MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my M&p 9mm for about 7 months now and about 1600 rounds of mixed manufactures ammo. Loved the pistol till around 1000 round mark, then started having FTE problems. Seems to happen once after 40 or 50 rounds and again after 40 or 50 more. No Im not limp wristing, :roll: no its not allways with White box ammo :roll: . Sent it back to Smith, they had it 3 weeks. Polished the barrel and ramp, replaced extractor claw. They shot it and said no more problem.
Took it to the range today around 40 rounds later....FTE!
When I lock the slide back and remove the spent case it doesent seem like its tight or stuck, gun just doesnt want to pull that sucker out! Anyone have any ideas? I'v shot reloads, W/W box Remingtons, same problem. Really liked this gun but Im thinking on trading for another G.... Never had any problems with those.
Let me know if you have any ideas. Thanks!

·
Registered
573 Posts
I had 2 FTE's soon after I bought my M&P9. The empty case was left in the barrel and a new round would get jammed into the back of the empty case. The only thing I did was clean behind the extractor claw with a dental pick...there was a LOT of carbon built up there. Do that every time I clean it now and I have never had another failure.

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
I did that also, with the same results.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have always brushed the chamber, and cleaned all the carbon from the ramp and slide area after firing. (usually 3 to 4 hundred rounds each outing) Thoroughly clean the piece around a thousand rounds. No problems of any kind. Great Pistol!

·
Registered
119 Posts
After a fresh and thorough cleaning (including the extractor claw) I brought my M&P to the range today and after 100 rounds of WWB I tried my first box of Wolf through my 40. Within the first mag, 15 rounds I had a FTE and the casing was stuck inside the chamber. I could not remove it by hand and had to assemble my cleaning rod to force it out from the muzzle. I finished the box of Wolf with no more problems and put a box of Federal through it with no problems.

This is my duty pistol and with just over 800 rounds through it I have become a little worried about another FTE. Can anybody ease my mind? We do not have an armorer and I don't want to send it back to Smith...hopefully it was just one bad casing.

On a side not, I bought an old NYC S&W model 10 today.

·
Registered
119 Posts
After a fresh and thorough cleaning (including the extractor claw) I brought my M&P to the range today and after 100 rounds of WWB I tried my first box of Wolf through my 40. Within the first mag, 15 rounds I had a FTE and the casing was stuck inside the chamber. I could not remove it by hand and had to assemble my cleaning rod to force it out from the muzzle. I finished the box of Wolf with no more problems and put a box of Federal through it with no problems.

This is my duty pistol and with just over 800 rounds through it I have become a little worried about another FTE. Can anybody ease my mind? We do not have an armorer and I don't want to send it back to Smith...hopefully it was just one bad casing.

On a side not, I bought an old NYPD S&W model 10 revolver today

·
Registered
573 Posts
Did you happen to save the empty case and compare it to another cartridge? It sounds like it could be the ammo. I would just suggest that you buy a couple of hundred rounds of a good quality ammo and give it another try. If it happens again, be sure you save the empty and maybe try and take a photo of the malfunction. I had 2 similar failures early on with WWB, but that was a couple of 1000 rounds ago with no further failures.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
moxie1c said:
I could not remove it by hand and had to assemble my cleaning rod to force it out from the muzzle. I finished the box of Wolf with no more problems and put a box of Federal through it with no problems.

Ok... so somewhere between 70 and 100 rounds depending on what the federal was. Of them, all but on extracted. That ONE needed to be shoved out form the muzzle end with a tool.

I would DEEPLY suspect that there was something very wrong with that round rather than the gun. I mean the chamber diameter didn't slip and shrink a little for one shot :wink:

·
Registered
119 Posts
I compared the cases to the other Wolfs and did not notice a difference. If I had a pair of calipers I would have taken it home to measure it out. I just finished looking the pistol over tonight and I hand-cycled two mags through and everything looked fine.

Fortunatly, I have a discering difference between the ammo to carry on duty and the stuff I am willing to shoot at the range.

Thanks for the support and answers, this forum is great.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts