MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new handgun owner and a proud owner of an M&P 40 full size. I love the ergonomics and it's very accurate, but the trigger is gritty feeling. I recently tried a new M&P 40c that didn't feel at all like that. I've done some research online and see that it is a fairly common complaint with the M&P line. I know that a lot of people upgrade the trigger and seer, but I'm not ready to go there yet. I spoke with S&W and they said that I can send it back under warranty and that they would take care of it. Has anyone gone this route? Did you notice any difference (hopefully an improvement)? Thanks!

·
Registered
460 Posts
I posted this question about a 9c a few months back. I talked with a gunsmith who told me to polish the USB and round off its edges a bit. I did exactly that, and found a clear improvement, but I finally bought the Apex USB. The Apex unit goes in with no modifications the the slide, and it made everything feel so much smoother that it was hard to accept that I had made only that one change.

I suspect S&W will polish things a bit and what you'll wind up with is much the same as I wound up with when I polished my own.

But they are the experts -- it can't hurt. (and there's no ammo for the range right now anyway)

·
Registered
70 Posts
What jwh said. I don't have it handy but find the link for Burwell trigger job and follow instructions reshaping and polishing the USB. Pretty easy job and will do wonders for smoothing the trigger. Or you can buy the Apex. Either way be sure to polish the trigger bar assembly too.

·
Registered
331 Posts
The trigger was gritty on my M&P 40fs when I bought it. I ordered the USB from Apex and installed it in about 15 minutes. It was a easy install and the trigger is very smooth now, love it. I also know more about how the 40 works now. I didn't have to send it back. Was a win win for me.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I happend to try out a new M&P 40 at a Cablelas in Wichita last week and sure enough, the take up was still gritty, but the break is clean.

I don't advocate this, but my 19 month old "stock" M&P 40 has no grit whatsoever and breaks like glass at 4#, but I lost track of the "grittiness" after 2000+ rounds. The count is now 6000+. With this many rounds, I know exactly where it breaks and where it resets so the whole thing is sort of second nature now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts