MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everybody, just want to introduce myself. Relatively new shooter and first time pistol buyer. Currently in my waiting period to pickup the pistol.

After a few times at the range, I decided to make my first pistol purchase an M&P 40. I loved the way it shot as well as the ergonomics. Went with the M&P 40, #109200 in black. But did order a back strap and extended magazine release in dark earth to add some contrast.

I ordered some early upgrades during my 11 day waiting period here in California. They'll be installed either the day I pickup the pistol or at the soonest appointment available at my local gunsmith.

Upgrades Ordered:
The Apex AEK Trigger
the Apex Duty Carry Action Enhancement Kit [DCAEK]
the Apex Reset Assist Mechanism [RAM]

Also as a spare barrel and one to swap when going shooting with my mother and female friends, I ordered a conversion barrel from KKM Precision.
.40cal to 9mm conversion

***ALSO PICKED UP SOME EXTRA 9MM AND .40CAL MAGAZINES FROM MIDWAYUSA***
9mm - http://www.midwayusa.com/product/86...s-and-w-m-and-p-9mm-luger-10-round-steel-blue
.40 cal - http://www.midwayusa.com/product/35...-and-p-357-sig-40-s-and-w-10-round-steel-blue

Looking forward to talking with lots of people and learning a lot.
Will upload pictures when I pickup my pistol, possibly some videos as well.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Welcome and congrats!
Looks like you are getting all set up.
You will also need at least one 9 mm magazine while your at it.
Enjoy and shoot safe.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Don't forget to get a 9mm magazine to go with that conversion barrel.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Welcome from a fellow Bay Area 40FS owner!
i have a Storm Lake 40 to 9 conversion barrel and an Apex DCAEK kit installed.
you'll really love the gun after you install the Apex kits. i haven't decided whether to get the trigger or the RAM kit, yet.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Welcome from Wisconsin! Looks like you'll be all set up for some good shooting fun. In case nobody told you don't forget to order some 9MM mags, lol.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome and congrats!
Looks like you are getting all set up.
You will also need at least one 9 mm magazine while your at it.
Enjoy and shoot safe.
Don't forget to get a 9mm magazine to go with that conversion barrel.
Welcome from Wisconsin! Looks like you'll be all set up for some good shooting fun. In case nobody told you don't forget to order some 9MM mags, lol.
thanks for the welcoming
I did pick up a couple 9mm Magazines, just forgot to mention it.

·
Site Staff
9,625 Posts
:welcome:

As mentioned, you should pick up a couple of 9mm mags, the 40 mags will sort of work, not too well though, you will need the 9mm mags for it to work properly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome from a fellow Bay Area 40FS owner!
i have a Storm Lake 40 to 9 conversion barrel and an Apex DCAEK kit installed.
you'll really love the gun after you install the Apex kits. i haven't decided whether to get the trigger or the RAM kit, yet.
thank you, I'm really looking forward to trying out the conversion barrel. One of my buddy's had it and it shot like a dream.

After watching a lot of youtube videos and reviews I decided to go with the AEK trigger and RAM for a better feel on the trigger. I prefer the flatter surface on the AEK and as far as the RAM, strictly for an audible reset. Hearing that click helps me know my firearm is ready. Being a new shooter, didn't only want to rely on the feel. I wanted an audible click I could hear.

Will give you my opinions on the AEK trigger and RAM once installed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:welcome:

As mentioned, you should pick up a couple of 9mm mags, the 40 mags will sort of work, not too well though, you will need the 9mm mags for it to work properly.
appreciate the tip!
I forgot to put that in the original post, but I ordered 3 9mm mags and 3 .40cal mags from MidwayUSA

40 to 9mm conversion barrel on the way and I think I might pickup a factory .357 sig barrel to drop in as well.

Love having so much versatility in one pistol.
:yes

·
Registered
4,539 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Good choice! Have a 40FS with a Storm Lake 9mm conversion myself :)

If this is a new production pistol, I doubt you will be able to install the Apex RAM. Newer versions do not have a sear block that allows for the RAM. I made this mistake myself - ordering a RAM before I had disassembled the gun only to discover that I could not install the RAM. Even without it, the Apex AEK trigger and DCAEK improve the trigger and reset way beyond the factory configuration.

....and welcome to the forum

Hi everybody, just want to introduce myself. Relatively new shooter and first time pistol buyer. Currently in my waiting period to pickup the pistol.

After a few times at the range, I decided to make my first pistol purchase an M&P 40. I loved the way it shot as well as the ergonomics. Went with the M&P 40, #109200 in black. But did order a back strap and extended magazine release in dark earth to add some contrast.

I ordered some early upgrades during my 11 day waiting period here in California. They'll be installed either the day I pickup the pistol or at the soonest appointment available at my local gunsmith.

Upgrades Ordered:
The Apex AEK Trigger
the Apex Duty Carry Action Enhancement Kit [DCAEK]
the Apex Reset Assist Mechanism [RAM]

Also as a spare barrel and one to swap when going shooting with my mother and female friends, I ordered a conversion barrel from KKM Precision.
.40cal to 9mm conversion

***ALSO PICKED UP SOME EXTRA 9MM AND .40CAL MAGAZINES FROM MIDWAYUSA***
9mm - Smith & Wesson Mag S&W M&P 9mm Luger 10-Round Steel Blue
.40 cal - Smith & Wesson Mag S&W M&P 357 Sig 40 S&W 10-Round Steel Blue

Looking forward to talking with lots of people and learning a lot.
Will upload pictures when I pickup my pistol, possibly some videos as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good choice! Have a 40FS with a Storm Lake 9mm conversion myself :)

If this is a new production pistol, I doubt you will be able to install the Apex RAM. Newer versions do not have a sear block that allows for the RAM. I made this mistake myself - ordering a RAM before I had disassembled the gun only to discover that I could not install the RAM. Even without it, the Apex AEK trigger and DCAEK improve the trigger and reset way beyond the factory configuration.

....and welcome to the forum
I appreciate the insight. I'll be taking the pistol and upgraded parts to my local gunsmith for install. If it ends up he can't install the RAM I'll just return it to MidwayUSA. But thanks for the welcome and looking forward to learning more.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Howdy from Ohio...good to have you in the house!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Welcome from North Carolina!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts