MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I finally got a pistol, a M&P 9. Now I need a holster, but I'm completely new to this, so I don't know what I need. I bought this pistol to carry when hunting and hiking, also just to shoot for fun at the range. So I need a holster that will be comfortable to carry and climb in and out (up/down) of a deer stand, also needs to not stick out too much when I'm carrying it hiking, I'm not trying to show off the fact that I'm carrying a pistol. Lastly, I do want a quality holster, but I don't want to spend too much money. I can't really define what "too much money" is, but thats a start.

So, IWB or OWB, Belt or Paddle?

I also need to choose a material, seems like my options are Leather, Nylon, Hard Plastic; Will the hard plastic scratch the finish off my pistol?

Thanks!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm currently shopping for a few holster options as well...

It sounds like you'd probably want an OWB. They are generally the most comfortable and allow for the fastest draw. The tradeoff being that they will be visible unless obscured by clothing.

I tried a variety of the Kydex (the hard plastic) holsters and just did not care for them much.

I would recommend looking at the Desantis leather holsters. About $60-70 for a good OWB holster. If you are going to be doing some serious hiking they also make one with a thumbreak strap on it.

Ultimately it's up to you though and what you find comfortable.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
There's plenty of threads here on holsters so do a search. Its Comp-tac's holsters for me. IWB CTAC and OWB FBI Paddle. No matter what the holster is made of, it will eventually cause wear on the finish of your pistol.

·
Registered
38 Posts
choochboost said:
There's plenty of threads here on holsters so do a search. Its Comp-tac's holsters for me. IWB CTAC and OWB FBI Paddle. No matter what the holster is made of, it will eventually cause wear on the finish of your pistol.

I have an IWB CTAC and like it as well. Did not really care for the paddle holster so much though.

·
Registered
66 Posts
choochboost said:

+1 Comp-Tac OWB FBI Paddle. Very comfortable. Easy on and off and conceals very well for a OWB.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I picked up a Blade-Tech Revolution holster and it works pretty well for range work and such. They're relatively inexpensive and you can get an attachment for either belt or paddle. They've got them for sale in the M&P Store, only about $25. I personally really like it, but I just use it for range work, if I was gonna carry full time I might go with leather, just MHO.

·
Registered
246 Posts
+2 on the Comp-Tac holsters. I also have the Comp-Tac paddle FBI cant OWB and like it very well. I find that it works very well for IDPA, when riding my ATV and for walking around in the woods. It is very easy to put on and take off. It stays put and feels as solid as a belt holster. I also have the Comp-Tac Infidel with the Gurka outrigger IWB holster and wear it on a daily basis for concealed carry. These are the first Kydex holsters that I have owner. I never thought that I would like the plastic holsters, but after getting exposed to the Comp-Tac FBI, I am liking them very well. The retention pressure is adjustable (very nice to tighten up for the ATV ride) and presentation from the holster is FAST!

·
Registered
100 Posts
The CTAC works well. Had to mod mine to make it ride where I liked, but since then, all is A-OK :!:

I recently bought the Desantis leather OWB from S&W's website, since I did not have an OWB holster and wanted to try one. So far, I'm not sure about it.

The fit is VERY snug, so I'm stretching it out a bit by leaving my 9c in a dress sock in the holster, as recommended by Desantis. I think I also need a better and stiffer belt, since everything pulls up and the gun binds in the holster when I draw.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts