MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just acquired a M&P full size (a newbie to handguns) and will be getting my concealed carry permit as soon as possible. I am NOT planning to carry very much though. The permit will allow me to take it with me in the car and to carry it in my bike's saddle bags when on trips. I'm thinking (don't really know) that a leather holster might more suit my needs which will be to offer some gun protection when under the seat or in the saddle bags. I'm not ruling out the possibility of carrying at some point so, I don't want something that is absolutely NOT concealable. The Kydex paddles look nice but, they don't seem to offer much protection to the guns finish. The Safariland seems to have the most coverage. Do many folks use the leather (Galco, K&D) type holsters? I just need some advice because I have some Christmas bucks to spend.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Off body carry may be more suited by using a dedicated handgun fanny pack or specialty bag such as the Maxpedition Fat Boy, they probably would not look out of place on a motorcycle.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I think you're looking at two different holsters ... For the bike something like EBAY # 270068739424 or 150072726062 (sorry the links are just too long)

When your looking for generic holsters for the M&P, pick ones that fit the Glock 21. The M&P is so new that they don't have many specific holsters for it yet.

EBAY # 130059625778 would be an excellent choice as well.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Just a question, but how will it help you if its in your saddle bags on your bike? Are you just wanting the CHL so you can transport your firearm loaded?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ClosetCaseNerd said:
Just a question, but how will it help you if its in your saddle bags on your bike? Are you just wanting the CHL so you can transport your firearm loaded?

Having a license would keep the law off my back if I had a loaded gun with me (under the car seat or in the saddle bags). In Oklahoma, having a loaded cartridge out of the gun is still considered carrying a loaded gun. Just don't think I'll be carrying much. Maybe when we walk the dogs at night or when we're camping.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Okay, I was just wonderin is all... some people slip into the mindset similar to girls who say "No, its okay, I've got mace... *fumble fumble dig dig through her purse*...see?"

Just as long as you dont think it some lucky charm of protection and see what a gun in a saddle bag really is, its cool

If you really like leather and want to protect the finish of the gun, look into something that has a high backing to prevent beavertails/hammers from gouging ones side while wearing, or a thumb break. For example:

I think Galco would be a fine choice and something with a thumb break would do you very well to both protect the finish and prevent the gun from slipping out of its holster while within the saddlebag or under your car seat. Unfortunately I think a paddle would do you best since you'd just be slipping it on for walking the dog and such, but they don't make their paddle version for the M&P as of yet.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Not really sure that a holster would help much. Seems like you would be much better served by some form of bag like a SafePacker or even a range bag that can ride in your trunk.

On a different note, you may want to give some thought to your mode of carry. Having a gun under the car seat, while slightly better than having a gun in the safe at home, is not going to be much use to you. It will also become a really good projectile in case of an accident unless it is properly secured. The last thing you need bouncing about the passenger compartment is a couple of pounds of steel. Same thing goes for your saddle bags. The gun will pretty much be useless to you and a prime target for getting stolen if you leave it there.

If youre worried about the law while transporting to and from a range, invest in a good range bag that has a padded sleeve or rug and youre set.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Warhawk said:
Is that one of the new Yamaha Strato-liners?

Yup! It's an '06 and I've already put 11,000 miles on her.

This is my third Star. First was a Vstar1100, then was a Roadstar.

Great bikes.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
TAZ said:
Not really sure that a holster would help much. Seems like you would be much better served by some form of bag like a SafePacker or even a range bag that can ride in your trunk.

On a different note, you may want to give some thought to your mode of carry. Having a gun under the car seat, while slightly better than having a gun in the safe at home, is not going to be much use to you. It will also become a really good projectile in case of an accident unless it is properly secured. The last thing you need bouncing about the passenger compartment is a couple of pounds of steel. Same thing goes for your saddle bags. The gun will pretty much be useless to you and a prime target for getting stolen if you leave it there.

If youre worried about the law while transporting to and from a range, invest in a good range bag that has a padded sleeve or rug and youre set.
Never considered being in an accident.

Good point though.

So, when you're in your car, do you carry on your belt? Seems very uncomfortable, considering seat belt and all.

Actually, I've noticed the thread about the Blade Tech Revolution. Seems functional and covers the trigger and, I could opt to wear it. Not much protection to the gun but, I need to consider my priorities.

·
Registered
130 Posts
You might want to look at the Wilderness Tactical Safepacker

http://thewilderness.com/catalog/product_i...0b393443edfbaac

That way you could carry it when off your bike. I sure wouldn't want the liability of leaving a handgun in saddlebags when not on the bike. BTW, love your bike.

I'm of the school "sh*t happens" so whenever I can I have that handgun with me. Sometimes in a holster, sometimes in a fanny pack. What convinced me was that there was two spree killings in 2000 in Pittsburgh area where part of the sprees included 2 restaurants I have been to. In fact I was going to go to the Chinese restaurant that day where two murders happened except I was late getting out to lunch and knew they closed lunch at 3, so I ended up at a different restuarant. On my way back I saw the news trucks heading to the scene. Sad part that day was the killer drove on to a karate school where a friend of mine taught and killed a young African-American man training in the school. (This was the Richard Baumhammer case ).

In the car some people use a crossdraw holster. Some of the kydex holsters have adjustable cants where you could turn one in to a cross draw if you desired.

Baumhammer spree killings in case anyone is interested. http://www.post-gazette.com/regionstate/20...9shootings2.asp[/url]

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: You might want to look at the Wilderness Tactical Safepa

I'm sure glad I came here. This looks like the answer. I guess the 'Government' model would be correct for the full size M&P?

Not having my concealed carry permit yet and being the newbie that I am I have a couple of questions:

The gun being in this bag and the bag being in plain sight would qualify as concealed?

I could hang it on my belt in the heat of summer with just a T-shirt on and it would qualify as concealed?

There's nothing in the construction of the bag that could possibly hang the trigger and cause an accidental discharge?

Oh yeah, thanks for the help. This answers the question about what if your in a car collision, if it's fastened to the seat belt.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Carrying before you get your permit

Check your local laws, I really wouldn't advise carrying the gun on your person until you get the permit and check what the law is for transporting in a vehicle. Does the case need locked? Ammo in separate case? Locked? Gun in a bag that you're carrying is definitely considered concealed.

I don't have a Safepacker yet, so I can't answer you questions. You might want to give Wilderness Tactical a call and they can tell you the size you need as well.

Figure I'll get one someday. Since it was invented by a Sheriff's Mountain Rescue Team operator I would assume it carries the gun safely.

I've seen good reviews in gun magazines. Here's a review you might want to read.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=214405

Also Michael Bane who knows his firearms and methods of carry recommends it as well. http://www.shootinggallery.tv/articles/pub...rticle_84.shtml

Oh and Wilderness Tactical makes a Tactical Belt that is worn by a ton of people in the shooting world including me.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm still waiting to here from THEWILDERNESS because the full size 9mm M&P is not listed so, I'm not sure which model I will need to order. Maybe they are still on Christmas break.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts