MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading some of doc's thoughts on 223/5.56 ammo I found by doing a google search, he was talking about a new round being developed by the military that will be far better than the 223/5.56.
Any one heard of this? does this mean I am going to have to spend more money in the near future

·
Site Staff
9,613 Posts
There's been a lot of rumors, mostly around the 6.8 SPC round, but there are a lot of people saying that the military has no intention of changing calibers, especially since the 5.56 is the official NATO round, it's not likely they would depart from that with the exception of a few special units, for example some of the units using the 1911's in 45 ACP in place of the M9 in 9mm which is the standard issue.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
While .45 isn't as "common" as 9mm, it is still a standard type-classified item in military channels.

There is no 6.8, 6.5, or other oddball caliber for rifle ammunition which has been type-classified. The process to do so normally takes between one and two years.

I remember when the 6.8 first came about and a certain military unit was pushing all the manufacturers to build guns in that caliber because they "knew" it was going to replace the 5.56mm, at least in SOCOM.

Well, SOCOM is in the process of fielding new rifles to replace some of their M4s (the FN SCAR and the HK 416) and they're both 5.56mm rifles ...

6.8 might be the greatest thing to ever happen to a combat rifle, but it's not going to be in any sort of widespread military use in the next ten years.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts