MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to switch from my Uncle Mike's size 36 soft IWB to a "real" holster. I have decided on Comp-tac because of the price, turn around time, and flexibility. I will be staying with IWB carry. I have a few concerns though.

First off, I'd like to get the opinions of you guys that have Comp-tacs. Which ones and why do you like/dislike it? What would you change? Looking for some experience and hindsight here.

One of my concerns is that I can't carry all of the time. No wal-mart carry here, no restaurants until Dec. (that's right, we won one, woot!). I also don't carry at work unless someone was recently fired. I don't carry IWB while in the car because of the considerable amount of time added to the draw (unless I add a gun for only pass. seat use which is possible). So I take my gun off of my side a couple of times each day. With my soft holster, I can leave the holster on (it is on me right now with the gun in the car) and it disappears completely. I know that Kydex will not do the same thing. Are the comp-tacs fairly easy to put on and take off? I don't want to have to take my pants half way off every time I pull up to the shop, wally world, restaurant, you get the idea. Do some of you leave the holster on while not carrying? If not, do you have trouble getting it on and off while in the car (assuming no one stands in a parking lot while dicking around with their holster and gun)? Should I ask more questions? Are we there yet? What about now?

I should say that I am 5'11" 185 lbs. Fairly small frame.

Thanks so much in advance.

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
I tried the ctac, and didn't care for it...I'm the same size as you, 5'9 170

I suggest though, if you don't mind a cheap holster, try to hume 715:

http://www.mp-store.com/product_info.php?c...dc306096bd6ba5a

I carry a UHC when I don't need to take the holster off.

I carry the hume 715 when I need to clip the holster on and off easily, and its cheap.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
johndoe1027 said:
First off, I'd like to get the opinions of you guys that have Comp-tacs. Which ones and why do you like/dislike it? What would you change? Looking for some experience and hindsight here.
All my carry guns have a CTAC that goes with it. My CTACs are modified slightly and they are the perfect concealment holster for me.

When I feel like going OWB, I use the Comp-Tac FBI Paddle. It has a slight forward cant which aids in concealment. It is very secure, but still easy on and off.

Are the comp-tacs fairly easy to put on and take off? I don't want to have to take my pants half way off every time I pull up to the shop, wally world, restaurant, you get the idea.
I guess it depends on the model. The CTACs drop right down onto the belt. How easily it will go on depends entirely how tight your belt is when you're not wearing the holster. If the belt is worn to accommodate a IWB holster then its easy, if the belt is cinched up then you'll probably have to loosen up the belt a bit to get the thing in your pants. Makes sense, huh?

Do some of you leave the holster on while not carrying?
Sometimes but not usually. I can carry pretty much anywhere I go. California doesn't issue a lot of permits which is why those of us that have them enjoy so much freedom. So you can wear a CTAC without the gun if you want, and expect your pants to still fir the same thanks to the stiff kydex that is still in place.

If not, do you have trouble getting it on and off while in the car (assuming no one stands in a parking lot while dicking around with their holster and gun)?
I do this when necessary. It not necessarily easy but it can be done.

I should say that I am 5'11" 185 lbs. Fairly small frame.
The CTAC is a great concealment holster. If you can't conceal your gun in a CTAC, then you can't conceal it in any other rig. I assume someone of your size is going to have more trouble with the length of the grip on the fullsize M&P. I am 6' 205 lbs and I can conceal a fullsize USP in a CTAC with shorts and a T-shirt.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
damn you Jester, I had managed to stay away from the M&P store until now. My checking account is severely pissed at you right now. Now I need a front and rear sight, mag holsters, a gun holster, ARRRGGHHH. I wish there was a :banghead: smiley here all of a sudden. I really really want a warren rear with a TFO front. I'm going to call them again today.

The 715 looks good but I'm not sure about the lack of cant adjustment. Do you wear it? I would think that a slight forward cant (muzzle to the rear?) would be more comfortable when sitting. That way the butt wouldn't be pressing against the seat so hard. I am having trouble believing that you guys can't feel a double stack at 4:00 when you sit down. I put my hand there (where the gun would rest) today while i was on the way to work. I think it will not be comfortable but hey what do I know. I haven't even tried it yet. My car seats kind of wrap around too which doesn't help. Is it okay to sell a car because it isn't condusive to IWB carry? I think so! Maybe I'll just modify the car seat... hehe.

Chooch makes me want a c-tac. You didn't say which one you like best. I was looking at the infidel with the standard clips. I do not tuck in my shirts so that doesn't have any bearing on my holster selection. I might keep my NAA 22 mag around for the rare occasion that I dress up.

Thanks a lot for the advice you guys. I appreciate it very much (except for the M&P store link :shakes fist:) Off to check my available balance....

·
Registered
5,726 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Is the only difference between the CTAC and Ghurka/Infidel holster adjustability and the position of the second belt clip (on the holster or on a forward tab) ?

·
Registered
52 Posts
tstrenuous10 said:
for those of you with a ctac i have a question.

I just got mine in the mail. it came with the little wrench and some rubber doughnuts. what are these for?
Are there rubber donuts between the kydex clips and the leather tabs (around the screws)? If not, they go there to make shirt tucking easier.

I assume you mean a small allen wrench. The allen wrench would be used to adjust the holster tension or to turn the screws as necessary.

·
Registered
490 Posts
actually i think i figured it out. I thought they were spacers for wider guns. This holster is made for the glock but I got it a while ago and I thought they went between the two retention screws.

The ones I got are 2 different sizes, one long one short. I was told they are replacements for when they wear out. They are just loose in a bag.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have a Comp-Tac Settable Cant holster. It can interchangably be used as a paddle holster (quick) or a belt holster (more sturdy). I just like the ability to make ths choice on how I carry.

I ordered a CTAC and it was a good holster, but my pants were too tight to fit the holster inside, and it dug into my belly.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Have an M-Tac and it's quite comfortable and conceals well.

Had to cut off part of one clip which was stabbing me in the side when seated.(Bottom of clip went below bottom of leather).

My only problem is re-holstering;with my belt reasonable tight it's hard to find the right spot to re-holster the gun and I'm allergic to self-inflicted GSW's

Result of my weight.

Practice may help

·
Registered
380 Posts
I've been wearing the MTAC for a week and half now. love it.

it's comfortable, especially now that it's starting to form to my shape.

it conceals really well. i can even wear smaller shirts, that i had to avoid with other holsters.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I actually really like my uncle mikes size 36 now. At first it seemed to sit too high and felt like it was going to squeeze the gun out but i cut the stiching and moved the clip higher up on the holster and it fits like a dream now.

I'm currious as to what you mean by not in restaurants until Dec.? What happens in Dec.

·
Registered
380 Posts
The Fish said:
My only problem is re-holstering;with my belt reasonable tight it's hard to find the right spot to re-holster the gun and I'm allergic to self-inflicted GSW's

keep your finger of the trigger when reholstering...

screw it... if it's a little hard to find the spot, thats not a huge problem.

as long as you can DRAW your weapon quickly... youre in good shape.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Am also considering the purchase of an MTAC. Would like to know if that holster's sweat (leather) shield affords comfort against bare skin? Mr. Fish i see you are a Floridian, so i defer to you for a response. It is just too hot here for me to deal with the double shirt thing. I prefer IWB carry for obvious reasons. It is very difficult to hide the print of a gun in light clothing. So those of you that have the MTAC from comp-tac, is it really comfortable at 4:00 position against bare skin?

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
nevrbvictim said:
Am also considering the purchase of an MTAC. Would like to know if that holster's sweat (leather) shield affords comfort against bare skin? Mr. Fish i see you are a Floridian, so i defer to you for a response. It is just too hot here for me to deal with the double shirt thing. I prefer IWB carry for obvious reasons. It is very difficult to hide the print of a gun in light clothing. So those of you that have the MTAC from comp-tac, is it really comfortable at 4:00 position against bare skin?

I don't seem to have a problem with the leather against bare skin.

Keep in mind that I am not outdoors all day so the perspiration issue is not huge.

I just wear it under an untucked (loose) T-shirt.

I also often wear it over a tucked in T-shirt with an open (unbuttoned) over shirt.This is the "dressy" option.Now that we are getting into the "cool" season I'll use this more.

Concealment and comfort in both cases are very good.

My only problem is re-holstering with my belt relatively tight but this is due to my "gut".

I don't use it in competition for that reason.

I traded a C-Tac for this but mainly because of cant position issues although I find the M-Tac more comfortable.

Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts