MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received my 2.0 45C & took it out for a quick range session. Using S&W mags, I shot 10 rounds of Critical Defense & after the last shot, the slide did not lock back. Tried the other S&W mag with my practice reloads & had the same problem with the slide. I shot about 50 rounds that day & the slide never locked back.

I noticed when I first got the pistol & working it at home, that the slide was hard to rack open. I had it open & engaged the slide lock. I tried pressing the release with my thumb in my shooting grip & I couldn't budge it. I had to use both thumbs pressing very hard to get it to release (this was the left side release)

Has anyone else had a new pistol do this? It's a first for me.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Unless something has changed in the 2.0, It's not really a release, just a lock. Best to just grab slide and slingshot it. As far as the slide not locking back, did you clean and lube it before your range session? Did you read the manual ? Recoil assembly and magazine followers and slide catch are top of the list to check when you dont have LRHO. Try some more different ammo too.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have a M&P45 2.0 Compact, and have never had it do what you described.

I normally shoot either SIG or Fiocchi 230gr FMJs for training and Federal 230gr standard HSTs.

The pistol has yet to have a malfunction of any kind.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I have a M&P45 2.0 Compact, and have never had it do what you described.

I normally shoot either SIG or Fiocchi 230gr FMJs for training and Federal 230gr standard HSTs.

The pistol has yet to have a malfunction of any kind.
Same here. When I saw "tight" I figured I was going to read about a really nice shooting new pistol, which mine seems to be. So far, my 2.0 .45 Compact is the tightest shooting M&P I have.

And, the slide stop thing. When I got my 2.0 5" 9MM it was the same way. After a few months a few hundred rounds I noticed I instinctively hit the slide release on the left side like I do my CZ/FN/XD pistols and the slide release drops easily to release the slide. Things just have to wear in sometimes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Same here. When I saw "tight" I figured I was going to read about a really nice shooting new pistol, which mine seems to be. So far, my 2.0 .45 Compact is the tightest shooting M&P I have.

And, the slide stop thing. When I got my 2.0 5" 9MM it was the same way. After a few months a few hundred rounds I noticed I instinctively hit the slide release on the left side like I do my CZ/FN/XD pistols and the slide release drops easily to release the slide. Things just have to wear in sometimes.
That was my next step, put about 500 rounds through it & see how it does.

CitizenX, yes I did clean & lube it before firing. Interesting that it's a lock, not a release. Seems odd that it couldn't be used to release the slide as a 1911 does.

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I liked the way the 1.0's would drop the slide and chamber a round when I smacked the magazine into the pistol. Some people didn't like that.

Maybe S&W got enough complaints they "fixed" the problem on the 2.0s???

·
Registered
296 Posts

My 45 2.0 Compact is my only M&P, but I have been impressed with its accuracy.

When I first got it I did some shooting at around 40 yards with it, and it was dead-on. We were shooting at a 12" wide piece of "bullet-proof glass" - actually more like 1.5" thick Polycarbonate - at about 40 yards. One of the guys put a 5.56 round through the center. I put one 230gr FMJ on the right, then another on the left - and it snapped it in half. I was surprised it hit right on and also surprised it broke the piece so easily.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just received my 2.0 45C & took it out for a quick range session. Using S&W mags, I shot 10 rounds of Critical Defense & after the last shot, the slide did not lock back. Tried the other S&W mag with my practice reloads & had the same problem with the slide. I shot about 50 rounds that day & the slide never locked back.

I noticed when I first got the pistol & working it at home, that the slide was hard to rack open. I had it open & engaged the slide lock. I tried pressing the release with my thumb in my shooting grip & I couldn't budge it. I had to use both thumbs pressing very hard to get it to release (this was the left side release)

Has anyone else had a new pistol do this? It's a first for me.
I purchased a 2.0C 45 just prior to the COVID19 situation and encountered the exact same problem with the slide stop/release. I could not depress the slide release with my thumb as I have always done for over 40 years of carrying a handgun. I had to resort to pulling the slide back and allowing it to seat the round that way.
I have a 2.0C in 9mm and had no issue with that slide release at all.
I was only able to get 200 rounds through the pistol before my States ranges were closed down (NJ). Once the ranges open I will see if it breaks in and the release allows me to use either of my thumbs to chamber the round.
I will say the pistol is very accurate.
I was planning on carrying the pistol once I broke it in but unless the slide release allows me to use either thumb I will not carry it.

Highlander0321

·
Registered
296 Posts
I don't think it's ever going to work well as a slide release, especially with the recoil spring tension of the .45. It's not very big, and isn't that easy to manipulate.

I just pull the slide back. Some people will tell you that's the only way you should chamber the first round, maybe...maybe not...but it works the best for me and my M&P45.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts