MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Just got a new M&P 40 and gotta say this is probably the fitting pistol that I've felt in my hand. I'm liking M&Ps over the Glock and Sigs I have right now. I noticed the trigger felt gritty, but initially just attributed that to what I've read others say is typical of older M&P triggers.

Its not horrible, but there is something about the triggers on my Shield 9 and 40c that feels a bit crisper. I took a look at my slide and noticed the scrapes which I think might be due to my trigger bar.

Please take a look at the below pictures. Near the safety plunger, there some scrapes or I might go so far to say small gouges. Am I being paranoid with any concern on this or will this likely work it self in as the gun breaks-in? Perhaps I need to grow a set and just man up, since these are tools to be used and not to be enclosed in glass to look pretty.

I'm hoping that the small amount of "damage" will not adversely affect life or the reliability of the pistol.

I do have something into S&W, but I'd be interested in what others in the Forum might think.

Thank you.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
If it shoots, shoot it until it breaks, then call S&W.

If it is too disturbing email those pics to S&W and wait for a reply or ask just send it to S&W to look at and not worry about it..

·
Registered
11 Posts
My new M&P 9mm FS has the same problem. I would believe that this is why the trigger is so gritty. It makes sense since the trigger bar tab that depresses the striker plunger moves from front to back and seems to stop being gritty when it starts to depress the plunger, right before the sear lets go of the striker. The grit is the feeling of metal rubbing. I sanded the rough spot on the trigger bar tab to clean up, but not to remove material. It did not get rid of all the grit, but did smooth it out a bit. After another 100 rounds I will take the trigger bar out and polish again. I think it will smooth out over time.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback! I feel better about it. If this was 3 months from now, I wouldn't have even sweated it. Only put 100 through it since I just got over the weekend. I'll try cleaning up the trigger bar. I'll put another 100 through it tomorrow and as long as it shoots without failure and the "damage" doesn't look significantly worse, I'll go ahead and put this into the home defense rotation.

·
Registered
8,322 Posts
Just new gun paranoia,

Trigger bar doesn't even go back that far, except when you remove the slide. This is not the cause of the gritty trigger, it's the factory striker block that causes the grittiness, and the APEX USB eliminates it. No need to bother S&W with this "damage", they already have their hands full with all the low/left complaints (99.3% shooter induced), and this tiny blemish doesn't have anything at all to do with the operation of your pistol.

Go out and shoot the thing, and have fun.

KRWeiss.

·
Registered
11 Posts
KRWeiss, with all due respect, I think a better explanation of what I am saying is the grittiness on take-up. The tab does rub along that ridge, and left a cut on the inside of the tab. AGI has a video of a M&P armorer's course online. During the video he shows a M&P with a cutout of the tab engaging the striker block and the tab moves rearward a fraction of an inch before it starts engaging the striker block up. That must be the take-up. I think newbies, like myself, have a hard time communicating the tactile attributes of a trigger. We both know that if he keeps shooting the trigger bar tab will wear enough, so that there will be no rubbing or grit. You are right about the grit at the point where the take-up is done and the tab engages the striker block, until the striker is released. That should break in too right?

·
Registered
8,322 Posts
The tab does rub along that ridge, and left a cut on the inside of the tab.
First of all, I wasn't speaking to you but to the O.P.

Second, as always you're welcome to your opinion, but the "cut" you're speaking of was caused by the lobe that pushes the trigger bar out of the way to reset the sear. BTW, you might want to put a dab of grease on that.

Third, even if the tab did "rub along that ridge" during trigger press (which it doesn't) the lateral force that the trigger return spring imparts on the trigger bar, especially toward the beginning of the trigger's travel, is not sufficient to cause the gritty takeup you're experiencing.

P.S. I'm not suggesting you forego common sense and have faith in me. These are not my feelings but actual facts which can easily be confirmed. Just one example, remove the striker block and you'll notice that the gritty takeup disappears.

·
Registered
126 Posts
CenCalChris,
Let me add my $.02 here.
I recommend that you remove your slide, make sure the take down lever in the magwell is up.
Slowly pull the trigger, and watch the trigger bar as it moves rearward and moves the sear.
While holding the trigger back, manually push the trigger bar to the right/outside of the pistol.
You will see the sear reset.
Now slowly release the trigger, and you will see and hopefully hear and feel the trigger reset.

If you look at the inside of the slide, you can see a protrusion that is slightly angled from the inside towards the outside of the slide. This is the piece of the slide that pushes the trigger bar towards the right and resets the sear as it slides backwards, then loads the next round and returns to battery.
Now if you noticed, there was no gritty feeling with this exercise.

Look at the Striker block. Notice the less than perfect machining, and the square change from the side to the top. This is where the grittiness comes from.

You can find threads on this forum that explain how to fix this yourself, or you can go the https://apextactical.com/store/product-info.php?pid20.html route.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I see on the Apex block that there is a dome shape, not an angle cut like the factory block. Just to clear it up, I don't mind mine, just gonna let mine wear down. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I put another 100 rounds on my "damaged" 40FS and no issues. Gotta agree with KR, new gun paranoia. I do think there is something to what CenCalChris mentions as the the feeling I was getting was a little more than gritty. I now understand the gritty feel due to the striker block after a buddy showed me the differnce on thier gun by pressing up on the block to disegage with a skinny screwdriver fed from the back while pulling trigger. I feel my original issue was more than that. This was a grindy type feel, I do believe the blemishes are due to the angle. Maybe something like a misaligned slide when attempting a dry firing caused the blemish. Either way, through dry firing and the range, its already started wearing in. It'll be fine like everyone said.

On the other hand my new 40c had 5 FTF's out of 100! That I'm 99.9% certain is user error. Likely bumping up on the slide release. Had the problem when I had the extended slide release on my Glock 20. Need to work on my grip and then make sure I'm seating that mag correctly during my next range visit.

Thanks for the advice and assurances!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts