MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
So would this mean I could get my permit and not have to qualify for more? I'm two sided about this. Don't want someone to qualify with a M&P 9 and carry a S&W 500 or something foolish like that. But it would be nice to be able to buy a gun and not have to qualify with it.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's the issue, if you buy a new gun and you want to be able to carry it concealed, you have to go qualify with it and then take the paper work to the fingerprint bureau so that they can issue you a new CFP. On top of that, you have to pay $25. In Las Vegas, it will cost you $20 to qualify for one handgun, bringing the total to $45. Now take into account that some gun owners have more than one weapon they would like to carry. So you can see how "dumb" that law is.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
I think the requirement for having a specific firearm tied to a carry permit is an old one. Some old ideas are good ones (the good ones often start with.. Thou Shall Not...), a lot of other old ideas are stupid and I'd say thought up by the brain dead but that wouldn't be possible .. thought.. brain dead ...

·
Registered
573 Posts
The Second Amendment doesn't specify what gun is allowed and which is not! I can't believe some of these States stupid requirements. I am thankful I live in Arizona where the permit is only for the person and not the gun. I can carry anything from a .22 to a S&W 500 if I chose. "Qualifying" a specific gun for a fee is just another way of infringing on your right to carry.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Report Names Nevada Most Crime-Ridden State In U.S.

March 23, 2007 2:36 p.m. EST

Julie Farby - All Headline News Staff Writer

New York, NY (AHN) - For the fourth consecutive year, Nevada has earned the dubious honor of being named the most dangerous state in America. In its annual survey, Morgan Quitno Press, an independent Kansas-based researcher, named Nevada the top state in the U.S. when it comes to crime.

For the 2006 rankings, Morgan Quitno Press examined crime rates from the previous year, 2005, in several categories, including murder, rape, robbery, assault, burglary and auto theft, and then compared those rates to the national average.

The statistics, which take into account a host of factors, finds Nevada's murder rate to be 8.56 for every 100,000 people, compared to the national average in that category, which is 5.6.

Although the report does not delve into the reasons behind the elevated numbers, it also finds the statistics for rape, robberies, assault, burglaries and auto theft in Nevada far above the national average. However, Washington, D.C. was not included in the survey.

In the report, Scott Morgan, president of Morgan Quitno Press, says, "The story for Nevada remains the same as in previous years. As a rapidly growing state, it struggles with crime and other problems. It has some of the highest murder, robbery and motor vehicle theft rates in the country."

According to the report, following Nevada as the most dangerous state are Southwestern neighbors New Mexico and Arizona, which ranked as second and third most dangerous states across the country, respectively. Maryland and Tennessee followed on the most dangerous states list, while on the other side of the spectrum, North Dakota received the safest state honors for the 10th time in the last 14 years.

Copyright © AHN Media Corp - All rights reserved.

Redistribution, republication. syndication, rewriting or broadcast is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of AHN.

Another reason why Nevada should make laws for law abiding citizens instead of criminals.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SB237 - Reciprocity Bill

SB237: Well it has been amended and we got almost everything we wanted so far. We will not have to qualify with every revolver but we still have to with semi-auto pistols. Resident & Non-resident permits will be 5 years. Now they are going to make a list of states (last I heard it was a total of 15 states) that Nevada will accept their CCW. If you have a CCW from a state that will have reciprocity with Nevada, and your state does not require you to qualify with every make, model, caliber pistol that you are going to carry, then you can carry whatever you want here (of course abiding by the CCW laws of your state). This bill is going to the full assembly now, then the governor's desk but it passed the biggest obstacle which was Senator Anderson. I just wish we didn't have to qualify with the semi-auto pistols we want to carry since it costs $20 (in Las Vegas) to qualify with each firearm and then $25 more to update our CFP.

SB95 has also been approved and is at the governor's desk. This is our Katrina type bill which will prohibit confiscation of our weapons during a state of emergency.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: SB237 - Reciprocity Bill

crazypilot said:
SB237: Well it has been amended and we got almost everything we wanted so far. We will not have to qualify with every revolver but we still have to with semi-auto pistols. Resident & Non-resident permits will be 5 years. Now they are going to make a list of states (last I heard it was a total of 15 states) that Nevada will accept their CCW. If you have a CCW from a state that will have reciprocity with Nevada, and your state does not require you to qualify with every make, model, caliber pistol that you are going to carry, then you can carry whatever you want here (of course abiding by the CCW laws of your state). This bill is going to the full assembly now, then the governor's desk but it passed the biggest obstacle which was Senator Anderson. I just wish we didn't have to qualify with the semi-auto pistols we want to carry since it costs $20 (in Las Vegas) to qualify with each firearm and then $25 more to update our CFP.

SB95 has also been approved and is at the governor's desk. This is our Katrina type bill which will prohibit confiscation of our weapons during a state of emergency.

Well SB 237 is off to the governor's desk but no word yet on the state reciprocity list. Can't wait to see.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well folks, I've been hearing rumors that no reciprocity list will be available Oct 1 and that qualifying with any revolver after Oct 1 will not be listed as revolver in your CFP. The anti's in NV are trying to stretch it out at least 2 yrs before listing any reciprocity and enforcing SB237. Again, I heard other people mentioning this and have yet to find hard evidence so well see what comes along Oct 1. I'll post whatever I find.

·
Registered
175 Posts
8 states' concealed gun permits valid here

The following article lists the states: http://news.rgj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?...NEWS18/70927004

Reno Gazett-Journal

Beginning Oct. 1, the state of Nevada will recognize permits from eight other states that allow people to carry concealed weapons, the Nevada Department of Public Safety announced.

Those states are Alaska, Arkansas, Kansas, Louisiana, Missouri, Nebraska, Tennessee and Utah.

The 2007 Nevada Legislature passed a law that allowed concealed carry permits from other states to be used in Nevada. The Department of Public Safety, with the help of the Nevada Sheriffs and Chiefs Association, reviewed the laws from other states. It found 16 other states that had an electronic database accessible 24 hours a day that identifies valid permit holders. Of those 16, only eight had concealed carry permit laws that were as stringent or more stringent than Nevada, the Department of Public Safety said.

It will review the list of approved states every year, the Department of Public Safety said.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was just about to post that, thanks. Here's another link http://www.nevadacarry.com.

Written by Administrator

Thursday, 27 September 2007

I just watched the nightly news and they said these are the states they will be accepting.

8 Total:

Alaska

Arkansas

Kansas

Louisiana

Missouri

Nebraska

Tennessee

Utah

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'd still like to see something released by a NV LE agency, though. Just to be on the safe side as you know how it goes with the media.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Official Release

http://www.nvrepository.state.nv.us/Special/CCW_CHANGE.shtml

Out of State Carry Concealed Weapon Permit Recognition

Effective Oct 1, 2007

In accordance with Senate Bill 237 passed by the 2007 Nevada Legislature the State of Nevada will recognize the following States' CCW permit holders:

Alaska

Arkansas

Kansas

Louisiana

Missouri

Nebraska

Tennessee

Utah

This law allows holders of valid permits from these states to carry a concealed weapon while in the State of Nevada. The permit must be in the possession of the issuee at all times while carrying a firearm.

Department of Public Safety

Records and Technology Division

808 W. Nye Lane

Carson City, NV 89703

(775)684-6262

1 - 19 of 19 Posts