magazine is installed.

Again I'm wanting/hoping this was my fault in that I did not fully depress the trigger, but I don't know.

Otherwise the gun functions excellently and I really enjoy it.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Hard to say what the problem is but it sounds as though it may not have went clear in to battery. Did you ride the slide forward? It doesn't take much.

What type of lube are you using? I like to run a new gun "wet" for the first few hundred rounds.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I would tend to agree with 45guy on the round not going fully into battery. If it happens again, try to notice if the slide is not quite seated (just don't do this from the business end...
). Give the slide a little whack after a fail to fire and see if it "bumps" into place. If you are using the "slingshot" method, it is easy to ride the slide just enough to keep it out of battery. You may want to try using the slide stop lever to release the slide to see if it changes.

Regarding your dry firing issues, I am guessing that you have the model without mag disconnect safety? If so, it will dry fire with or without the mag in place. Not sure why it would not dry fire the first time...maybe you are used to a 1911 trigger feel (this was my initial take on the M&P trigger after having a 1911 for the last 30 years)? The triggers on the M&P45 are a bit heavy out of the box, but will lighten up considerably after a few hundred rounds. Also, could it be that the sear lever was still down after you field stripped and reassembled the pistol? It is a good note that you are willing to consider that you could be part of the "problem". If it is the gun, be assured that S&W has the best CS in the business!

Good luck, and Happy Thanksgiving!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your input. I had thought that the round may have not went all the way into battery, but when it happened I didn't really think to try to force the slide forward. I will try using the slide stop to chamber the first round as I have been slingshotting it.

One thing is for sure, everything started performing better after the first 50 rounds and from what I've read on this forum I expect it to improve more.

As for the lube, I got a pistol cleaning kit from Kleen bore when I got the MP and am using the lube that came with the kit.

Is this lube sufficient, if not what are your recommendations?

Thank you for your help and Happy Thanksgiving to you all!

·
Registered
291 Posts
What lube to use? You will get about as many answers as people that respond. I used to be a grease guy but have switched to Weapons Shield for everything I own.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts