MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new 442 groups six inches to the right at fifty feet. Anyone else have a point of impact issue? If I do send it back, what can S&W do to correct this???

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have no idea what your experience level is so don`t get insulted by my comments. I have to assume you have not shot revolvers much because I know no different.

Shooting right with a small, light revolver is not unusual. Try having others shooting it at closer ranges and shooting it off a rest. Do your best to remove the shooter from the shots. If it still is shooting off that far then return it to S&W and I`m sure they will correct it.

I do not believe there is any handgun harder to shoot accurately at longer ranges than a snubby revolver in double action, but it can be done.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No insult at all. I appreciate the input. I would rather it be me than the gun. I own a model 60, and a model 10. Both have lighter pulls double action than the 442. I can shoot them accurately, and with confidence. But I'll try the 442 again before I call S&W.

At the range, I shot three, five round groups offhand and reeled in the target. Wow! that's off... So, a fresh paper, and a chair and a sand bag under my wrist. I slowly pulled the trigger to the last notch before she would let off.....(the owner's manual says not to do this) and the same result.

I am going to go back and concentrate on my shooting, and bring a friend who can shoot for his opinion.

·
Registered
61 Posts
my 642 shoots right

I have 3 J fames at this time. My wifes is dead on at 7 yds with the 158 lead SWC. Mine shoots a nice tight group about 3 to 4 inches to the right at 7 yards. I have shot a five shot group with my wife gun that you could cover with a silver dollor at 7 yards. My gun does not group this tight with the same ammo. I have a third 642 unfired. I can not make up my mind if I should send the 642 back for adjustment. Opinions please. If I were still in law enforcement I would send the gun back because there is no way I think I could quaify with my gun.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Different guns even of the same model may not react the same with the same loading. Shoot it from a rested grip carefully with several loads and if you confirm it is the gun by all means return it. You must have confidence in the gun especially if you are going to carry it. You can`t be thinking " I have to shoot 3 inches left to hit" in a combat situation. It will kill you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts