MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, I know this is not a Glock website, but I trust the members of this site and value your thoughts. Anyhow, I was at my local gun shop today and they happened to have a Glock G36 in stock. I played around with it a little bit, and it kinna grew on me. To be honest, it fit my hand really well. I've owned several Glocks in the past, and I never liked the fit of the pistol. However, the G36 was a different story.

I'm really interested in picking one up, but I do have a few concerns that I need some inputs on. If you have any experience with the G36, please chime in. However, please do not "flame" Glock. I know we are all die hard M&P, but I need some valuable input.

1. The G36 is chamber in .45 ACP, but it's about the same size (except slimmer) as the G27. I wonder how bad the recoil is. I was inform that the recoil is "crisp" but very manageable. I have never owned a .45 and all my pistols are chamber in .40. So can someone tell me more about the recoil.

2. It's a Glock. I have never been a huge fan of Glock, but I have been told repeatedly that they are 95% reliable. I would like to know how everyone "feels" about owning a Glock.

3. .45 ACP. Similar to #1 above, do you believe that the .45 ACP is too much for such a small handgun? I have been told by several 1911 owners that the .45 ACP is not bad at all. Many have told me that the short barrel .45 is very manageable.

4. 6+1 rounds. I know this issue has been debated before, but I would like a quick and dirty input.

5. Last question: Would you buy it????

Any "useful" thoughts you may have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

SloMo

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
If it feels comfortable to you all of us cannot sway you. I have shot many .45's and the recoil is managable. Let me be the first to say you are on real thin ice talking about glocks
j/k all firearms are as reliable as the Company Glock is very well known and has a good reputation but Human Error is still Human Error. You stated you have dealt with Glocks b4 if you had positive feedback from more than the firearm itself i.e.(Customer Service, Packaging etc) there are A LOT of things to consider when purchasing a Firearm and our opinion may help but we dont walk with you into the store....IMHO

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Glocks are generally quite reliable. I wouldn't buy it because of its grip angle, and because I'm not a fan of the .45 ballistics in a short barrel. Not crazy about the ergonomics either. YMMV.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
IMO i do not care for glocks. i dont like their looks or the way they feel in my hand. i would much rather have a m&p 9c or 40c. they fit better and feel better in my hand. IMO they look better as well. that being said glocks have a very good track record as far as reliabilty. i rarely hear of an unreliable glock. the main knock is the grip angle or feel. people either love ti or hate it in my experience. as far as the recoil of the .45, it really depends on you. i have no problem with a .45, however a full size or even a commander size 1911 will manage recoil a little better than a poylmer due to the weight. the best advice for you is to hold, dry fire, and possibly shoot the gun. if it fits good in your hand, you like it, and you shoot good with it, go for it. you will have nothing to worry about with the reliablity. plus glocks have several accessories and options out there right now. good luck and show pics of your purchase.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I understand where everyone is coming from, and as I have stated above, I've had my share of Glocks. I agree with everyone about the angle of the grip, but I have to say that Glock did a very good job of reshaping the grip on the G36. The grip is slimmer and the rear of the grip as been reformed. I have to honestly say that I'm impress with the G36.

I'm just really concern about the size. A .45 cal round is nothing to laugh at by itself. Now they are putting it into a "palm size" pistol (I know it doesn't fit inside the palm of your hand...just making a statement).

I really would like the chance to shoot one, but I don't know anyone that owns one. Anyone living in Houston that is willing to lend me theirs? :wink:

·
Registered
308 Posts
I have a G36. It shoots well, groups are tight, recoil is not bad as far as .45's go, not as smooth as the M&P (much smaller, so that's expected), but certainly easy enough to handle. I would not hesitate to trust the gun. Never had a problem with it putting bullets where I wanted them, every time I squeeze the trigger. I am still having some issues with one mag, it is the new style and the slide will not lock back after last round...need to fiddle with it a bit. The 2 originals work fine.

Not sure how to answer your concern on 6+1. Get a pearce +1 and you have 7+1? I have no experience when it comes to needing more rounds, so I can only offer my opinion... Is more better? Probably. Is one enough? Sometimes. Anecdotes are all over the internet...people killed with one round from a .22 Short...People still fighting with many rounds of .45 in them. The funny thing is, there is no predicting it. As they say, shot placement! Sure would hate to need one more and not have it, but 7 shots from a .45 and the BG is still coming? gonna ruin my day...

It is a good gun, but...I don't think I will be keeping mine. Just can't get comfortable with the feel. I think I will be looking at the M&P9c to see what it feels like in my hand, maybe my local shop will give me a good price for the Glock...

My opinion, it will not fail you. Pick the gun you feel most comfortable with. If you are getting it for self defense, your life may depend on it. Not a good time to have doubts...

If you are near Jax FL send me a PM and I can hook you up with shooting it as much as you want..you buy the ammo!

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Ummm... I know someone with a G36 in Houston, but i'd have to honestly think about it for quite sometime. My fiancee has a 19, but that isn't the 36

PGC MIGHT have one to rent if you'd like to try there. I'm going there Friday and I could check you, and if you want to give me your phone #, i'll call and let you know what I see.

ETA: No habla ingles. Mi sorry. Corrected my spelling and what not

·
Registered
308 Posts
slomo said:
I really would like the chance to shoot one, but I don't know anyone that owns one. Anyone living in Houston that is willing to lend me theirs? :wink:

Heh, missed that post...oh well, a few hours drive maybe...

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
tsix:

What are your thoughts on the G36?

·
Registered
308 Posts
My thoughts are that if you can handle the S&W M&P 40C and the Springfield XD Subcompact 40, then you will have no problem with the G36.

Mine is an older model, 2001 time frame, the newer ones may be slightly different. I suspect the G36 is going to feel comparable to the .40, but I have never fired a .40 of any kind, so I can't say for sure. When I do double taps or rapid fire, it takes slightly longer to get back on target than with the M&P 45, but that is a no brainer. I would put recoil in the G36 in the same arena as the old 1911 I had, but I never shot the 2 side by side.

The G36 does not hold resale value as well as the other Glocks, so if you get it and don't like it, expect to take a hit. Buy one slightly used if possible. I paid $350 for mine, it had very few rounds thru it, in fact it looked practically new.

If it feels good in your hand, then I think you will like it. As I said, I will trade mine in eventually, but for now, I trust it 100%. I just have never been happy with the grip.

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
I have experience with the G36.

To keep this short, I will just say this: If you want a Glock of that size, get the G19/G23. It is just as easy to conceal. If you really want the easiest Glock to conceal, get the G26/G27.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yukon:

Sorry for the misunderstanding. What I meant to say is that 95% of all Glocks are 100% reliable. BTW, this number has not been confirmed. This was only a rough number given by a few HPD friend.

I use to own a G27, but I didn't like the grip!!! The G36 is very different from the G27 in grip characteristics.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
IMO...the grip was too fat. Only the tip of my finger would reach the trigger (I have small hands). However, when I grip the G36, I could actually "grip" the gun.

BTW, I have nothing against the G27. It was a great gun, but it just didn't fit me. Although the G36 is a larger caliber pistol, the slimness of the pistol makes it a real contender in my book.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
I have the same problem. As much as I like Glocks, they don't fit my small hands.

The G36 grip is all of 0.05" slimmer than the G27 frame. Although I do find the G36 a little better fitting than the standard Glock, it still doesn't fit right.

My highly biased opinion: :wink:

-If you want to stay with Glock, buy a G19/G23 and have a grip reduction done by Bowie. (Or G26/G27 if you really want a sub-compact)

OR

-Buy a M&P compact 9/.40. I can reach the trigger perfectly with the M&P.

Most of the bugs have been worked out, but the G36 has been the least reliable Glock. Also, as stated above, the G36 can be hard to get rid of when you try to sell it.

If you are set on a G36, find a good deal on a used one.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yukon:

I have done a little research on the G36 (reading articles and listening to shooters at the range). From what I gather, the G36 is a reliable firearm but it's not intended as a rapid fire handgun.

I find it interesting that you said that the G36 is the least reliable of all the Glocks. Would you mind elaborating on that. What "bugs" are you talking about?

I know that the Glock is not pleasing to the eye, and they are infamous for being too "fat," but for some unknown reason, I'm really interested in the G36.

You also stated that the G36 would be really hard to get rid of. Although I have no plan of selling any of my firearms, I'm really interested in why you said that.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
slomo said:
...I have done a little research on the G36 (reading articles and listening to shooters at the range)...
What kind of articles? You are not referring to manufacturer biased magazine articles are you?

Also, those guys at the range should have let you shoot their G36 pistols.

slomo said:
...From what I gather, the G36 is a reliable firearm but it's not intended as a rapid fire handgun...
What kind of firing is the G36 intended for?

slomo said:
...I find it interesting that you said that the G36 is the least reliable of all the Glocks. Would you mind elaborating on that. What "bugs" are you talking about?...
FTF problems

FTE problems

Mag problems

Slide lock problems

slomo said:
...You also stated that the G36 would be really hard to get rid of. Although I have no plan of selling any of my firearms, I'm really interested in why you said that...
I have watched many G36 pistols just sit in the classifieds until the seller had to really drop the price. You need to re-read my post. I did not say it would be hard to get rid of. I said it can be hard to get rid of. Sometimes a seller can find a person wanting a G36; in those cases you can get a fair price. It's just not as common.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Slomo, I just read in your signature that you have a M&P compact and a XD compact.

Do you not like to carry either of those?

Are you looking for a range gun or a carry gun?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the Glock 36 and after firing my M&P .40 Compact, I found the recoil to be about the same. Both are extremely accurate. Only you can answer which weapon is right for you.

Good luck either way and enjoy!

Will

1 - 20 of 25 Posts