MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the handgun community as well as to this forum and I just wanted to ask a couple of questions. I just purchased the M&P 45c, which I love so far. After much deliberation between the Glock 36 and the XD-M, I went with the M&P and I am happy that I did. My first question is in regards to ammo. What kind of recommendations do people have for range ammo vs. EDC ammo. From what I've read I'm thinking perhaps 185g FMJ for range and 230g JHP +P when I'm concealing. What are your thoughts?

My last question is in regards to cleaning and maintenance. Any suggestions on cleaning kits/lubricants? I appreciate any and all advice!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Hi -- Great choice in the .45M&P...of course nobody here is likely to tell you any differently.

In your shoes, I'd shoot the same bullet weight and power both in practice and carry loads. It may not make a big difference to the way you shoot, but I would try to minimize it. That being said, any good JHP load will work defensively if it's reliable in your particular gun...try several brands and see if any one is more accurate or reliable than another.

I like G96 aerosol for cleaning and general lubrication... Have a careful look at your gun's manual for specific lubrication points...a couple of drops of oil on a Q-tip or similar will do for them. You may need to be more careful about lubrication and protection in humid or coastal areas than in dry inland locations, so give some thought to that as well.

Enjoy shooting your 45C!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi -- Great choice in the .45M&P...of course nobody here is likely to tell you any differently.

In your shoes, I'd shoot the same bullet weight and power both in practice and carry loads. It may not make a big difference to the way you shoot, but I would try to minimize it. That being said, any good JHP load will work defensively if it's reliable in your particular gun...try several brands and see if any one is more accurate or reliable than another.

I like G96 aerosol for cleaning and general lubrication... Have a careful look at your gun's manual for specific lubrication points...a couple of drops of oil on a Q-tip or similar will do for them. You may need to be more careful about lubrication and protection in humid or coastal areas than in dry inland locations, so give some thought to that as well.

Enjoy shooting your 45C!
That makes good sense, Token. I suppose I was just thinking in terms of $$$. I'll definitely want to shoot some rounds of quality ammo through it but I probably won't always be able to afford it. Suggestions?

I'll look into the G96 aerosol - thanks for the advice. Have you heard good things about Royal Purple lubricant? I live in Maine right now and it's mighty cold but I'll soon have to store my 45c for a while and the Royal Purple says it's good for extreme weather conditions/changes as well as good enough for storage. I didn't know how well known it was. Thank you!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Welcome from Texas! I use Lucas Gun Oil and have never had a problem with it. I claims to be and "All Weather" oil.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I'm always thrilled when another person discovers the 45c...congratulations. I can't say as I'd recommend any particular ammo, and any recommendations may not make any difference right now anyway since you'll be lucky to find anything at all, let alone have any choice.

But, I'm a big fan of the Speer Gold Dot, often available in 'Law Enforcement' packaging of 50 rd boxes for about $35 roughly. I run the 185 gr standard variety (not the 'short barrel' which is only available in 20 rd boxes AFAIK, and not the +P). In the 45c this stuff packs a real punch. For range practice I shoot a wide variety of handloads, and haven't shot factory ammo in the gun in ages. However, if you're looking for factory ammo that's a bit less expensive yet still mimics the feel of the Big Boy self defense rounds, then I might suggest trying one or two of the Fiocchi varieties. My experience with most Fiocchi ammo is that it is not downloaded like Winchester white box & Federal Champion, etc.

My experience so far with Armscor ammo is that it appears to be excellent in every respect and reasonably priced, and manufactured in Montana.

For lubes, I've used Ballistol, motor oil, Hoppes, white grease in the spray can, Liquid Wrench spray lube, Break Free CLP, Kroil and for the sliding parts, Vaseline. They've all worked equally well. Thanks for the reminder about Royal Purple--I have an entire quart of it and wouldn't hesitate for a moment to use it on the gun.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Welcome from Ohio :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm always thrilled when another person discovers the 45c...congratulations. I can't say as I'd recommend any particular ammo, and any recommendations may not make any difference right now anyway since you'll be lucky to find anything at all, let alone have any choice.

But, I'm a big fan of the Speer Gold Dot, often available in 'Law Enforcement' packaging of 50 rd boxes for about $35 roughly. I run the 185 gr standard variety (not the 'short barrel' which is only available in 20 rd boxes AFAIK, and not the +P). In the 45c this stuff packs a real punch. For range practice I shoot a wide variety of handloads, and haven't shot factory ammo in the gun in ages. However, if you're looking for factory ammo that's a bit less expensive yet still mimics the feel of the Big Boy self defense rounds, then I might suggest trying one or two of the Fiocchi varieties. My experience with most Fiocchi ammo is that it is not downloaded like Winchester white box & Federal Champion, etc.

My experience so far with Armscor ammo is that it appears to be excellent in every respect and reasonably priced, and manufactured in Montana.

For lubes, I've used Ballistol, motor oil, Hoppes, white grease in the spray can, Liquid Wrench spray lube, Break Free CLP, Kroil and for the sliding parts, Vaseline. They've all worked equally well. Thanks for the reminder about Royal Purple--I have an entire quart of it and wouldn't hesitate for a moment to use it on the gun.
Thanks for the insight, Bongo. I'm heading over to the local shops to see what I can scrounge up for ammo. At least I don't have to hunt for 40 cal around here because that stuff is like unicorns. I'll re-post with my finds. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I agree...shoot the same weight in practice that you plan to carry...if you can. Also, I'm a Ballistol guy when it comes to cleaning my M&P FS9. I use both the aerosol spray and also the oil plus a bit of Hoppe's 9. I bought an Otis cleaning kit (though you don't need to) and have been very pleased.

Welcome and it's good to have you in the house!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am going to +1 on the 185 grain Gold Dot for carry ammo, with the short tube on the compact you won't see an advantage using a +p loading, you are better served with a bullet design that performs well at lower velocities and the Gold Dot is one of the best.

·
Registered
7 Posts
As for .45 ACP, I like heavy (230 +P) and slow. Good penetration and a slightly larger wound cavity compared to the lighter bullets out there. The difference, though, is not as significant as something like training and practice. You picked a good forum.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts