MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a week ago I ordered a brand new M&P40 Shield 1.0 Performance Center online for the excellent price of only $359.99! A couple days later it arrived at my LGS and I picked it up in the afternoon. At first glance, the M&P40 Shield 1.0 PC was obviously "new old stock" judging by its very appearance both on the surface of the box and within. The box had some tell-tale signs that it had just been sitting somewhere collecting dust for awhile, (DOB = 01/2017) and the pistol itself was bone dry, it's preservative apparently having long since dried out. However, the tritium inserts on the sights are still nice and bright.

Being a Performance Center model, it has a ported barrel/slide as well as tritium night sights, both of which should come in handy since I do intend to carry this pistol in the future. Typically I'm not fond of porting, but my opinions of porting are largely based on hearsay, as I have never owned nor shot a firearm with a ported barrel. However, for the price I paid, I don't care, if I end up shooting it and disliking the porting, then I can always buy a replacement barrel sans porting down the line, but I think it might actually come in handy on such a lightweight .40cal pistol, and based on what I've seen, when fired at night the flash from the porting appears impressive/potentially intimidating, yet not at all blinding.

My only problem now is that all of my range ammo is CCI Blazer Brass, which has a warning printed on the box against shooting it out of ported barrels. I tried to buy a box of ammo at my LGS when I picked it up, but all they had in stock was Armscor ammo priced at $36 a box, so I had to pass. I didn't check, but I doubt that cheap Armscor ammo is any safer out of a ported barrel than CCI Blazer, and at $36 for a box of 50 rounds, forget it. It's a Performance Center model anyway, so odds are it's 100% reliable right out of the box, and I don't plan on carrying it right away anyhow because it's so cold that I can still easily carry my SW40VE without issue, which holds twice the ammo in the magazine.

Needless to say, I am most pleased with my purchase. I have been seeking a new lightweight subcompact carry gun for hot Summer days as well as concerns over the possibility that my state of residence may adopt restrictions on magazine capacity in the future, and this M&P40 Shield PC fits the bill quite nicely.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought two “new” guns in 2020, Shield40 2.0 and M&P9C 2.0, first was made in 2018 and second 2017.

Must be a big warehouse somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
That gun will serve you well.
If you`re concerned with the ported barrel and ammo choices, just pick up a standard non ported barrel off from ebay.

Not hard to find a barrel at all

This REMSPORT is my choice. They work flawlessly.

AND>>>>>>> A Lifetime Warranty on All RemSport Mfg Barrels

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I used some Armscor 9mm ammo (and .22 TCM) awhile back in doing a pistol T&E for an article for the M1911.ORG Ezine, and found it to be of very good quality. They make their ammo at their USA facility.

I couldn’t remember the exact numbers on the ammo offhand, so I went to the article, and this is a direct quote concerning the Armscor 9mm ammo performance:

[We ran the] “Armscor 124 grain FMJ 9mm ammo through his chronograph, for an average velocity of 1112 feet per second, with an extreme spread of 19.82, and a standard deviation of 7.07. That was a real eye opener for me, as that’s match ammo quality at range ammo prices!”

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@PaPow
I already plan on getting a threaded barrel in the future as well as a 9mm Conversion Barrel as well as possibly a .357 SIG Conversion Barrel instead, so I'll have pretty much all my bases covered.

@Rick M
Out of curiosity, do any of your boxes of Armscor ammo have a warning about ported barrels printed on them? And if not, how thick does the copper jacket appear to be? The copper plating on CCI Blazer ammo is extremely thin, not unlike a .22LR, so it makes sense why they would advise against shooting it.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
@PaPow
I already plan on getting a threaded barrel in the future as well as a 9mm Conversion Barrel as well as possibly a .357 SIG Conversion Barrel instead, so I'll have pretty much all my bases covered.

@Rick M
Out of curiosity, do any of your boxes of Armscor ammo have a warning about ported barrels printed on them? And if not, how thick does the copper jacket appear to be? The copper plating on CCI Blazer ammo is extremely thin, not unlike a .22LR, so it makes sense why they would advise against shooting it.
I think you are taking the ported barrel thing a little to serious. The ports in the Shield PC guns are very tiny. They really dont do much. (exception to dirtier internals)
Now if you had a full size gun comp`d with huge porting, then you might have problems with cycling the weak over the counter range ammo.

I have several M&P PC ported Shield`s, and i have yet to have any problems with factory range ammo functioning.
As a matter of fact, i shoot bunny fart loads out of all of mine that i reload for myself. Just shoot it and enjoy it.

EDIT:
And let me also add, i have a couple friends who shoot CCI Blazer 115FMJ in their Sig SAS ported guns. Not a single hickup.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Perhaps, but better safe than sorry. I have nothing to lose by simply buying another brand of ammo which lacks any advisory against shooting it out of ported barrels.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
@PaPow

@Rick M
No; there are no warnings on the box, and the ammo is “full metal jacket,” not plated. The box also is marked “made in the USA.”

My ported PC Shield 9 really doesn’t seem to shoot much differently when fired at a slower pace. When fired at 3-4 shots per second; it just hangs in place (not recoiling upwards) nicely. There’s also no problem with gasses or fouling when fired from a low retention position.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Hey Pa; it’s good to see your sorry old ass back on the forum! :ROFLMAO:

I missed you buddy.
LOL. good to see you to old buddie ;)
I pop in once in awhile. I dont participate like i use to. Lots of experts here, they dont need my comments or opinions. :cool:🤐

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
LOL. good to see you to old buddie ;)
I pop in once in awhile. I dont participate like i use to. Lots of experts here, they dont need my comments or opinions. :cool:🤐
Yeah; I just stop by occasionally myself any more.

I been doing a lot more 1911 and J-Frame shooting, carry and work than the M&Ps for the last several months myself.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
shrugs

The boxes of CCI Blazer Brass that I have in my range bag both have warnings printed on the box stating that the ammo should not be fired out of ported barrels/compensators. Said boxes of ammo were purchased in 2019 and early 2020.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts