MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and 3 of my friends just ordered AR15s on Monday. One got a Stag Arms, one got a colt, and me and the last friend both got M&P15s. I've read on here that the Wolf ammo is crappy. The best price I found is $149 for 1000 rounds of FMJ 55gr non-corrosive. I also read that for the 1:9 twist barrels I should use 40-70gr. So I picked the middle, either 50-55gr.

My concerns are in order of importance.



1.Price

2.cleanliness ammo

3.accuracy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,535 Posts
I just ordered a mess of Wolf, it is very dirty and not great, but it works for plinking. I havent had the chance to try it but Lake City is great from what I have read. There quantaties are getting low as is alot of other manufacturers due to most of it is going to the military. Federal is another good brand.



Contact G56 he knows alot about ammo and quality!!



Congrats on the MP15 you lucky B%^$$^*&$




Evil Joker said:
Me and 3 of my friends just ordered AR15s on Monday. One got a Stag Arms, one got a colt, and me and the last friend both got M&P15s. I've read on here that the Wolf ammo is crappy. The best price I found is $149 for 1000 rounds of FMJ 55gr non-corrosive. I also read that for the 1:9 twist barrels I should use 40-70gr. So I picked the middle, either 50-55gr.

My concerns are in order of importance.



1.Price

2.cleanliness ammo

3.accuracy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,726 Posts
American Eagle, Remington and Federal all 55 grain will be fine. You can pick up Remington UMC at Walmart for $6.50 for a box of 20rds, or in bulk. American Eagle you can find, but quantities vary from store to store for under $7 for4 a box of 20rds. So deals are out there I would suggest the www.ammoman.com and www.armorey.com or www.sportsmanguide.com All these will get you something to shoot, but only you can pull the trigger. Congrats on your M&P15, which model did you get?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just got the standard M&P15 so I have more options. I am ordering an aftermarket grip from GTDIST.com, yankee hill quad rail, ameriglo sights, and I already have a 4x red green aimpoint I picked up at a gun show for $20 (cheap but will give me time to decide on a more expensive one), and 2 tactical lights. I am still trying to find a flash suppressor I like, I want a big honker obnoxious one that looks menacing.
 

·
Site Staff
Joined
·
9,617 Posts
I mostly shoot my own handloads, I also have a couple of cases of IMI M193 which isn't really available now, but you know what? If you look where I store that ammo you will find a case of Wolf 223! When I'm plinking, not really concerned with the very best accuracy, and/or I can't expect to pick up the brass, I shoot the Wolf, it's not brass so it isn't worth picking up.



Will Wolf hurt your AR? There are thousands of shooters with AR's that shoot Wolf all the time, not one single report of any damage caused by Wolf ammo.



Will Wolf work in my AR? That's the $64,000* question, it works fine in most, there are some that choke on it, the only way to find out is to try it, if it works, fine, if not, try something else.



What can cause the problem with Wolf 223 ammo? Wolf 223 ammo is loaded on the light side, some rifles don't work right with the lighter loads, but it works fine in most, I've never had any problems at all.



Is it dirty and smell funny? Yes, Wolf does run on the dirty side, and the powder smells funny when it burns, if that's all you have to worry about you're doing pretty good. The steel cases on Wolf ammo don't seal the chamber as well as brass cartridge cases, make sure you clean your chamber well, they make a special chamber brush for AR's, or you can use a 20 ga shotgun bronze brush as a substitute, you should be cleaning your chamber no matter what ammo you are shooting.



Most of the budget ammo works fine in most AR's, Winchester White Box, Federal American Eagle, etc, the same cautions apply, they are also loaded on the light side, and don't funtion in all rifles, but work fine in 95% of them.



* OK, if some of you don't know about the $64,000 question, it was a popular TV game show in the 50's, the term $64,000 question is still a popular saying even now.
 

·
Site Staff
Joined
·
9,617 Posts
I would suggest you avoid Ammoman, he got kicked off AR15.com for unethical practices and a general bad attitude towards customer service, if you had a problem....good luck! At one time Ammoman was a major advertiser on AR15.com, advertising money pays the bills, it had to be pretty serious before they would kick out a paid advertiser. I have had a personal experience with this "person", and he will never see another penny of my money.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,535 Posts
It has to be wolf....lol I have never seen a quality .223 for a 1K for $149. If you are in fact getting a quality load please send me the link!!!!!!




utarch00 said:
[quote name='Evil Joker'] The best price I found is $149 for 1000 rounds of FMJ 55gr non-corrosive.




Where are you finding 1000 rounds for $149. What brand is it?[/quote]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It was Wolf. I checked the website the very next day and they were sold out!!! I am now on a new search.
 

·
Site Staff
Joined
·
9,617 Posts
We used to be able to buy Wolf for $100 to $110 per 1,000, but those days are gone!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,726 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Wolf Ammo

Recently attended a handgun training course. One of the participants was shooting a HK using Wolf ammo. The gun jamed because of a cartridge split in the chamber. The instructor cleared the gun and said that Wolf cartridges had a lacquer applied to them and when exposed to a great deal of heat would jam in the chamber. He had seen several AR15 ejectors broken due to this problem. I would be very careful in using Wolf .223 on my MP15.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,535 Posts
Thats where I just got mine, and you get 2 dry boxes per 1K




Evil Joker.... I had problems with Wolf when I first got my AR but with some help from the folks here on MP it was my rifle not the ammo!!!! I took it apart, blew out the gas tube and key and cycled flawlessly, this was like 2 months ago and havent had a problem since. This is not saying Wolf will be my only choice in ammo, far from that....lol I will buy some Federals and some Lake City as soon as I hit the lotery......lmao




Just buy few boxes and try them first, like previously stated not all rifles like it.........



Morgan Walker said:
Surprisingly, I found a bulk buy at Cabelas in stock which at this point in time I am considering...



http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...&hasJS=true
 

·
Site Staff
Joined
·
9,617 Posts
Here's the quality of the Cabela's bulk pack ammo, it's Ultramax reloaded ammo of dubious quality, it is on record of blowing up a few AR15's.



Note that these aren't 2 different pictures of the same box of ammo, these are two boxes out of a case of Cabela's bulk pack bought from their website.



This kind of stuff is why I say that I will never buy reloaded ammo from any company except Black Hills ammo.







 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,535 Posts
Now thats a scary sight to see G56. I bulk bought Wolf from Cabelas. But I also bought 500 rnds of this Ultramax stuff in 9mm. I took it all out of the box I havejnt seen any that look anything like this, but as soon as I get out and shoot it I will post my reports.



Good thing I chose not to go with Ultramax in .223 these look terrible, and hazardous to say the least!!!!



Thanks for the post John.



G56 said:
Here's the quality of the Cabela's bulk pack ammo, it's Ultramax reloaded ammo of dubious quality, it is on record of blowing up a few AR15's.



Note that these aren't 2 different pictures of the same box of ammo, these are two boxes out of a case of Cabela's bulk pack bought from their website.



This kind of stuff is why I say that I will never buy reloaded ammo from any company except Black Hills ammo.







 

·
Site Staff
Joined
·
9,617 Posts
From the Ammunition Review & Reference

http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=210



First column is users who were satisfied with the ammo,

Second column is users who had trouble with the ammo

Third Column is users who had so much trouble they stopped using

the ammo completely



(1) 1035 responses (94.4% / 4.0% / 1.6%) FEDERAL/LC XM193

(2) 681 responses (93.0% / 5.3% / 1.8%) WINCHESTER .223CAL

(3) 699 responses (92.7% / 5.3% / 2.0%) WINCHESTER Q3131A / IMI M193

(4) 519 responses (92.7% / 4.2% / 3.1%) FEDERAL/AMERICAN EAGLE .223CAL

(5) 331 responses (92.8% / 3.9% / 3.3%) WINCHESTER Q3131

(6) 572 responses (88.8% / 6.6% / 4.5%) REMINGTON/UMC

(7) 426 responses (83.3% / 12.0% / 4.7%) GUATEMALAN M193

8-- 309 responses (86.7% / 7.8% / 5.5%) PMC

(9) 242 responses (86.0% / 7.9% / 5.8%) FEDERAL/LC XM855

(10) 304 responses (86.5% / 6.6% / 6.9%) PMP (Soth African)

(11) 43 responses (81.4% / 11.6% / 7.0%) HUNTING SHACK MUNITIONS (HSM)

(12) 896 responses (79.5% / 13.3% / 7.3%) RADWAY GREEN

(13) 402 responses (69.2% / 23.1% / 7.7%) FEDERAL/LC XM855PD

(14) 205 responses (80.0% / 12.2% / 7.8%) BARNAUL/Blue box Monarch

(15) 525 responses (81.9% / 9.3% / 9.0%) SELLIER & BELLOT

(16) 1551 responses (78.7% / 11.7% / 9.6%) WOLF (Polymer Coating)

(17) 103 responses (83.5% / 6.8% / 9.7%) IGMAN/HOTSHOT

18-- 393 responses (73.8% / 15.0% / 11.2%) WOLF/Prvi Partizan M193

(19) 592 responses (71.1% / 16.6% / 12.3%) ADCOM M855

(20) 258 responses (58.1% / 25.6% / 16.3%) FEDERAL/LC XM193PD

(21) 331 responses (71.6% / 11.5% / 16.9%) SILVER BEAR

(22) 131 responses (71.8% / 9.2% / 19.1%) ULTRAMAX

(23) 115 responses (58.3% / 22.6% / 19.1%) SANTA BARBARA SS109 (ARCHIVED)

(24) 209 responses (66.0% / 6.7% / 27.3%) WOLF (Lacquer coating) (ARCHIVED)

(25) 112 responses (53.6% / 17.9% / 28.6%) MAINE CARTRIDGE CO.

(26) 105 responses (56.2% / 14.3% / 29.5%) NATEC polymer-cased

(27) 389 responses (42.7% / 8.5% / 48.8%) OLYMPIC



From the researcher who collected the information:

"I will make a blanket statement here by adding one ammo manufacturer which hasn't been rated: American Ammunition (AMERC headstamp). There have been many reports of this ammo, and the brass itself being substandard. Please avoid it at all costs."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,535 Posts
Thanks again John, I am digging into it now......Lots of reading!!!



G56 said:
From the Ammunition Review & Reference

http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=210



First column is users who were satisfied with the ammo,

Second column is users who had trouble with the ammo

Third Column is users who had so much trouble they stopped using

the ammo completely



(1) 1035 responses (94.4% / 4.0% / 1.6%) FEDERAL/LC XM193

(2) 681 responses (93.0% / 5.3% / 1.8%) WINCHESTER .223CAL

(3) 699 responses (92.7% / 5.3% / 2.0%) WINCHESTER Q3131A / IMI M193

(4) 519 responses (92.7% / 4.2% / 3.1%) FEDERAL/AMERICAN EAGLE .223CAL

(5) 331 responses (92.8% / 3.9% / 3.3%) WINCHESTER Q3131

(6) 572 responses (88.8% / 6.6% / 4.5%) REMINGTON/UMC

(7) 426 responses (83.3% / 12.0% / 4.7%) GUATEMALAN M193

8-- 309 responses (86.7% / 7.8% / 5.5%) PMC

(9) 242 responses (86.0% / 7.9% / 5.8%) FEDERAL/LC XM855

(10) 304 responses (86.5% / 6.6% / 6.9%) PMP (Soth African)

(11) 43 responses (81.4% / 11.6% / 7.0%) HUNTING SHACK MUNITIONS (HSM)

(12) 896 responses (79.5% / 13.3% / 7.3%) RADWAY GREEN

(13) 402 responses (69.2% / 23.1% / 7.7%) FEDERAL/LC XM855PD

(14) 205 responses (80.0% / 12.2% / 7.8%) BARNAUL/Blue box Monarch

(15) 525 responses (81.9% / 9.3% / 9.0%) SELLIER & BELLOT

(16) 1551 responses (78.7% / 11.7% / 9.6%) WOLF (Polymer Coating)

(17) 103 responses (83.5% / 6.8% / 9.7%) IGMAN/HOTSHOT

18-- 393 responses (73.8% / 15.0% / 11.2%) WOLF/Prvi Partizan M193

(19) 592 responses (71.1% / 16.6% / 12.3%) ADCOM M855

(20) 258 responses (58.1% / 25.6% / 16.3%) FEDERAL/LC XM193PD

(21) 331 responses (71.6% / 11.5% / 16.9%) SILVER BEAR

(22) 131 responses (71.8% / 9.2% / 19.1%) ULTRAMAX

(23) 115 responses (58.3% / 22.6% / 19.1%) SANTA BARBARA SS109 (ARCHIVED)

(24) 209 responses (66.0% / 6.7% / 27.3%) WOLF (Lacquer coating) (ARCHIVED)

(25) 112 responses (53.6% / 17.9% / 28.6%) MAINE CARTRIDGE CO.

(26) 105 responses (56.2% / 14.3% / 29.5%) NATEC polymer-cased

(27) 389 responses (42.7% / 8.5% / 48.8%) OLYMPIC



From the researcher who collected the information:

"I will make a blanket statement here by adding one ammo manufacturer which hasn't been rated: American Ammunition (AMERC headstamp). There have been many reports of this ammo, and the brass itself being substandard. Please avoid it at all costs."
 

·
Site Staff
Joined
·
9,617 Posts
Note the item on that list in the #2 position, that's Winchester White Box, yep, the stuff you buy at Wally World, not bad performance for a budget ammo!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,726 Posts
G56 said:
Note the item on that list in the #2 position, that's Winchester White Box, yep, the stuff you buy at Wally World, not bad performance for a budget ammo!


That's me brother... They also will order as much as you want too. I just put in an order this past weekend for a 1000, for just over $300 and it will arrive tomorrow.
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top