MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my new piece after the 3 day wait. Took it apart and cleaned it, per owners manual. I used q-tips and to my surprise I wiped off quite a bit of grime. I am a perfectionist, please excuse my anal-ness. I peered into the barrel looking at the kitchen chandelier on the other end, and the inside was more debris. Well after an hour or so with some WD-40 and a fresh lubrication of Break free clp, All clean. A clean gun is a happy gun.
Practiced some dry fire, and general safe practice with my gf who is intimidated by it. 10th round IS a lady to get in, thumbs are already killing me. Going to the range tomorrow with my g/f to show her what its for. I am now an armed citizen! 8)

·
Registered
280 Posts
Congratulations on your new roscoe. Don't let that fact get to your head - the responsibility is something most sheeple are not capable of understanding.

For the record, I've fired well over 600 rounds through my M&P9c between cleanings - and with hardly any lube - at one point or another, and it's still gone bang and cycled every time. Only once it didn't completely go into battery; a quick dab of oil cured its dryness and a light tap on the rear of the slide sent her home. She went bang every time again. No failures to feed, fire, extract, or eject
I'm positive that this lil' pistol can do what I need her to do every time.

May you never need to fire a round in defense.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Onuma said:
For the record, I've fired well over 600 rounds through my M&P9c between cleanings - and with hardly any lube - at one point or another, and it's still gone bang and cycled every time.

M&P9 passes 2,000 Round Challenge ... no cleaning or lubricating, no stoppages, no breakages in 2,000 rounds over two days.

In 10,000 rounds fired through my M&P so far, I've cleaned it a total of three times:
  • 550 rounds, to set the gun up for the 2,000 Round Challenge
  • 3,102 rounds, to have the gun clean for the IDPA Nationals
  • 5,822 rounds, after multiple rounds of Independence Ammo started disintegrating in the bore

• I'll probably break down and do it again today, as it's been almost 4,500 rounds since the last time. Except during the 2,000 Round Challenge, I do usually put lube on the gun every 2-3 trips to the range.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Gamisou said:
Just picked up my new piece after the 3 day wait. Took it apart and cleaned it, per owners manual. I used q-tips and to my surprise I wiped off quite a bit of grime. I am a perfectionist, please excuse my anal-ness. I peered into the barrel looking at the kitchen chandelier on the other end, and the inside was more debris. Well after an hour or so with some WD-40 and a fresh lubrication of Break free clp, All clean. A clean gun is a happy gun.
Practiced some dry fire, and general safe practice with my gf who is intimidated by it. 10th round IS a lady to get in, thumbs are already killing me. Going to the range tomorrow with my g/f to show her what its for. I am now an armed citizen! 8)

When you cleaned the pistol right after you bought it, did the grime you wiped off the piece have a rusty-brown tinge to it? If that was the case, I think that it was there intentionally. I believe it is a corrosion inhibitor applied by the S&W factory to keep their products from rusting while they sit in warehouses or dealers' shelves, waiting to be sold. As for the debris in the barrel, all M&Ps are test-fired at the factory, and a spent casing included with the weapon for registration in jurisdictions which require that sort of thing. I don't think they clean it after the firing, though it likely isn't more than a few rounds (if its even more than the one required to get the casing).

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gamisou said:

5th line down, 12th 13th and 14th word over Bill

·
Registered
434 Posts
clean,lube... but nothing touches my bore :wink:

·
Registered
280 Posts
z71bill said:
I am a perfectionist and WD-40 and gun? - does not add up.

Get some BreakFree CLP or REM oil -

I really wouldn't sweat it. CLP works as one of the very best, IMHO, but WD-40 is not damaging in any way. Whatever works, y'know?

·
Registered
167 Posts
My firearms instructor adamantly said that WD-40 was a terrible choice for use on a gun. Its just a general purpose lube and runs sloppy all over.

I am not a perfectionist by any means, i just CLP on my pistol. Its cheap, the can lasts forever.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I totally agree about CLP. The military spent millions of dollars developing and testing the best possible oils they could find, and CLP & LSA are the two victors of those tests.

Why not exploit all that R&D money the military decided to toss into so many weapons platforms?

I'm just saying, WD-40 will do the trick as a cleaning agent, but is not as good for a lube. However, it isn't going to damage a thing - not in my or any of my friends' or fellow soldiers' experience.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts