MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just went to orientation for my new job today. It is a position working for Target in Alabama. My problem is that in the Employee Handbook, it says "Never have firearms, other weapons or explosives on Target property." BUT, as a Alabama Pistol Permit holder, I am legally allowed to carry a concealed gun on my person and in my vehicle.

I would like to be able to carry while working, but this quote apparently forbids it. I am tempted to carry anyways, and just make sure it is well concealed, and hope I don't loose my job for it.

The next best alternative would be to leave my carry gun in the car (properly locked up). I will do at least this to prevent myself from becoming a victim, but it is less than ideal considering it leaves me empty handed while I enter and leave the building. It seems like the Handbook forbids this as well if I park in the Target parking lot.

Other info:

This area has a recent history of recent robberies at neighboring establishments.

The Handbook has a provision that allows my personal belongings to be searched without my consent. It calls personal belongings, "a coat, backpack, lunches, bag or a purse... or any other personal property." So, IMO a pat-down is unlikely and a car search is not going to happen.

Lots of shifts, I will leave after the store closes and many of the other employees are already gone.

There are lockers available to me, but they seem to be subject to search. Their location is under video surveillance, so I don't think I could go from concealed carry at the beginning and end of a shift to disarmed without being seen.

So, how would you deal with this situation?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Thats a tuff one. i read a post on here somewhere the guy said no low paying job was worth his life. i would be tempted to carry with deep concealment and hope to not get caught

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I would ask the person who hired you.. if they caught you with a weapon on premisis (i.e. in your car or on your person) not only could they fire you but they could also press charges if they felt necessary.. too big of a risk becoming a felon and getting your gun rights taken away-JMHO-Jason

·
Registered
910 Posts
I would carry anyway or find a job elsewhere. Problem is I doubt there are many companies out there that would allow concealed carry amongst their employees. They probably don't want to be held liable for an employee shooting someone.

I would just hide it, and hide it well.

·
Registered
106 Posts
To carry or not to carry...that is the question. Think of it this way, you're life is worth more than any job, but without a job, you don't really have a life or the means to buy your guns (unless your parents/family members are millionaires). It's a "Catch 22," and many of us are plague by the same problem everyday.

I'm an advocate for the people right to carry, but I'm also mindful of the individual's right. Don't get me wrong, I carry my gun everywhere I can, and I try to keep it close as possible when I'm not allowed to have it on me (i.e. bars, clubs, and ets.). The best thing to do is actually quite simple, BE AWARE OF YOUR SURROUNDINGS.

Even when I do carry my pistol, I try my best to avoid questionable areas in order to stay clear of unnecessary confrontations. Just remember this, though you're license to carry, you're not license to kill and should NEVER pick fights just because you're license.

Sorry, I deviated a little bit, but I hope this was somewhat helpful.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What kind of Job?

This particular Target is a Super Target and I am working in the Starbucks that is just inside one of the doors. There is a register there that I will use to ring up customer orders.

Also, I am still in school but am working at the same time to pay for it, so I need some sort of job with flexible hours.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Re: What kind of Job?

mort said:
This particular Target is a Super Target and I am working in the Starbucks that is just inside one of the doors. There is a register there that I will use to ring up customer orders.

Also, I am still in school but am working at the same time to pay for it, so I need some sort of job with flexible hours.

It's all about how much "risk" you are willing to take. Risk of loosing your job, risk of getting hung out to dry by the job if you every "need" the thing. It's a loose loose. I wouldn't even consider carrying on your hip or under your belt. Way to obvious in the close work environment.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Re: What kind of Job?

98sr20ve said:
[quote name='mort']This particular Target is a Super Target and I am working in the Starbucks that is just inside one of the doors. There is a register there that I will use to ring up customer orders.

It's all about how much "risk" you are willing to take. Risk of loosing your job, risk of getting hung out to dry by the job if you every "need" the thing. It's a loose loose. I wouldn't even consider carrying on your hip or under your belt. Way to obvious in the close work environment.[/quote]

I agree 100% since it is clearly written in the handbook which they expect you to read you cannot use the "I didnt know" excuse. you just got your cwp you dont want to lose that privelage or lose the right to own anymore firearms with a felony. plus you got 120 degree coffee use that you will be good

p.s. I would find my way around it if they say no firearms bring pepper spray if they dont say anything about a tazer use that my .02 though

·
Registered
76 Posts
there are other weapons too you might want to consider. fact is, you took a job that says you can't carry. it's their right to say that and yours to find another job.

I like the idea above - be very aware of surroundings, don't put yourself in bad positions, never be alone, and all that. Fact is, if you were carrying, and someone came into rob you, there's a chance you'd not have to, or get to use your gun any how.

We all have choices.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
In most states that allow a person to carry, it is not illegal to carry while working for an employer that does not allow it; the most that can happen is you getting fired. It's usually not against the law, but against company policy. BUT, I'm not sure about the laws in Alabama.

The first thing you need to do is find out if it legal to carry on your employer's property.

If it's not forbidden by law, then I would find a means of discrete carry. And keep in mind that you run the risk of being fired if anyone finds out. TRUST NO ONE.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
YukonGlocker said:
TRUST NO ONE.

EXACTLY if you dont know FIND OUT if you are 100% right or wrong at least youre 100%

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Those "OTHER" Weapons

The wording of the text, "Never have firearms, OTHER WEAPONS, or explosives on Target Property," seems to me to also prohibit tazers, pepper spray, etc. However, I would presume that the company's reaction to those would be much less likely to freak somebody out.

I also realize I could place a pseudo anonymous call to an Employee Service 800 number and pose a similar hypothetical situation to them.

I think this is less likely to get me in trouble than asking a local HR guy or department head.

I am sure some of you work for companies who say they prohibit firearms. How do you guys deal with it/ work around?

Also, what makes you (101 Combat Vet) think it is a felony to carry when my employer tells me not to? It seems like a offense I could get fired for, but not prosecuted criminally?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well...now that a good chunk of the world knows where you work it's a short trip to figure out who you are. Next time be a bit more selective with the details.

IMHO If you want people to respect your 2A rights. You need to respect their property rights.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Re: Those "OTHER" Weapons

mort said:
Also, what makes you (101 Combat Vet) think it is a felony to carry when my employer tells me not to? It seems like a offense I could get fired for, but not prosecuted criminally?

When not in the Army I live in WI. and other WI. residents can vouch for the VERY STRICT CCW laws. If you save your own life by shooting a bg w/o a CWP (WI residents dont have that luxury) you will be charged with a felony. I dont know how strict your state laws are but my view from what you said no means no If you are in the situation where you need to use your firearm the store could press charges (if an innocent person got hurt) and there is your felony. JMHO

·
Registered
53 Posts
Breaking the rules of a employee handbook is hardly a felony. Target rules gets him fired. When I got my CCW permit I also had a handbook about the rules regarding CCW. The city DA office can also help with that issue. I am probably in the minority but our DA gives a yearly lecture about CCW and the law. Very helpful.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
you are right but in a scenario where you need to use your firarm and an innocent person gets struck or even killed that family sues the store. Who do you think will take the blame???? all charges will be against the parties shooting not the store. Paranoid is a lot better then prison. Thats just me talking :roll: theres a couple felonies that will rise in that situation also that company has put that in there for a reason it is called CYOA (cover your own a**) do you think that company is looking after an employee that breaks their rules or that company???

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Re: Those "OTHER" Weapons

mort said:
The wording of the text, "Never have firearms, OTHER WEAPONS, or explosives on Target Property," seems to me to also prohibit tazers, pepper spray, etc. However, I would presume that the company's reaction to those would be much less likely to freak somebody out.

I also realize I could place a pseudo anonymous call to an Employee Service 800 number and pose a similar hypothetical situation to them.

I think this is less likely to get me in trouble than asking a local HR guy or department head.

I am sure some of you work for companies who say they prohibit firearms. How do you guys deal with it/ work around?

The "other weapons" is there to cover the company against anything. Hell, most anything in the store can be used as a weapon.

I can almost guarantee you that calling the company, or asking the company, will get you no where. They are not going to grant you permission to carry a "weapon".

You need to find out where you stand legally, and make your decision from there.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: YukonGlocker

You need to find out where you stand legally, and make your decision from there.

My understanding of my state law is that with a pistol permit (which I have), I can carry anywhere that it is not prohibited by other law(i.e. federal buildings, court house).

The law does NOT have a clause that would allow property owners to prohibit concealed carry.

Since, my understanding of the law has no legal standing, I will double check this this week with the DA's office.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts