MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As an extension to the tips on shooting right handed and left-eyed, I have a question.

I have a new M&P9. Shoots w-a-y low and left. Are there any easy options with moving the fixed sights?

Alternatively, does anyone have experience with the Novaks that are adjustable for elevation?

Thanks,

--jcd

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
It is almost a sure thing that it is you that is shooting low left and not your pistol. It's a common problem and a dead giveaway. You might be squeezing too hard with your strong hand and jerking the trigger which generally goes hand in hand with flinching at recoil. Dry-fire a lot to get a feel for a smooth trigger press, and load a snap cap in your mag along with your ammo and watch your front sight take a dive.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Coltman - Not sure who's :roll: you are +1-ing. Your response on the other thread was plenty - thanks.

Choochboost - I appreciate your prescription. Generally your diagnosis would be right on. I did do as you suggested just to double check my trigger pull. Nothing. I'm quite sure it is my eyes, thus all the questions about getting adjustable sights like all of my other target guns.

As an aside, I am indeed impressed with the M&P trigger compared to my Kimber Gold Match 1911 and target revolvers. With only 118 rounds through the 9, the trigger is very predictable and crisp.

--jcd

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My apologies sir - never seen the eye roll used for direction vs the way one of the girls in my house use it.

--jcd

·
Registered
70 Posts
A lot of people have reported shooting low and left when they first get their M&P. Check the alignment of your front sight. Some came from the factory offset to the right, which would cause POI to be left of POA. Mine was like that and I had the gun shop where I bought the gun tap the front sight to the left a little.

Not sure about the shooting low issue. My M&P tends to shoot slightly high if I concentrate only on the front sight. If I take my time and align the sights perfectly, it shoots pretty much POA.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I reccomend you leave the front sight alone and move the rear unless the front seems to be moving on it's own. Once you move it you will need to locktite it.

One of mine , SN MPBXXXX had a wandering front that needed a bit of locktite. Once centered and locktited in place the rear was adjusted to set POI.

If POI is truly low you can file the front sight to bring it up or perhaps better send it back to S&W.

Good luck

:twisted:

Edit: Birchwood "Perma Blue", available at Wally World, works well on these sights if you do choose to file.

·
Registered
415 Posts
shooting way low and left is most likely shooter induced.

I see it in every class I teach and it is always flinching.

It might be the gun but not likely

Mike

·
Registered
70 Posts
My front sight was tight, but just not centered. The gun shop used a brass punch to move it left enough to center it. The sight hasn't moved since then and the gun is shooting POA if I do my part.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It is highly unlikely to be shooter induced - short of there being an issue with my eyes and fixed sights.

I'm no sharpshooter, so I took advice here and reviewed the diagnostic target - I did bring the POI up to the level of POA, but it was 6" - 8" inches to the left. Every other pistol I shot put rounds in the neighborhood of where I want them to go. Not so with the M&P.

The sights being a tad off center is all I can see as being an issue at the moment.

--jcd

·
Registered
172 Posts
Most shooting low-left is a shooter problem. However, my M&P9 came with the front sight a bit off to the right and shot left and low out of the box. I spent about 1500 rounds trying to correct my problem before I decided that maybe the problem was the pistol. Sent it back to S&W with some drawings of where it was shooting. Came back within a week with the front sight centered and the low gone.

I did so much "fixing" my shooting with that pistol that I got to the point I couldn't shoot it. I took too long to realize that I didn't shoot anything else low and left like that. I got to the point that I had a block about shooting the pistol that I couldn't shoot it very accurately after it came back with the low and left fixed. I put it down for a while and, suddenly, it became a pretty good shooter.

Have someone else who shoots well, shoot the pistol and see where his POI is.

Try shooting it from a rest to take out shooter error.

Shoot something else and see if it also goes low-left.

The expert advice that it is your shooting mechanics is generally correct, but not always.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Another test is if you're a right handed shooter, switch to your left (even when doing two handed shooting). If you're finger or grip is screwed up, there's a fair chance the opposite will happen after switching. I used to push bullets left (right handed), when I switched to my left hand they went the other way... pretty clear it was me and not the gun.

NOTE: Shooting from a bench does NOT always eliminate shooter error. A trigger finger can do a lot on it's own.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I agree, shooting from a rest will not take out every shooter error, but it should elminate some.

The idea is to elminate variables (pistol or shooter). I shot some pretty good groups with the M&P out of the box, just 3-4" left and 5-6" low at 15 yards (less at shorter distances), until I started trying to fix shooter error that wasn't there.

Now when the pistol shoots low-left, I have a serious discussion with the part pulling the trigger, because I have confidence in the pistol.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Im a range master for my dept and every time I see someone shooting low left its antisipation granted sights can be off a tad but the low left for a right handed person will 99% of the time be antisipation .. I know if im not putting in my fair share of trigger time it will raise its ugly head with me ..

What you want to do is reload some dummy rounds or get someone to reload you some dummy rounds.

then have someone else load your Mags for you or just put your rounds in a pocket and load them in your mags with out cheating and you will be made very aware if your antisipating those shots .. Its better to do it with no one around so you wont hurt your ego so bad

1 - 18 of 18 Posts