MP-Pistol Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like the S&W Shield. I used to have 2, but sold them off when I switched to my HK P2000 as my carry gun many years back.... But, I missed the gun, and got another about 18 months ago...

Several months back, I wanted to buy the 4" Shield, but everyone has been out of stock for quite some time. I didn't know why, until I saw the new, Shield Plus. Then, I figured that they shifted production to make the new guns. That's why I couldn't fine one of these for many months...

Well, in the last couple of weeks, the 4" Performance Center Shield started to pop up on different websites again. So, I finally managed to get 1...

Figures, my indoor range is closed for the entire 4th weekend, unfortunately. So, I'll have to wait until next week to try it out:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ooooh, I am so envious, Shipwreck! That is so cool. I didn't even realize they made a 4" version. We are definitely going to need a range report soon!
I've been hoping that, as folks switch over to the Shield Plus, I might be able to find a screamin' good deal on a "regular" Shield, but no luck so far.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I finally got to go shoot the 4" Shield today. And, I like it. But, it started as a weird trip at first... Let me explain...

However, let me go back a few weeks first... I bought a 9mm Glock 45 recently, because I like my Glock 19 so much. I did 2 range trips with the G45, and sold it a couple of weeks ago. I have smaller hands... And, I had to work WAY too hard to shoot well with it. A carry gun - you grab and go with it. I don't want a carry gun (the G45) that I have to change my grip just a little bit (because the hump on the back is at a different spot than the G19), and totally change what part of the trigger finger I use on the trigger...

Anyway - back to the Shield. I used the $$ from the G45 to buy this 4" Shield... And, at first - I was shooting way left today with the Perf Center Shield (right elevation, though). After several mags, I was really starting to think the sights were off, causing me to shoot left. Then, I adjusted my grip and trigger finger, and shot centered, but low...

Then, I was starting to think - damn, I'll be putting this gun up for sale when I get home. I have a pattern of not always shooting single stack polymer guns that well. They are almost TOO thin for me... And, I have owned a LOT of guns over the years. A LOT. So, I know if something is going to work for me or not...

I put the Shield on the side, and I grabbed my Glock 19 I was carrying. I shot 15 rounds (1 mag) thru the Glock 19. It shot great. Then, I figured I'd put 1 or 2 more mags thru this new Shield, and go home and list it for sale. Well, strangely enough - the next magazine I shot, I shot fantastic with it.

The Shield was like a totally different gun after the first 90 rounds or so... I was shooting tight groups, and all centered. I originally only planned to put about 100 rounds thru it, but I shot 205 thru the Shield today - including 20 JHP rounds (at the end). Gun shot very well.

I can't explain why I had so much trouble with it at first - other than I was just getting used to it. After that 1st 90 rounds, it shot fantastic.

I did notice that I need to use the 8 round mags instead of the shorter 7 rounders to not shoot left. I have small hands, but that slightly longer mag seems to work best. I tend to shoot to the left with the smaller mags for whatever reason.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm glad you didn't give up on your new Shield, Shipwreck. That would have been a bummer if you had to get rid of it.
It sounds like you have figured out exactly what works for you. It would never have occurred to me that the mags would have made that much of a difference. I guess that extra length helps.
Appreciate the followup report.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts