MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a new Desantis Belt Scabbard with thumb break and lock hole. I am not used to wearing a belt holster off-duty. This is a holster with a cant to it. I wear a Safariland 070 on duty and had been wearing a Fist Straight Cant IWB off duty. Any tips on how to figure out exactly how the holster should be positioned on my hip. No matter where I put it, it seems like the cant is severe enough I can't hold my hand on the grip and it still be comfortable, like I can with my duty holster. I supposed the whole point of the forward cant is to make the gun more concealable and comfortable while in a car and this is part of the reason I wanted the holster. With the long winters here in Minnesota I can easily conceal a belt holster. Does anyone have any pictures with their belt holsters on to give me ideas where you position your forward cant holster? Thanks for you help. Any ideas for black leather holsters with thumb breaks that are straight cant? Sean

·
Registered
387 Posts
I tried out a Fwd Can't and to me it seemed the best way was....

Behind the hip bone to just short of the middle of your back.

(thus contouring to the angle of your hand as your reaching back)

I've never wore one for any extended period of time so

i'll let someone, anyone who has finish

·
Registered
291 Posts
I carry about 3:30 to 4:00. In the hollow of the hip. This way the grip falls mostly under my arm when standing erect.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
I'm with 45guy ... I wear mine (an IWB with cant) at about the 4 o'clock position. But it's very much a matter of personal taste, comfort, and convenience.

Take your pistol, check that it is unloaded, check again (you know the drill). Put the pistol in the holster. Now, with a comfortable grip on the gun as if you were drawing or shooting the pistol one-handed, put the holster inside your belt. This works even for an OWB holster. You're not getting it to stay in place, you just want to find a natural, comfortable position. It may be 3 o'clock it may be 5 o'clock or anywhere in between depending on your build, the exact cant of the holster, how high or low you wear your britches, etc.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help. It was very weird to adjust to a different holster and can't. I think the 4 o'clock works best for me. Again, thanks for the help. Sean

·
Registered
36 Posts
forward cant problems

Have you tried the forward cant (muzzle forward) at 4 o'clock while wearing seat belts? I don't like a forward cant except for cowboy action and IPSC shooting. For years I carried strong side FBI cant at 3 o'clock -that was the way our department did it and you get used to doing it that way. Since I retired I switched over to a straight drop cross-draw just forward of the hip. A Sidearmor with the 1911 and the Blade-tec that came with the S&W M&P .40. Plan to switch over to a SERPA holster when they are available for the M&P .40. The numbers will be: 410525BK-R/L for the matte finish and 410025BK-R/L for the carbon finish. Besides being better able to present your weapon while wearing a seat belt - you can establish your grip and be ready to make your presentation if the need arises in a possible confrontation and not look like your are ready to draw your weapon if the incident turns out not to require it.

B. Savage

NRA and N.C. Dept. of Justice CCH Instructor

1 - 6 of 6 Posts