MP-Pistol Forum banner

My week old rusty M&P, the final chapter…..

2K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  mad212 
#1 ·
My week old rusty M&P, the final chapter…..

Well, for those of you that did not read my previous posts, I will do a quick recap. I bought a brand new M&P 40, at the beginning of August. Three days later it was covered in rust. The slide, sights, roll pins, serial number, slide release, and the one mag were all rusty. So I called S&W and they sent me an over night label to send the gun in. I sent it out, and received it about 10 working days later. The only thing they replaced was the slide, and the sights and roll pins still have rust on them and the rest has rust stains. So I called a second time and requested a supervisor. I told him the whole story, and told him this was unacceptable. He said the Melonite was not finished correctly. The final step is salt bathing, and if that is not done correctly it will cause everything to rust fast. So he apologized and sent out another overnight label.

So, yesterday I got my gun back. After two months the gun came back with everything replaced. It looks as good as it did the day I bought it. And on top of that S&W threw in a set of night sights! When I went to buy a polymer handgun I compared the three obvious choices XD, Glock, and M&P. After shooting all three, and reading a lot of reviews I chose the M&P. I thought it had the best grip, lightest recoil, and it just IMO was built better. I think the M&P is young, but if they get the little bugs worked out I think they could get the market share. It is a better gun for the same price.

I have to admit I am back on the S&W love train. Not only did they stand behind their product, their service department is top notch. Not a lot of companies care about their customers any more, but S&W sure does. A lot of people are quick to complain when something goes wrong, but never say thanks when things go right.

Thank you Smith and Wesson!

Previous posts

http://mp-pistol.com/boards/viewtopic.php?...;highlight=rust

http://mp-pistol.com/boards/viewtopic.php?...&highlight=

See less See more
#3 ·
Glad it turned out all right.

#6 ·
Glad everything worked out!

I have to admit, your first posts about the rusting had me paranoid. I was checking for rust every night... even shot a match in the rain and just assumed it was a matter of time before I was bitten by the rust bug. I was cleaning and oiling like I should, but I just figured it was going to happen anyway.

Hasn't happened, and I am grateful. I will put my paranoia to rest now.

The only gun related rust I have is on my 1911's hammer. Oh well, I wanted to put a blue one on it anyway.

#7 ·
Re: My week old rusty M&P, the final chapter…..

jamesr said:
Not only did they stand behind their product, their service department is top notch. Not a lot of companies care about their customers any more, but S&W sure does.

Thank you Smith and Wesson!

This is the the #1 reason I now own Smith and Wesson products. IMHO, most of today's modern firearms from the tier 1 and 2 manufacturers all grade pretty similiarly on features and functionality. What makes one stand out above another, again IMHO, is the way the vendor stands behind their products. This is a great ending to what could have been a disaster. Kudo's to Smith and Wesson!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.