MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy guys. I am getting my CCL in a few weeks and will be purchasing a new carry gun in the very near future. Right now I have my choices narrowed down to the M&P compact 9mm or the Taurus PT145 .45 caliber.



I was all set to buy the PT145 until I put the M&P compact in my hand. Boy does it feel good! However, the safety on this gun is causing me some concern. Am I correct that once a round is chambered, all you have to do is pull the trigger?!?!? There is no manual safety? Isn't this rather dangerous for drawing and holstering?



I appreciate any input on this subject. Also, for those who have owned the compact, what are your general thoughts?



Todd
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
505 Posts
you are correct, there is no external safety...the gun is only as safe as the hand you put it in



it doesnt have an external safety is has built in trigger safetys. lots of people have them and love them...the M&P9c will prob be my next purchase



i myself was also leary about buying a gun without a safety at first...i quickly overcame that however...its a pretty good distance you have to sqweeze the trigger to fire a round so i dont think it will be to likely that you will bump the trigger enough to set a round off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
BoneDigger said:
However, the safety on this gun is causing me some concern. Am I correct that once a round is chambered, all you have to do is pull the trigger?!?!? There is no manual safety? Isn't this rather dangerous for drawing and holstering?


See Im quite the opposite. I like guns with no external safety. If I ever need to use my gun, I dont want to have to worry about flipping a safety off, I wanna be able to point and click. Is it dangerous? Well like Pat said, its only as safe as the hand you put it in, and if I didnt trust myself, then I wouldnt even have my CCW permit to begin with. And as far as it being safe while drawing and holstering, drawing it really doesnt matter because you're pulling the gun up, so the trigger cant really be pulled, but holstering should be done with caution no matter what gun, safety or not.



Now, general remarks on the compact, its a great gun, Im very happy I purchased it. It shoots great, I havent had any problems with it (just under 1000 rnds through mine, all different kinds of ammo), I say give it a shot. No pun intended.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
I carry a Glock 19, and my wife just got a M&P9c. They are functionally very similar, and neither has an external safety. At the same time, both of them are made so that they cannot fire unless the trigger is pulled. This means that while it's in the holster, I know it's safe. I have a good holster, and always draw so that my finger does not touch the trigger. It requires diligence, of course, but so does the handling of any gun.



I prefer simplicity of knowing that if I handle it correctly, it will be safe, and at the same time it will be ready when (and if) I need it.



This is still consistent with Jeff Cooper's Rules of Gun Safety



RULE I: ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED

RULE II: NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY

RULE III: KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

RULE IV: BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET



Keep in mind that most revolvers have no external safeties. Glock has been doing this for decades, and many manufacturers are now following suit (Sig has DAK trigger, XD is very similar, Walther has the QA, etc.)



It's good that you are considering what you feel comfortable with. If you look around, I'm sure you'll see plenty of people that insist on an external safety, too. But there are plenty of us who considered it and decided that proper handling and internal safeties made more sense than an external safety.



good luck in your quest
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
I just read this on another forum:

http://www.indianasnewscenter.com/Story.as...p;NStoryID=4740



...the Fort Wayne pizza store employee who was shot and killed on the job over the weekend had a gun at the time of the robbery.



The information comes as police are asking the public for leads in the unsolved crime.



We found out the victim was armed from police sources and Rick Harkelroad, the owner of the Tasty Pizza store on Fairfield Avenue where the shooting took place.



23-year old Chad Brunson, the night manager, was shot in the head early Sunday, after two black men with their faces covered burst in and demanded cash.



A police source said Brunson pulled out a gun during the holdup, and that when officers responded, they found Brunson on the floor with gun in hand.



That source said the gun had the safety on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
106 Posts
My 9c is the first 'safetyless' pistol I have ever owned.



That, of course, is an incorrect phrase as the pistol has lots of built

in safety features. They all boil down to this: If you load it and pull the

trigger, it will fire. If you don't pull the trigger, it won't fire. In addition

to that, the trigger is designed so the pull that fires it is very unlikely to come

by accident. It really takes a finger pulling it back to function.



I have been a technician most of my life. I like simple and robust

mechanical devices that work 100% of the time and continue to work

even when under distress. Both signs of good engineering.

I like SIMPLE designs, especially for tools that may be used

in an emergency.



I like my Colt Commander a lot. A real lot. I might be buried with it

some day. I consider it very safe, and it has several external safeties

that must be set before it will fire. It's also the only pistol I have

ever had an unintended discharge with. (a slam fire with a high primer)



That said, I now carry my M+P 9c regularly.



As far as I'm concerned, the 'safety' is between my ears where it belongs.



On another note, there is always the possibility of keeping the weapon

with no round in the chamber. I have practiced drawing, charging, and fireing

the pistol and it can be done smoothly and quickly. Surprisingly quickly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
carteach0 said:
On another note, there is always the possibility of keeping the weapon

with no round in the chamber.


IMO thats much worse than having a safety. Atleast with a safety, on the draw you can flip the lever, but if theres no round in the chamber, it takes both hands, and more time to rack the slide.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
carteach0 said:
My 9c is the first 'safetyless' pistol I have ever owned.



That, of course, is an incorrect phrase as the pistol has lots of built

in safety features. They all boil down to this: If you load it and pull the

trigger, it will fire. If you don't pull the trigger, it won't fire. In addition

to that, the trigger is designed so the pull that fires it is very unlikely to come

by accident. It really takes a finger pulling it back to function.



I have been a technician most of my life. I like simple and robust

mechanical devices that work 100% of the time and continue to work

even when under distress. Both signs of good engineering.

I like SIMPLE designs, especially for tools that may be used

in an emergency.



I like my Colt Commander a lot. A real lot. I might be buried with it

some day. I consider it very safe, and it has several external safeties

that must be set before it will fire. It's also the only pistol I have

ever had an unintended discharge with. (a slam fire with a high primer)



That said, I now carry my M+P 9c regularly.



As far as I'm concerned, the 'safety' is between my ears where it belongs.



On another note, there is always the possibility of keeping the weapon

with no round in the chamber. I have practiced drawing, charging, and fireing

the pistol and it can be done smoothly and quickly. Surprisingly quickly.


I agree with everything said here thus far. The best safety is between your ears. The gun wont fire unless you pull the trigger.



Out of curiosity (as I just bought my M&P9c) what holster are you using for everyday carry?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,207 Posts
BoneDigger,

I too had similar apprehensions about owning a handgun without an external safety but have owned 3 M&Ps and am looking to buy my 4th when the .45 comes out. I have no regrets and am comfortable with handling these pistols on a daily basis as my CCW and otherwise. The compact 9 is a smooth shooting very accurate and controllable firearm. Simply put, I love it!



Sporwick,

My primary daily holster is a standard Crossbreed IWB with adjustable clips. I use this for both the compact and fullsize. So far I have tried the Comp-tac Infidel and C-TAC, and the Fist K1. In my opinion the Crossbreed is the most comforable and best at preventing printing. I also have a Don Hume for when I need to quickly take my holster on and off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
I have had my CCW not even a month and I purchased a M&P9c mainly because if the feel & no external safety. I have had it on me in my home & everywhere I go with no round in the pipe for now. I am still practicing draw & holster many times a day to make sure that I do not ever put my finger on the trigger. I feel that maybe in about a week I will then carry one in the chamber and when I am ready to do that it will be the only way I carry because who would carry a unloaded gun?



Like the man said in the previous post "the safety is between your ears" and if I ever have to use it which I hope that I will never have to I want to think about nothing other than sighting & what is behind my target.



That is a sad story about the pizza owner but I know a guy that had a UD in a shop office while picking up his .40 HK off the desk before leaving for the day. The bullet shot out a office window at head level thru a busy walkway in the building. No one was hurt but when I asked him about what happened he said that MOST of the time he keeps nothing in the pipe, safety on or de-cocked, this time he forgot but most importantly HE PULLED THE TRIGGER!! I think that with all the variables he carries his gun around with that he just got lazy minded.



Just remember that if you ever have to pull it out and use it you wont have as much time to think as the person did comitting the said crime. Good Luck with your purchase.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
106 Posts
Mdnitedrftr said:
[quote name='carteach0']On another note, there is always the possibility of keeping the weapon

with no round in the chamber.


IMO thats much worse than having a safety. Atleast with a safety, on the draw you can flip the lever, but if theres no round in the chamber, it takes both hands, and more time to rack the slide.[/quote]



With a carry weapon, I believe in practicing from every reasonable condition.

That includes unloaded, holstered unloaded, holstered empty chamber, and

holstered ready to go.



Actual carry all the time..... that is a personal decision. My choice is with

a chambered round on my 9c. The same with the Colt, cocked and locked.



I have practiced draw and fire from a concealed carry with an empty chamber.

With the 9c, I was surprised at how little it slowed me down. It was almost a

natural motion to rack the slide with the supporting hand on the way from

holster to point.



I also practice strong hand, weak hand, both hands, strong eye, weak eye,

from holster, from pocket, and from the bench. When I have time to assemble some

gadgets, I will also practice from barricades, prone, and kneeling.



Safety wise...... as I said: "The real safety is between my ears". That means

no excuse if something bad happens. It was my fault.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
106 Posts
Sporwick said:
Out of curiosity (as I just bought my M&P9c) what holster are you using for everyday carry?


I carry both Colt and M+P 9c in a Galco JAK slide. Very comfortable and stable.

Only gripe...... could be easier to reholster (takes a glance sometimes to nail it).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
carteach0 said:
[quote name='Sporwick']



Out of curiosity (as I just bought my M&P9c) what holster are you using for everyday carry?


I carry both Colt and M+P 9c in a Galco JAK slide. Very comfortable and stable.

Only gripe...... could be easier to reholster (takes a glance sometimes to nail it).[/quote]



Does the hole close when you remove the gun? I would think that the belt pressure would force it to close a bit.



Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
106 Posts
Sporwick said:
[quote name='carteach0'][quote name='Sporwick']



Out of curiosity (as I just bought my M&P9c) what holster are you using for everyday carry?


I carry both Colt and M+P 9c in a Galco JAK slide. Very comfortable and stable.

Only gripe...... could be easier to reholster (takes a glance sometimes to nail it).[/quote]



Does the hole close when you remove the gun? I would think that the belt pressure would force it to close a bit.



Thanks.[/quote]



It closes a bit, but not as much as I thought it would. Holstering one handed is

not an issue, at least this early in the holsters life. It is a small holster though,

and even closing a little can make that hole harder to hit without looking

at it.



On the whole I am happy with this holster. It's stable, fits the pistol nicely,

is very easy to draw from, and is so comfortable I often forget it's on.



The downside.... no security to speak of other than gravity and a good fit.



I have owned several Galco holsters, and the quality is top notch. I won't hesitate

to buy another.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top