MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I am a pretty new member here. I have seen the full sized M&P's before, but they were bigger than I was interested in, but they did appear to be a very nice gun. I have read all that I could find on the M&P guns and they sounded pretty interesting to me. This past Sunday, I made the mistake of going into a local shooting range and they had just received the M&P Compacts. I picked up the .40 and it was pretty much love at first feel!! It felt awesome in my hand!! So, I did something that I hope I will not regret, I went back in yesterday and traded in my Glock G27 for this gun
. The only question still up in the air with these new M&P firearms, for me, is durability and reliability. I have talked with a couple of people who's opinions I respect very much and they think that they are awesome guns and will hold up well. The Glock was a great gun and has never given my a bit of trouble. I do not have the $$ to just go out and buy another gun, so this was the only way to do it. So far, I really like the M&P!!

I got home too late last night to shoot the gun and it needed to be cleaned and lubed first anyway, so I spent the evening doing that. She is looking nice!!

I live WAY OUT in the country, so this morning, I left home a bit early and drove up the road behind our house. Now I will admit to not shooting enough to be a real marksman and I could shoot ok with my Glock but not very impressive stuff. This morning I set a can up at about 30 ft and fired one off. First shot out of my new gun, I HIT THE CAN
. Second shot, I hit the can
. Third shot, I missed
. I honestly am not sure I would have hit all three times with my Glock, and the M&P is still a brand new gun. I have read and can now see(feel) that the trigger is a bit gritty feeling. It sounds like that will go away in time and with rounds through the gun. Also, if I knew how, I could probably polish some parts and smooth it out. In the mean time, I have just been doing some dry firing to help work it out. There is noticeably less felt recoil with the M&P. It is still a snappy round, but it feels good. I am guessing here, but the better shooting and the recoil are probably due to a more ergonomic gun. The Glock is kind of like holding a brick

I hope this report does not sound like I am knocking the Glock. I am not at all. I used to talk down about Glock until I bought one. I will not ever do that again. I think that the Glock is an outstanding gun with a very good track record. I will probably buy another one someday, if I get extra $$.

If any of you are looking for a holster for your M&P's, I would like to point you to a man in Florida who does outstanding work(http://kdholsters.com/). Kevin make leather holsters and IMHO, they are a work of art. I emailed Kevin on Sunday asking him if he would be able to make me a holster for the Compact. I got an email Monday morning from him saying that bet he could. In fact, he had just bought the 9mm Compact. I will be getting one of his Cochise Defenders!! There is a waiting period involved, but what you receive is worth every single day. He made a holster for my Kel tec P3AT. I will post a picture of it.

So to close this, so far, I am extremely impressed with my new M&P .40 Compact. It is a great gun!! I will also admit that I like the part that says U.S.A!!

Here are some pictures for you all. Thanks for reading.

Ron

The holster Kevin made for my P3AT.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Congrats!!!

I don't think you'll ever need to worry about developing "trader's remorse" for swapping your G27 for it. It was a well-though-out decision and you sound happy with your choice, as you should be. I know I am, too.

Besides, you can always get another Glock if the desire moves you in the future. But if I was you, I'd wait until they redesign their frames to look and feel more like an M&P anyway.

Enjoy it!

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was about 9 weeks. A long wait, but one great holster!!

Ron

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Congrats!!!

APismoClam said:
I don't think you'll ever need to worry about developing "trader's remorse" for swapping your G27 for it. It was a well-though-out decision and you sound happy with your choice, as you should be. I know I am, too.

Besides, you can always get another Glock if the desire moves you in the future. But if I was you, I'd wait until they redesign their frames to look and feel more like an M&P anyway.

Enjoy it!

I don't think that I am going to regret it at all either. Unless it just falls apart (which I really doubt), I am going to love it for a long time. I just can't get over how much more comfortable it is to handle!!

Ron

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Welcome to the world of the MP!

Hey Glocker. Your fun has just begun! Great pictures. You are a good photographer. I have a full sized MP 40 & a MP 9 compact. My MP 40 has been perfect. No failures of any kind with about 1000 or so rounds through it. My 9mm compact had some minor feed problems but S & W promptly fixed it at no cost. Great life time warranty. I'm not suprised that you were so accurate with it. My MP's make me look like a marksman (well, almost :roll: ).

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What, you mean I did not just get better overnight?
. I really think that I am going to like this gun, A LOT!!

Ron

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It is less than with the G27 I had. It is very controllable IMHO.

Ron

·
Registered
30 Posts
All right RONT, I just went ahead and ordered the Cochise Defender. I can't wait, it looks great and has a great price. The wait is gonna kill me though.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thinkat, you will not be disappointed at all. Kevin is an artist, who's material is leather. It will be an awesome holster!! I also think that his prices are great for what you get. I have not put in my order yet for the Cochise Defender, but it will not be long and just like you, the wait is going to kill me. Patience is not one of my strong points and especially with a holster from Kevin as I know it is going to be nice!!

Ron

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thinkat, I also just turned in my order for the same holster. Now the wait is just going to kill me!!

Ron

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi m&pstevo, the picture in the post was only shown as an example of the work done by K&D holsters. I, personally would not want a holster made for the M&P ( or any larger gun) to only have one clip. The holster would not be stable and would tend to move around a bit. The two clip system distributes the weight much better and the holster will not move around as much. The Cochise Defender will let you adjust the cant and the height of the holster.

I hope that helps.

Ron

1 - 20 of 24 Posts