MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Less than a week ago, I contacted Rich from Custom Carry Concepts (mp-pistol.com member luvmy40) about the possibility of making a custom kydex holster for my M&P9.

My design goals were based on the old Mad Dog IWB, the original kydex IWB holster. The Mad Dog was made from one sheet of kydex, which made up both the holster body as well as the solid belt loop. In addition, I wanted a shirt guard (something the Mad Dogs didn't have). Here is a pic of the original Mad Dog (for a G19/23):

The biggest benefit to the old Mad Dog design was durability. While kydex clips have become all the rage, I've seen far too many of them break and I just don't consider them suitable from a weapons retention standpoint. The Mad Dog didn't use a clip but instead a solid belt loop which was part of the same continuous sheet of kydex. There are no joints or "welds" to form a weak spot.

The major change I wanted to make was a shirt guard, which the Mad Dog lacked. Rich also included retention screws; I know the original Mad Dogs could sometimes be too loose or too tight so this alleviates that worry.

The day after I sent Rich some pics and my design request, he had the holster made and pictures of it in my mailbox. The other side of a 3-day weekend later, the holster was in my hands and on my belt.

My initial impressions are very positive. The holster is well made, and the finishing work on the edges is well done. I haven't had it to the range yet, but it's been comfortable wearing around the house and while driving. Dry-fire draws have been dead on and very fast, as you'd expect from a kydex rig. I am used to a little more cant, but the CCC design is working for me both from a functionality and concealability standpoint.

Here are some pics of the holster, along with obligatory silly props:

·
Registered
291 Posts
Looks good Todd but the darn thing is made backwards.

I too have been using a new CCW holster and will give a report on it after I make a 1000 mile road trip over the holiday. Vehicle comfort is important in a CCW holster.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Unless I'm missing something, it's correct. It's an IWB for right hand shooter.

That's the kind of work we like to see. I guess the reasoning behind the two piece clamshell type stuff is that it's easier and cheaper to make.

That belt loop opening looks like it's kind of wide, what thickness belt will it accomodate?

By chance, could he make a version that has just enough clearance on the fold to slip over the pants then just a "j" clip that is just long enough to hook the belt? Not a true tuckable, but can be somewhat or just to lower the "thickness" of the rig.

Mark

·
Registered
291 Posts
Yes it is an IWB. I just prefer an OWB so it is backwards. Even the sweat guard is on the wrong side! Just kidding. Looks like a very quality piece.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mark -- you'd have to contact him directly to see what else he can do. The thickness of the whole holster is the thickness of the gun plus maybe half an inch. Not a problem with my normal mode(s) of dress. I hate tuckables.

Holster is for a 1.5" belt.

I shot 600 rounds using the holster today as well as about two hours of driving. I'm very happy with it. Transition from my Kramer IWB #3 required zero effort. It's flexible enough on the belt that it stays comfortable as I move or change position (even with the tight bucket seats of my car), but stable enough that the grip was always where it was supposed to be when I drew the gun.

My only complaint -- and I don't think there is anything any kydex holster maker can do to fix this -- is that when the gun gets hot, the holster gets hot. Kydex apparently conducts heat much, much more efficiently than leather. Owie.

The CCC is definitely my new everyday carry holster (and IDPA holster, and IPSC holster, etc.).

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
TODD;

Am I seeing the photos correctly?

The belt has to be threaded thru the loop rather than slipping over the belt?

·
Registered
13 Posts
The Fish said:
TODD;

Am I seeing the photos correctly?

The belt has to be threaded thru the loop rather than slipping over the belt?

Correct, I think it is more secure that way, less prone to shifting.

Todd, I guess this will be added to the holster sticky?

Mark

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fish -- exactly. It takes an extra 15 seconds to put it on or take it off, but it's substantially tougher. I'd rather put up with the minor inconvenience than have a holster that can snap off in a wrestling match.

mark -- added it to the holster sticky; thanks!

·
Registered
445 Posts
ToddG

nice job on the holster redesign. I too like a solid loop not clips on my holsters. It is wrong sided though-- I'm left handed.

Odd I was looking at my old mad dog holster yesterday.

·
Registered
434 Posts
todd i wonder how awfully painful that is if worn for long period?

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Joe -- shoot luvmy40 a PM, I'm sure he can hook you up. Or loop you up, as the case may be. And it really isn't my design, I just had an idea and luvmy40 turned it into reality.

loloy -- I'm assuming you meant the holster and not the knife.
Well, I've worn it for a day at a time for two days now, no complaints. It's very thin, has a small footprint, and there is just enough freedom of movement (thanks to the single belt loop) that it can position itself more comfortably as I sit, stand, etc.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've worn a Crossbreed IWB holster with my 1911 before I bought my M&P. I will buy another IWB for the M&P.

I carry almost religiously with the IWB, and I have no problems with comfort. You have to wear it correctly on your hip or it can be uncomfortable while driving or sitting.

If interested I believe Crossbreed is made in Republic MO.

They are leather on the inside and Kydex on the outside, and they are completely tuckable also. I don't know if they have a website though. Very nice holster.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I PM'd Rick and hopefully he can make me one. Actually I might need one for my full size and one for my compact (when I get one)

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
m4arc said:
Actually I might need one for my full size and one for my compact (when I get one)

m4arc -- Yes, with the announcement that CTC is going to be making Lasergrips for the Compact within the next six months ("Spring '08" they're estimating) I believe the M&P9c is in my future ...

·
Registered
692 Posts
m4arc,

As much as I'd like to sell you 2 holsters, I really must tell you that the M&Pc will ride perfectly in the full size holster. Unless you really want to get rid of the extra 1/2" in length, there is no need for 2 holsters.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
luvmy40 said:
m4arc,

As much as I'd like to sell you 2 holsters, I really must tell you that the M&Pc will ride perfectly in the full size holster. Unless you really want to get rid of the extra 1/2" in length, there is no need for 2 holsters.

Rick I certainly appreciate that

PM heading your way.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
FWIW, here are the before & after shots from my dremel adventure. The holster doesn't look nearly as nicely finished as it did straight from Rick and CCC, but now the shirt guard is a better size for my particular tastes.

Before:

After (material removed from shirt guard where it met the backstrap and rear of slide):

·
Registered
692 Posts
ToddG,

The Dremel polishing puffs work very well for cleaning up the edges of the Kydex. Home Depot and Wally World both carry them. The medium grit can actually do a good bit of shaping and the fine polishes very nicely.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts