MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, I received an M&P15A...as a gift. I've been wanting one ever since I got the M&P40 about a year ago. The local gun store had one and I made the mistake of picking it up and holding it. The M&P has to be the most comfortable AR style rifle I've ever held. Can't wait to start putting stuff on it. One question...the one I have is chambered for 5.56mm. Can you shoot .223's in it, or do I need to stay with the metric stuff? I absolutely love this gun and I'll try to get some pics of her up pretty soon.

·
Registered
14 Posts
WOW! That's quite a gift!!! You must've been REEEALLY good this year!
Enjoy it & don't forget to post your thoughts/range report!

5.56-rated barrels can shoot lower pressure .223 rounds just fine, so don't worry. Besides, it's much cheaper and readily available. Just shouldn't do it the other way around too often (or at all, in some cases)

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Some Remington White Box .223 works great for plinking, only $7 for 20 rounds at Walmart.

·
Registered
167 Posts
You should "mistakenly" pick up guns more often if there's a chance they'll follow you home without having to pay for them. :wink: Must be nice. Congrats!!!

Yes, you can shoot .223 Remington in 5.56 NATO chambers but not the other way around.

Lastly, I suggest you start putting lots of stuff THROUGH it before putting lots of stuff ON it. ARs look cool w/ stuff hanging off them, but you'll be best served by getting real familiar with manipulating and operating it plain and learning to shoot using iron sights. I guarantee it'll make you a better AR shooter than if you leap right into optics, lights, vertical foregrips, etc.

PLUS, you can put that money into more ammo!!!!

-B

·
Registered
62 Posts
our walmart has federal 200 round bonus packs for 60..... great for plinking...

I send it thru my MP15T all the time...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks fer the info Fellars...I will definitely be putting a lot of rounds through her before I start putting stuff on it. The iron sites will be well used by the time I can afford some of the toys for it. I just love how "thin" and light it feels up against my shoulder...that's why I got an M&P40 a year ago, they just fit my hand like no other gun I've owned.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts