MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know what I want, but I cannot find someone who currently makes the design (for my gun). I suspect that it does not exist and probably never will...

I want an IWB holster, using 2 belt loops and snaps to fasten. I want the belt loops to be placed on strips of leather, attached at the bottom of the holster, to allow a shirt to be tucked in. The belt loops should be placed on the holster so that one is in front of the gun and one is behind. That will increase the holster's stability, as well as lower the profile by not having belt loops and snaps over the gun. The holster can be any color, but the belt loops should be black. I want it made out of leather, preferably horsehide. I want the rim-band, used to help keep the holster's shape, to be made of plastic, so it will not rust or crush. The top should have a higher inside piece (next to the body) to keep the gun from snagging on clothes/skin when holstering/drawing. At the same time, the inner leather should take into account the easily pressed magazine release.

Ideally (but not critical).... I want a thumb-released retention strap, but I want the outter part to be removable. This would be done using a snap on the holster body. However, that snap would not be placed directly on the outside of the holster, it would be slightly to the rear of the gun (outside the trigger guard) to keep the profile flat. The retention strap would be most used when not tucking a shirt.

The holster must be made to fit the M&P 40 (full size) and it should have an adjustable tension screw. All hardware (snaps, retention screw, etc.) would be stainless steel. Without the thumb release, it should be under $100; with it, it should be under $130.

That's the design I want. If you know of something like this, made by a company that does custom work (to fit it to my gun), please let me know. If you want to take my idea and run with it, at least let me work on the product testing with you

·
Registered
406 Posts
Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 in black horsehide! Get the plastic clips if you want it tuckable. Be prepared to wait 16-22 weeks. It's not just your dream holster.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
YukonGlocker said:
So how would your holster differ from the Milt Sparks Versa Max 2???

http://www.miltsparks.com/
The belt loops are not on a "tab" (attached down low) that will allow a shirt to be tucked.

Even if I did get the VM2 with the plastic clips, they still would not be attached very low on the holster, so tucking a shirt would not be that easy (or seemless). Also, I imagine that using plastic clips, the clips would only attach to the holster at one point, meaning that it is not as stable as if a leather tab were stitched onto it.

The Tucker Answer is close to what I want. However, it is not all leather and still uses plastic clips. At least with that holster, the clips attach low on the holster, so tucking a shirt would be easier.

I should add that the prices I mentioned above are just rough ideas. I would certainly be willing to pay more for a holster that meets all my criteria (even without a retention strap).

Any other help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Dude, buy a VM2. You'll be happy.

There's a reason 3 of us responded to your post in a day with the same answer.

There's a reason Milt Sparks wins every holster shootout in every magazine artical on the subject.

There's a reason there's a 16-22 week wait, and people are still lining up.

I've never seen the plastic clips, but if Milt Sparks makes them, and they say that they work well for tucking, then they work well for tucking.

If the VM2 isn't what you want, then maybe you need to change what you want.

And if by some strange chance, you are the only person ever to dislike the VM2, I guarantee you can sell it for what you paid for it in about 2 seconds on ebay, gunbroker, or on this forum.

Or you can be right. They don't make your dream holster. So your M&P should just stay home in your safe. Because no one makes a better holster than Milt Sparks.

·
Registered
52 Posts
bobbthompson said:
Dude, buy a VM2. You'll be happy.

There's a reason 3 of us responded to your post in a day with the same answer.

There's a reason Milt Sparks wins every holster shootout in every magazine artical on the subject.

There's a reason there's a 16-22 week wait, and people are still lining up.

I've never seen the plastic clips, but if Milt Sparks makes them, and they say that they work well for tucking, then they work well for tucking.

If the VM2 isn't what you want, then maybe you need to change what you want.

And if by some strange chance, you are the only person ever to dislike the VM2, I guarantee you can sell it for what you paid for it in about 2 seconds on ebay, gunbroker, or on this forum.

Or you can be right. They don't make your dream holster. So your M&P should just stay home in your safe. Because no one makes a better holster than Milt Sparks.

Make that 4!!

The tuckable clips replace the snap straps, and work perfectly. They are not low on the holster, but the way this holster fits they do not need to be. If it rode any higher on my side I would have trouble getting my arm high enough for a draw. The mouth is reinforce to the point of easy one hand reholster.

I have 3 VMII's and another on order for my M&P9C. This is the most comfortable holster I have ever used, right from the first time worn. Even with my expanding waist line. In fact my latest order included a new belt.

I also have one of their in pocket mag pouches, that works very well in the front pocket of my jeans, or the brest pocket of my Coranado vest.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Kydex clips do not even attach to the belt, which would seem to give less support for the weight.

comet66 said:
The tuckable clips replace the snap straps, and work perfectly. They are not low on the holster, but the way this holster fits they do not need to be. If it rode any higher on my side I would have trouble getting my arm high enough for a draw.
I don't want the holster to ride any higher or lower. I want the attachment point of the belt loop/clip to be low, allowing a shirt to be easily tucked in. Most tuckable holsters offer that type of design.

Maybe this holster is the best fitting, and that's a great thing. I believe you all if you say that's the case. However, I still do not see why the holster is not designed to offer better tuckability. It does look like you can tuck a shirt AROUND the holster, but wadding the shirt up (by the trigger) does not seem like the best solution. I use a cheap, plastic, unstable IWB holster now, just to get me by while I find a great holster. It's tough to order a Milt Sparks holster, wait 4-5+ months, and then find out that it is just "good enough" for the intended purpose. I hate settling for "good enough". I might still buy this holster, but I don't have the same anticipation/excitement that I would have if I had found the design I want :?

I appreciate all the help!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Pick up some leather tools.

Design, craft, and sell the perfect holster.

I'm certain you can make enough money to pay for your shooting hobby.

·
Registered
264 Posts
You have a good idea of what you might want. The VM2 is about as close as you'll get. The thing to worry about putting the tabs attached to some strap attached low on the holster and free to "flap" about is that during the draw stroke you would be putting a leather strap into compression. You run the risk of having the holster come with the gun. The VM2 has a "strap" attaching the front belt loop, but its pretty short so nothing buckles during the draw. You would have to do some experimentation on making sure the straps are strong enough to withstand a harsh draw, like the one youre going to be doing while scared for your life, without buckling and causing the holster and gun to come out as one unit.

On a different note, tuckable holsters are over rated. EVERY one that I have seen prints like crazy if you have your shirt tucked in proper and all. Some even print with a bloused shirt. Most eventually make you look like youre a slob who cant tuck his shirt in right. Worse yet is the guy who has 1/2 of his shirt bloused and the other tucked in normal.

Sadly, in our times when guns are evil, concealed carry by non LEO will require a wardrobe change if you want any kind of accessibility. If you dint really need accessibility then there are other options out there.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
TAZ, you make some good points. I was thinking of the possible drawbacks of having the belt loops on tabs, so it's good to hear some feedback regarding that. Also, I do see what you mean about tucking and looking "presentable". It seems like there is no real good way to use a holster on the belt and tuck your shirt in?

My regular jacket comes down to my waist. If I leave my shirt untucked, then my shirt extends lower than my jacket. I think that looks pretty sloppy. Does anyone have a solution? Just buy a long jacket?

·
Registered
264 Posts
If youre using IWB, you can get by with a jacket that runs a few inches below your belt line. Obviously, if its short you need to be careful to no extend , or bend too much. I can get by with a regular leather jacket using any IWB holster. The jacket runs just below the top of my pocket when wearing jeans. My wardrobe changes to cover for CHL include wearing untucked shirts during warm months. These are either Hawaiian style, guyabera, or just plain ole Polo's. If I have to dress up nice and tuck in, I can usually get away with wearing a sports coat. During the cooler months, I tend to wear untucked light weight pullovers that are presentable for most of my needs. On casual outings I can layer an untucked shirt over a printed T-shirt, or wear a shirtjack of sorts. When its freezing, well its not an issue cause I am layered to hell and back.

·
Registered
83 Posts
For what it's worth...

I've had very good luck with Bladetech's UCH holster. I have one for my Walther P99 9mm and was able to tuck my shirt in with very appealing results. Granted, it doesn't fit the design that you've put forth and some of my success is due largely to my body type and build. I just thought I'd throw it out there and let you know that some holsters with some bodies can be very successfully tucked without printing or looking sloppy.

MC

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ShooterMcGavin said:
It seems like there is no real good way to use a holster on the belt and tuck your shirt in?
Well? Is it possible to tuck your shirt and look "proper" (i.e. not print)?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I gave up on tuckable IWBs. They just don't work for me.

Get more "guayaberas" or Hawaian shirts... :wink:

·
Registered
264 Posts
[quote="ShooterMcGavin]Well? Is it possible to tuck your shirt and look "proper" (i.e. not print)?[/quote]

Not in my experience. No matter what you do, you have to blouse the shirt some to allow for your range of motion, cover up the belt loops/clips and cover up the bulge on your side. You will probably never get that clean cut military tuck.

I have been fortunate enough to have a lifestyle that does not require a tucked shirt without also making some form of covering garment possible. 99% of the time I can get away with untucked stuff. The other 1% of the time I either forgo carrying, or forgo the occasion. If it ever becomes an issue I can always carry a small revolver in a pocket holster or go for some Thunderwear type thing. So far so good though.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
ShooterMcGavin said:
Well? Is it possible to tuck your shirt and look "proper" (i.e. not print)?
I met a friend for lunch last week that is a realtor. He was wearing a USPc in a CTAC tucked. He uses the standard clips so you could see them, but if he had the V-clips, the gun/holster would have been completely invisible. I wear a CTAC everyday, but had never tried it with a tucked in shirt. I was very impressed.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts