MP-Pistol Forum banner

need some input on 1911.

5K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  synergy 
My GI RIA 1911 can shoot sub 1" groups at 10 yards....I found it for about $350 new.

Kimbers aren't nesessarilly worth the money. A lot of them go back for work, they all need a break-in, and the customer service isn't that great.

For the money, and the customer service you get...the Springfields tend to be a better value.

IF you don't think the GF would be pissed at you for modifying your "gift" cause it "wasn't good enough" for you, get a mill-spec SA or something, and build it up the way you want it. Be warned though, between slide work for milling for sights, and refinishing the gun after you jig it for a beavertail...you'll spend more money than if you bought the gun that way out of the box.

Either the Taurus, or a Loaded SA would be good guns with good features. The Taurus has a funky "locking" hammer design, and their customer service tends to be bi-polar. SA puts a good gun together, and stands behind it well. I've seen some Taurus's that had some nasty triggers and poor checkering, and some that were fit exceedingly well... take a look at the gun before you take it.

I'd recommend hunting around for a SA loaded model in stainless (as you said you wanted that), and throw a couple bills in on top for it. Where I work has them for $750ish...you should be able to find one close to that, or maybe a little better (though I'd be a little supprised if it were more than $20 better.)

Don't let yourself get too caught up in wanting a Kimber...there are plenty of other 1911's that'll work just fine, with a lot less hassle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.