MP-Pistol Forum banner

need some input on 1911.

5K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  synergy 
#1 ·
My gf is going to buy me a 1911 that i always wanted. Which is Kimber Stainless II for late V-day.

which is cool. but the probrem is that she is planning to spend around $500 bucks (she don't shoot. SO she have no idea what those goes for).

Now i would normaly tell her don't worry about it. and I have. But because she could not get me anything for my birthday, X-mass, our annyversaly, and V-day, she feel bad and insisting that she is gonna get me what i want.

I know she is stretching to spend $500, and i don't have heart to tell her that its not enough money to get what i want(Kinmber stailess II is at ~$1000).

So i figure may be i'll get something thats cheaper and SS, so that she'll be happy that she thinks she bought me something i really want(Without insulting her), and that i can be happy with.

I know charles Daily's Empire EFS is SS and around $599(retail), and Taurus has their new 1911 SS for about $635(retail - if its out- last time i checked, it was not yet available). are they any good?

Is there anyother out there that'll fell in that price range that i donno about thats good?

I can always put another $100 or $200 on top without her knowing too...

See less See more
#4 ·
yeah $1000 is retail. Prolly somewhere in $850~$950 is more on realistic retail.

I want new. but if i find nice used kimber used, that are well taken care of, i might look in to that as well

#5 ·
SPRINGFIELD!

I own a springfield armory 1911 I am from Canada and I spent in the 1200 dollar range with taxes here. But I got the loaded model that is considerably more expensive than the gi or milspec model but I am looking on the net and it looks like you can pick up a mil spec SS model for your type of price range new. I have put some rounds down range with it and found no problems with it and it is deadly accurate. Plus it looks real nice.... If I can figure out how to add pictures I will put one up.

#8 ·
Well, i stopped and looked at Charles Daly. they are out - they are like made in china or somewhere out that way, and have no guiderod.

I need to see if I can find some SW 1911 Mil spec in SS or possibly used Kimber.

I did ask what the Kimber Stainless II goes for as far as shelf price, and guy told me it'll be about $750. So i should see if i can get that little cheaper or look for used one.

I'm also still interested in Taurus 1911 in SS. But noone around here have one not even in Blued finish

#10 ·
this is true. I don't want to get cheapie thats gonna get me no where fast.

Rockisland 1911 is prollu best bang for buck. $300, u'll get correctly dementioned 1911 that is excellent shooter, and are great base for build up.

But i just hate parkarlized finish on their gun...

i'm gonna drive out to Grice's gunshop in clearfield PA(an hour drive
)this weekend to check out their selection.

I wasn't looking at the time, but last time i was there, they had about 2 display case full of 1911's of various manufactures...

why can't someone make 1911's with polished SS frame and slide, match barrel, night sight, wood grip and checkered foregrip section that is made in USA for $400?!

#11 ·
mity2 said:
this is true. I don't want to get cheapie thats gonna get me no where fast.

Rockisland 1911 is prollu best bang for buck. $300, u'll get correctly dementioned 1911 that is excellent shooter, and are great base for build up.

But i just hate parkarlized finish on their gun...

i'm gonna drive out to Grice's gunshop in clearfield PA(an hour drive
)this weekend to check out their selection.

I wasn't looking at the time, but last time i was there, they had about 2 display case full of 1911's of various manufactures...

why can't someone make 1911's with polished SS frame and slide, match barrel, night sight, wood grip and checkered foregrip section that is made in USA for $400?!

Have you ever seen what US labor costs??? You cannot get any kind of quality 1911 for $400.

C4

#13 ·
regal ssp

Hey all, I know I am a little late but I am looking into my first 1911 and am really interested in the Para Ord px745e regal ssp 1911 .45. I can pick it up for just under 700 and was hoping to get some thoughts on this 1911 and Para Ord. as a company. What other 1911's have the features this one has for the same $$$. thanks guys!

Deez//

#14 ·
sa 1911

taurus pt1911

ria 1911

custm Kimber

have all, kimber went back, no rounds fired, did not fire. repaired

taurus - awesome.

sa - awesome

ria - do not like the finish, a little loose in the parts department, (it rattles), but for 300.00 it was what I paid for it...

go with that you like, if I was doing it again, springfield. then taurus,

#15 ·
Well, I was side tracked for a bit, but I guess i'm gonna get 1911 afterall instead of Ruger KMKII like i thought i was going to(see this threadhttp://mp-pistol.com/boards/viewtopic.php?...&highlight=

So i looked at couple of budget 1911's - RIA 1911A1, Springer 1911A1, and Auto Ordnace 1911A1.

they are all similer in price, gun itself, they all have ugry parkarised finish, GI style hammer, tiny iron sight, and are all within $50 of eachother, RIA being cheapest at $389, AO is $419, and SA was $439.

They all comes with pretty much the same - mags and case, AO comes with plastic grip and trigger finger skin peering sharp edged trigger, and I think springer does comes with holster, however.

I do believe AO i saw is post-kahr, not the one made while AO was owned by Numrich(frame says Worcester, MA, not West Hurley, NY). And i know springer i saw said made in brazil, and RIA is made in Phillipine(long time US Ally since the WWII - heck, prolly the buisness end of 1911 held by US supported Philippino guerrila was last thing what many Japanese solder saw during WWII), and i think AO may be still manufactured in US(still looking in to that) other then that, they are pretty much identical.

I think i'm gonna go with Springer. But someone tells me that the AO slide is made from machined bar stock, not a forging...which most, if not all, others are. Now I thought forging is better (in car wheel, forging is always the best), but i guess that not the case here. So can someone explain to me the difference between forging and machined bar stock?

I figure this is going to be good starting 1911. I can build on this slowly - by adding things like commander style hammer, guide rod, better trigger with hole in'em, and plate it(I really want to make my 1911 shinny like chrome plating....)

#16 ·
My GI RIA 1911 can shoot sub 1" groups at 10 yards....I found it for about $350 new.

Kimbers aren't nesessarilly worth the money. A lot of them go back for work, they all need a break-in, and the customer service isn't that great.

For the money, and the customer service you get...the Springfields tend to be a better value.

IF you don't think the GF would be pissed at you for modifying your "gift" cause it "wasn't good enough" for you, get a mill-spec SA or something, and build it up the way you want it. Be warned though, between slide work for milling for sights, and refinishing the gun after you jig it for a beavertail...you'll spend more money than if you bought the gun that way out of the box.

Either the Taurus, or a Loaded SA would be good guns with good features. The Taurus has a funky "locking" hammer design, and their customer service tends to be bi-polar. SA puts a good gun together, and stands behind it well. I've seen some Taurus's that had some nasty triggers and poor checkering, and some that were fit exceedingly well... take a look at the gun before you take it.

I'd recommend hunting around for a SA loaded model in stainless (as you said you wanted that), and throw a couple bills in on top for it. Where I work has them for $750ish...you should be able to find one close to that, or maybe a little better (though I'd be a little supprised if it were more than $20 better.)

Don't let yourself get too caught up in wanting a Kimber...there are plenty of other 1911's that'll work just fine, with a lot less hassle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.