MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my gf has been shooting my Ruger 22/45 with scope for sometime now. She does decent with it(she look really funny shooting it tho. She is 4-11, 95lb sokin wet. 22/45 with scope look HUGE on her)

She now tells me that she thinks she is ready to move up to bigger gun.

SHe shot my M&P, and feels that although it fits her hand better, it kicks little more then she likes. When she shot my Beretta 92F/S, she thought its kick was manageble, but grip was too wide for her hand. With that said, I think i wanna look for 9mm with metal frame for better control..

She looked at S&W 908S, and thought was nice little gun(Fits her hand better due to single stack mag design), but said that its an ugry looking gun(LOL)

I'm trying to find if any local dealer has S&W 3913L (commonly known as Lady's smith), so that she can look at it, but noone in 100miles redious has one. I'm thinking may be Beretta 84F/S Cheetah, but i don't really wants her to go with 380Auto...

what do u guys recommend? I'm sure there are plenty of you with your wife or lady friend shoots 9mm...

·
Registered
51 Posts
My wife seems to really like the .45 caliber more than most others she has shot. it's a big round but has a really nice recoil that doesn't bother her. She didn't like the 9mm and said it kicked too hard...but that was with a gun that didn't fit her AT ALL!! all the recoil was going into her thumb, grip was too large and she had to rotate the gun around to reach the trigger. So no wonder she had issues there. She has not got a chance to fire my M&P9c yet, I'll let you know how that goes when she does. But honestly the fit of the gun will be very key for her to enjoy it. If it fits right and she can reach the trigger that'll help alot, caliber won't be as significant at that point I don't think. I'd look at 9mm and .45 mostly and see what she likes. Certainly try a .40 she might like it, but it does feel more "snappy" to most people. If she doesn't mind a revolver I'd see what she thinks about a good .38.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
My wife is quite petite as well. I started her with a .22, then .380, then 9mm. Like you, I wasn't crazy about her settling on the .380 as the minimum for SD for me is 9mm. She didn't like the .380 blowback recoil anyway. I helped her with her technique so that she could shoot with success. I gave her a ton of encouragement about how well she shot and I think for her there was a sense of pride in shooting it well. Now she loves shooting 9mm. She has shot .40s and .45s, but prefers 9mm. Good enough for me. Her favorite fullsize 9mms are the M&P and USP, preferring the USP a little more than the M&P. YMMV.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She doesn't even want to try my 45ACP (SA 1911's, and Para 1911's). She feels that she is not ready - Which is a good thing, as i seen many guys who is not ready for 45 starts out with 45, and can't shoot for worth a turky, and tell people that 1911 is only good for hammering nails. at lest she is not going over her head.

I didn't think about 38 revolver. I'm picking up my S&W model 65 here shortly. Althought its K frame and chambered for 357mag, I can let her try with 38special and see how she like it, since it has smaller rounded grip

She is not planning to carry this - its something for her to shoot when we are out on range. Most she'll ever use would be the bed side gun as i do work night shift time to time, and our Pug is not really a dependable guard dog...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Also...tell her to browse this site sometime if she's up for it:

http://www.corneredcat.com/

Female gun site with tons of great information for anyone not just the ladies. I told my wife about it and she started reading up on guns and stuff all by herself. Seemed more open to it coming from another woman's perspective.

Anyway great info there, if she has small hands like my wife she first needs to find a gun she can reach the trigger easily while maintaining the proper grip. Then worry about caliber. Could also let her try different grain/size bullets in various calibers. I've heard it can make a difference for perceived recoil. If she doesn't like 115gr 9mm maybe try some 124gr or 147gr and see if that's any better. If you reload you might could experiment a bit and make some loads she can shoot well with minimal recoil until she gets used to it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
My fiance like the fullsize M&P 9 over the the 9c. To her, the 9c had too much of a kick to it. What's kind of funny is after shooting the M&P so often, you kind of get use to its recoil.

·
Registered
692 Posts
If she doesn't like the M&Ps have her take a look at Khar's MK series 9mms or the Keltec P-11 or PF-9. The Kahr is by far higher quality but the Keltec has a lifetime warranty and a solid reputation, not to mention being extremely affordable and tailor made for smaller hands. It is, however, a poly frame.

http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/p11.html

http://www.kahr.com/PA-1_9mm_mk.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts